"the dramatic Gopher" for field goals and the third/fourth quarter music

Schnauzer

Pretty Sure You are Wrong
Reaction score
I have to admit, I get a chuckle every time I see the "dramatic Gopher" appear on the big board prior to every opponent field goal attempt on the west side of the stadium. It is a quirky little newer tradition that is along the lines of all the stuff I enjoy about college football. I bring a lot of new people to Gopher games and each time the dramatic Gopher appears, they notice and comment on it.

https://twitter.com/GopherFootball/status/1182324817569222656?s=20

I also like what they came up with years ago for the break between the third and fourth quarters. However, they seem obsessively eternally focused on mixing it up, toying with it, tweaking it, etc. and each time they do this it gets a little worse. They then go back to the original and everyone positively reacts, only to tweak it again to repeat the cycle. They tweaked it again for homecoming (no "I want you to do the Gopher" lead in and switched up much of the music in a bad way - in my opinion).

Off topic....this program has never once figured out how to get the team on the field for opening kickoff in an exciting manner. Builds with team video...video ends....quiet music...wait, wait....here's comes the team down the huddle...wait, wait...start swaying....run on out with fireworks.

At this point, I'd be for just blatantly ripping off another program to get it done. Even in one trip to Wisconsin with a freakin' U2 song playing, the badger entrance gave me a chill.

Have that garage door down and as soon as the energy in the stadium is at its peak, open that sucker up and run on out.

My friend got a good laugh at the dramatic gopher

Dramatic Gopher is the best thign ever.

The third / fourth quarter music / dance stuff is WAY better than the mess that was PJ's first year, they really picked some weird stuff a few times there. It's gotten better.

Purple Lamborghini is ... kinda growing on me.

Off topic....this program has never once figured out how to get the team on the field for opening kickoff in an exciting manner. Builds with team video...video ends....quiet music...wait, wait....here's comes the team down the huddle...wait, wait...start swaying....run on out with fireworks.

At this point, I'd be for just blatantly ripping off another program to get it done. Even in one trip to Wisconsin with a freakin' U2 song playing, the badger entrance gave me a chill.

Have that garage door down and as soon as the energy in the stadium is at its peak, open that sucker up and run on out.

VT does it the best...things get really going about the 3:10 mark.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9p7Z6fsr_K4" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

From the student section, the entrance has been pretty well received. The sway with the guitar riff while they walk to the tunnel is fun to do (I have no idea how it looks though). They definitely could tweak what they're doing with the heartbeat thing, it takes a little too long once they get to the field and things get awkwardly drawn out. Your point about the transition from video to music to walk out is very accurate as well.

Umm, that's not a dramatic Gopher.

It looks like a Guinea Pig.

From the student section, the entrance has been pretty well received. The sway with the guitar riff while they walk to the tunnel is fun to do (I have no idea how it looks though). They definitely could tweak what they're doing with the heartbeat thing, it takes a little too long once they get to the field and things get awkwardly drawn out. Your point about the transition from video to music to walk out is very accurate as well.

The riff is from song is killing strangers by Marilyn Manson, they can only go so long with the song, so would need to maybe just time things a little better?

I always thought "Beautiful People" would be an excellent entrance song.

I'm imagining it now and that would be awesome. Could even keep the riff in the walk out and start playing The Beautiful People once they get to the end. Get people jumping similar to Enter Sandman at VT.

I'm sure the regents would approve.

I'm sure the regents would approve.

I think as far as music at college sporting events the administration has a sort of "don't ask don't tell" policy.

They don't want to get into the business of filtering music so they don't ask many questions, they don't want to be asked, and don't want to be told ... and everyone moves on happily, hoping no assholes read some lyrics, get outraged, and make a big deal about it.

Of course "Down with the Sickness" also has an excellent drum and guitar opening riff to enter the stadium as well.

I like that the students do the "sway" thing when the music starts. I wish the band would do it and maybe it would grow to around the stadium. The delay does make it anti-climactic. I believe Eric Decker said the do the Gopher thing at Homecoming.

I think as far as music at college sporting events the administration has a sort of "don't ask don't tell" policy.

They don't want to get into the business of filtering music so they don't ask many questions, they don't want to be asked, and don't want to be told ... and everyone moves on happily, hoping no assholes read some lyrics, get outraged, and make a big deal about it.

Yeah if they did a song like this I guarantee it would only be the instrumental.

I like that the students do the "sway" thing when the music starts. I wish the band would do it and maybe it would grow to around the stadium. The delay does make it anti-climactic. I believe Eric Decker said the do the Gopher thing at Homecoming.

The band is on the field in formation during that moment, and have to be ready to start playing the rouser when the team runs out, so I don't think they would be able to join in on the swaying.

This would work too...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/04F4xlWSFh0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

VT does it the best...things get really going about the 3:10 mark.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9p7Z6fsr_K4" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Makes the Badger student section look like a minuscule smattering of drunken fools.

Wait? What?

I have to admit, I get a chuckle every time I see the "dramatic Gopher" appear on the big board prior to every opponent field goal attempt on the west side of the stadium. It is a quirky little newer tradition that is along the lines of all the stuff I enjoy about college football. I bring a lot of new people to Gopher games and each time the dramatic Gopher appears, they notice and comment on it.

https://twitter.com/GopherFootball/status/1182324817569222656?s=20

I also like what they came up with years ago for the break between the third and fourth quarters. However, they seem obsessively eternally focused on mixing it up, toying with it, tweaking it, etc. and each time they do this it gets a little worse. They then go back to the original and everyone positively reacts, only to tweak it again to repeat the cycle. They tweaked it again for homecoming (no "I want you to do the Gopher" lead in and switched up much of the music in a bad way - in my opinion).

The dramatic gopher is great but they never get the timing right.

I call him stink eye Goldy but he does not always jinx their kicker so dramatic is probably more accurate. He does also need work on his timing.

I have always wanted "Know your Enemy" by Rage incorporated somewhere in the game day experience

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Remember last year and dramatic Gopher was phenomenal...then next game I was at I didn't see it once! I don't know if I saw it season opener? Gotta keep that up!

Iowa State plays a song called Juicy Wiggle and the whole stadium dances to it. For night games they all use their phone flashlights while dancing. Very fun.

Top Bottom