The Gophers athletics department still owes some $40 million for its $166 million Athletes Village

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shooter:

The Gophers athletics department still owes some $40 million for its $166 million Athletes Village complex that opened three years ago.

Go Gophers!!

So in just over 10 years we have paid $126 Million dollars for TCF, build a top 30 Athletes Village, hired a top 25 coach and increased revenue by over 30%. How many of you would like to pay of 80% of your home in 10 years or less, all while building a mother-in-law suite on the property. While it would be great to have a person who could just write a 100million dollar check (Samford Health) we dont have that.

So in just over 10 years we have paid $126 Million dollars for TCF, build a top 30 Athletes Village, hired a top 25 coach and increased revenue by over 30%. How many of you would like to pay of 80% of your home in 10 years or less, all while building a mother-in-law suite on the property. While it would be great to have a person who could just write a 100million dollar check (Samford Health) we dont have that.
Not following you numbers here...

does the U care? they bring in almost $400 million a year in donations, so they can cover the interest. Let it hang out there hoping eventually some alum decides to donate $40M specifically for sports?

When the Gophers' football team wins the Rose Bowl, all of those donations will just come flooding in to the program.

Seriously, that used to be the party line, that a winning FB team would generate a big increase in donations. No idea what happened to donations after 2019. If the Gophs can have a big year in 2021, hopefully we'll find out if that translates into more donations.

I think donors prefer to commit money to new projects and upgrades. Not pay off University debt.
The reason there is debt to begin with though is because they didn’t have enough donors to pay it off initially.

Charlie Walters breaks that donations were down during the pandemic. I bet it was just u of m athletics too. No one else had lower donations than expected in 2020

You have a THIRD moniker out here?
Out here? Where is out here? Is GH located in Siberia?

Also, did you slip on the ice and smash your head on the sidewalk this winter? I've only ever had one account.

SHOULD they have it paid off? Someone show why...

I'm not paying my house off early... the rate is super low and I'd rather spend / invest that $$$ elsewhere where it is doing WAY better than paying off my house ...

These numbers alone are dumb.

Last edited:

It's going to suck when I show up for the Ohio state game and the gates are locked and there is a foreclosure notice pinned to the door

Top Bottom