The Golden Gopher defense

RememberMurray

Reaction score
Rossi is a helluva defensive coach. The staff has done an excellent job recruiting and coaching players who can run and hit. The defense gives us a chance to win games week in and week out.

North Carolina will be an excellent test for this group.

Rossi is a helluva defensive coach. The staff has done an excellent job recruiting and coaching players who can run and hit. The defense gives us a chance to win games week in and week out.

North Carolina will be an excellent test for this group.
This, so much this.

Next week will be a very big challenge.

NC has a Mo-type RB. We need to stop him and limit Drake Maye’s deep throws. Rossi will have a plan; hope the D can execute against a polished, talented offense. Nice if Cody L were available and 100% for the game.

NC’s defense is good (much better than last year’s) but not great. Our offense needs to take a big step forward next week. Can’t waste trips to the red zone when playing an opponent like UNC. If Athan can sharpen up on deep throws, and if DT is for real, this could be one helluva game.

So ... was this big test offense just "overlooking" App State, of the Sun Belt? Or what?

So ... was this big test offense just "overlooking" App State, of the Sun Belt? Or what?
Against App Stat, UNC put up 527 yards of offense: rushed for 319 and passed for 208. UNC’s offense didn’t turn the ball over—no fumbles or interceptions. To me that is a high test performance. If UNC’s offense performs the same way, efficiently and productively, against the Gophers, we need our offense to play a bigger positive role. I don’t think UNC overlooked App State, a pretty decent team that put up 494 yards of offense in the game.

Our defense against UNC’s offense will be “strength on strength.” I think that for the Gophers to win, our offense has to perform better against UNC’s defense than it did against Nebraska’s and EMU’s. Just my opinion.

Against App Stat, UNC put up 527 yards of offense: rushed for 319 and passed for 208. UNC’s offense didn’t turn the ball over—no fumbles or interceptions. To me that is a high test performance. If UNC’s offense performs the same way, efficiently and productively, against the Gophers, we need our offense to play a bigger positive role. I don’t think UNC overlooked App State, a pretty decent team that put up 494 yards of offense in the game.

Our defense against UNC’s offense will be “strength on strength.” I think that for the Gophers to win, our offense has to perform better against UNC’s defense than it did against Nebraska’s and EMU’s. Just
I don't want to take anything away from Appalachian State, because they played a helluva game. But NC isn't running on us like that. Appy state has an undersized front, and they usually line up a fourth pass rusher, or Dog, who is an undersized LB. They lack depth and size up front, and they were dog tired. I think you'll see Joe Rossi make them one dimensional and take the run game away, especially since NC likes using it to set up the pass, mainly short quick routes, bubbles and PA.

I've watched NC quite a bit and they are weak in the edge picking up blitzes and State did a great job attacking off the edge and forcing Maye to step up, or not. I think back to how we demolished Auburn years ago in the bowl game, and I think that's the recipe we use next week. North Carolina is about to face a very physical team on both sides of the ball and I don't think they'll be up to the challenge personally. Looking forward to the game. Should be a great chess match.

We’ve given up a pretty high YPC in the running game so far. Getting Lindenberg back will help, but that’s a big concern for next week.

NC has a Mo-type RB. We need to stop him and limit Drake Maye’s deep throws. Rossi will have a plan; hope the D can execute against a polished, talented offense. Nice if Cody L were available and 100% for the game.

NC’s defense is good (much better than last year’s) but not great. Our offense needs to take a big step forward next week. Can’t waste trips to the red zone when playing an opponent like UNC. If Athan can sharpen up on deep throws, and if DT is for real, this could be one helluva game.

Their RB dominates lower level competition. He isn’t a Mo-type.

Here are his games against P5 teams (all 2022 unless noted)
16 carries, 37 yards (2023)
10 carries, 28 yards
8 carries, 37 yards
15 carries, 36 yards
3 carries, 16 yards
4 carries, 13 yards
5 carries, 35 yards
2 carries, 3 yards
1 carry, 1 yard
2 carries, 4 yards

Against Non-P5? Mo-type I guess?
26 carries, 234 yards (2023)
14 carries, 101 yards
8 carries, 17 yards
16 carries, 110 yards

Their RB dominates lower level competition. He isn’t a Mo-type.

Here are his games against P5 teams (all 2022 unless noted)
16 carries, 37 yards (2023)
10 carries, 28 yards
8 carries, 37 yards
15 carries, 36 yards
3 carries, 16 yards
4 carries, 13 yards
5 carries, 35 yards
2 carries, 3 yards
1 carry, 1 yard
2 carries, 4 yards

Against Non-P5? Mo-type I guess?
26 carries, 234 yards (2023)
14 carries, 101 yards
8 carries, 17 yards
16 carries, 110 yards
Maybe he Mo-like just against App State!

What exactly makes you think that defense is good?

Currently #82 in scoring defense and #108 in total defense.

Currently #82 in scoring defense and #108 in total defense.
Thinking of the South Carolina game. Held SC to negative yards rushing (-2?) and got 9 sacks against QB Spencer Rattler. Admittedly sucked the next week against App State. Defensive backfield might be a liability, but front seven played very well against South Carolina. Which defense shows up against the Gophers?

Last edited:

Thinking of the South Carolina game. Held SC to negative yards rushing (-2?) and got 9 sacks against QB Spencer Rattler. Admittedly sucked the next week against App State. Defensive backfield might be a liability, but front seven played very well against South Carolina. Which defense shows up against the Gophers?
South Carolina doesn't really run the ball. Ranked 105 last year and currently 127. Their defense is pretty bad...almost as bad as UNC's. App State has one of the worst ranked defenses through two games.

South Carolina doesn't really run the ball. Ranked 105 last year and currently 127. Their defense is pretty bad...almost as bad as UNC's. App State has one of the worst ranked defenses through two games.
I guess we will roll over UNC, then.

Last edited:

I guess we will roll over UNC.
I think we'll do to them what we did to Auburn a couple years back. Punch them right in the chops and watch them curl up in the fetal position. And that Auburn team was no joke, loaded up with talent and probably one of the most physical defensive lines in the country. NC is pretty soft in the trenches.

The key will be if they load the box can Athan make them pay. NCs secondary stinks. Time for Kali to show something.

Starting to like the way the Gopher defense will match up with NC more and more.

UNC seems to be an MSU-like team. A red-headed stepchild contender in their conference with a good offense, suspect defense, a few standout players, but doesn't quite compete with the big boys.

I don't know what to think about this game. I wouldn't be surprised if the Gophs came out throwing heavily again like they did early against MSU and Wisconsin last year.

Here is the way I see it.

Teams on field at same time:
Their offense vs our Defense: I see this as advantage Gophers! Their offense will struggle, especially if they can’t establish a running game. Forced one dimensional, Rossi will own them! So look for the Gophs to stop the run and force 3rd and long. Just hope the secondary plays tight clean coverage and we don’t get hit with flags.
Advantage Gophers.

Our Offense vs their Defense:
I don’t think they are good defensively at all. Problem is, I don’t know what to think of our offense. If we can run then we need to hit them with slants , slants and more slants. Just move the chains. Our line can block better for the run, so look for Darius (not Rucker) Taylor to have a big day. Mix in some passes to keep them honest. I think we can run when not facing that gimmicky 3-3-5. Playcallers need to improve.
Advantage Gophers, but not much.

Special teams: coin flip, although the Gophers have done pretty well this year so far.

Look for a close game, where we try to eat the clock in offense. Our defense will do well but can fall victim to big plays at any time.

Bet the under, gophers win 24-16!

Our defense is much better than theirs. Thing is, when do they ever get tested in the Big Ten against QB's that can throw the ball? If we can bring pressure with our D-line without blitzing, we beat them. They won't be able to stop us or anyone running or throwing the ball, they play in a no defense league and are one of the worst in it.

I guess we can hope Rossi ends up being our version of Iowa’s Phil Parker. I’m assuming Parker doesn’t have head coaching aspirations. If Rossi continues to have this success, it seems like it would be in Fleck’s interest to sacrifice more of his own salary if needed to keep Rossi here.

Top Bottom