The future of our front 7....

I can foresee Jacobs at DT but I don't know about Hageman, he's 6'6", that seems a bit tall for a DT to me.

I have always thought of Cory Wooten when I have thought about Hageman playing DE. Tall, athletic and rangy at 6'7" 280 pounds, and played TE in high school.

Disagree. He's strong as hell, but he doesn't have a great feel for the game. He can get penetration, but he doesn't know where the play is going and he's not effective. How many TFL did he have this year? Plus he is a step slow.

Hmmm, Interesting take, I know he was less visible this year compared to last, I think he's a plugger, plain and simple. He's got the size and leverage, maybe his main job is to command the double and plug the A gaps.

Great thread BTW,
A few thoughts.
-Cooper and Tinsley have shown up, they will be the future of the linebacker core, the 3rd man I think is the wild card and might be a situational position. Will Rallis get a shot?
-Reeves never really stood out on special teams for me, Singleton was impressive in the scrimmage, small though. Garin was really impressive in pregame drills, he's got a first step, can he develop into a D lineman or a LB? or will he be a situational guy like Wilhite was this year?
-Kirksey is gonna be an anchor, he was playing really well early, kinda fell off later, another year of experience should help him finish the season stronger.
-Hageman and KGM are really big framed athletes, I fully expect them to grow into monster defensive ends and possibly tackles eventually. The basketball highlights of Hageman running the court rebounding and scoring make me very optimistic he will be able to keep his athleticism while growing into his body. Instincts and technique are up to coach Cross, but the athletes are in place for a really fast and athletic front 7 the next few years and beyond.

Don't get me wrong, I think Edwards is a great player and definitely has the talent to be an NFL player. The play he made down by the goal-line against Illinois - basically blowing-up the play for a five yard loss - was one of the best plays anyone on our defense made all year. There's no question that, based on talent alone, Edwards should not only start next yeat, but dominate. All I'm saying is that the issue with Edwards isn't his talent, it's dedication, discipline and desire. If he puts it together and devotes himself, he can be one of the leaders of this defense next year. Let's hope he does.

Top Bottom