The Daily Gopher Article

The APR improvement is impressive.

Hopefully wins will come this year.

All excellent points made in the article! Very well done!

This piece really spins quite a tale. "Culture" is the new buzz-word. "Culture" helps. But our APR when compared to some other B1G Programs does not form a correlation that Margaret Mead would have been too impressed with.

There would be so much to dig into with the innuendo this piece introduces the football fan to...and so very little chance to really dig into it. I really do dig "culture" though. The die-hard fans will eventually expect a lot of wins though.

Compare our APR to the B1G Conference. Rank the numbers. I don't think we are quite ready to replace the conference football standings with the conference APR standings yet.

But, good luck to us! "Culture" now...that's quite a story!
; 0 )

This piece really spins quite a tale. "Culture" is the new buzz-word. "Culture" helps. But our APR when compared to some other B1G Programs does not form a correlation that Margaret Mead would have been too impressed with.

There would be so much to dig into with the innuendo this piece introduces the football fan to...and so very little chance to really dig into it. I really do dig "culture" though. The die-hard fans will eventually expect a lot of wins though.

Compare our APR to the B1G Conference. Rank the numbers. I don't think we are quite ready to replace the conference football standings with the conference APR standings yet.

; 0 )

Wren - Your idea of changing a culture is to say it all about Big Ten wins over and over again. If that doesn't work, then you "demand" it. Yup, that is how you do it! But since you think Glen was a great coach I wouldn't expect that you would any idea what it really takes to turn a program around.:rolleyes:

Wren - Your idea of changing a culture is to say it all about Big Ten wins over and over again. If that doesn't work, then you "demand" it. Yup, that is how you do it! But since you think Glen was a great coach I wouldn't expect that you would any idea what it really takes to turn a program around.:rolleyes:

Please tell me what it really takes to turn a program around. You obviously have a lot of experience doing this and would love to hear the details on how it is done. You also claim to know so much about Kill and his plan but doubt you have ever talked to him more than 30 seconds. The only thing you know about him and his plan is what he wants out in the public.

Please tell me what it really takes to turn a program around. You obviously have a lot of experience doing this and would love to hear the details on how it is done. You also claim to know so much about Kill and his plan but doubt you have ever talked to him more than 30 seconds. The only thing you know about him and his plan is what he wants out in the public.

This is not rocket science stuff. You seem to believe that there is some secret plan out there Kill is hiding from us. If you want to know how he is doing it just look at how he did it at Southern Illinois and Northern Illinois. Then just listen to what he says and what he does. It you still don't get it read some books on change management and leadership. Most people here have done that and understand how Kill is building this program. Let me know when when the bell goes off. By the way, everything Kill does is for a purpose and it isn't that difficult to figure out.

This is not rocket science stuff. You seem to believe that there is some secret plan out there Kill is hiding from us. If you want to know how he is doing it just look at how he did it at Southern Illinois and Northern Illinois. Then just listen to what he says and what he does. It you still don't get it read some books on change management and leadership. Most people here have done that and understand how Kill is building this program. Let me know when when the bell goes off. By the way, everything Kill does is for a purpose and it isn't that difficult to figure out.

I don't believe Kill has any secret plan. I just believe he like all coaches uses coach speak to his advantage. I don't fault him for this, just recognize it for what it is. You seem to think that he has some profound leadership and plan different from virtually every other coach out there. Based on that, I would like you to give me details on how his plan and leadership is different from virtually every other coach in the country, since he appears to walk on water in your eyes.

You are very observant GopherGod.

The thing is until the program can compete in the Conference Standings with other teams in the conference how on earth can anyone claim that the program has been turned around. Yes, there are some good things that appear to be happening that may make a difference on the football playing field. Will they equate to conference wins? Until the record says the Gophers are more competitive within the conference, it is pure spin and wishful thinking that things ARE actually improved.

The time-tested and honored way to bring stability to a college football program is to survive as the coach for longer than three...four...five years as the head coach. Does that insure that our Gophers will win a championship? Nope. But, it will mean that the program has been living up to NCAA Standards. It will also provide stability. The key for Coach Kill, as he enters his third season will be to win enough Conference games along with the easier ooc games to have his program invited to bowl games. During that time he will need to insure that all NCAA mandates, rules and regulations are honored. IF he doesn't win enough Conference Games, and win invitations to bowl games, he will be very fortunate to make it past his fourth or fifth season. If he doesn't last MORE than five seasons...he will have failed, and all those management practice techniques will have let him down.

SURVIVAL is the key. To survive, a B1G Coach needs B1G wins... It is a WIN or you LOSE kind of situation. And the clock keeps on ticking... I wish Coach Kill the very best and am really pulling for him to win enough to survive here in Golden Gopher Land...

; 0 )

I don't believe Kill has any secret plan. I just believe he like all coaches uses coach speak to his advantage. I don't fault him for this, just recognize it for what it is. You seem to think that he has some profound leadership and plan different from virtually every other coach out there. Based on that, I would like you to give me details on how his plan and leadership is different from virtually every other coach in the country, since he appears to walk on water in your eyes.

His leadership is different in the fact that he is extremely consistent. The fact that his staff has been with him for so many years is different than virtually every other coach in the country. The way he travels the state and opens practices and tells every Minnesotan that this is your team and that it takes everyone and that he needs everyone's help, is different. The fact that he walks campus on Friday's and hands out tickets is different. Him and his wife buying lunch for 4000 students is different. The way he get's his players to believe and to never give up until the last second is unique. The fact that he makes his players go to class and emphasizes the importance of doing well in school is different than a lot of coaches and it's different because he actually believes it and isn't just giving lip service. Bottom line is he is consistent and holds people accountable. What's really different than many coaches is that he has the courage to stick to and execute his plan and the knowledge, intelligence, and experience to have created a proven, successful plan. He get's the people around him, and involved, to believe. Not virtually every coach in the country has been able to win like he has throughout his career.

GopherGod

His leadership is different in the fact that he is extremely consistent. The fact that his staff has been with him for so many years is different than virtually every other coach in the country. The way he travels the state and opens practices and tells every Minnesotan that this is your team and that it takes everyone and that he needs everyone's help, is different. The fact that he walks campus on Friday's and hands out tickets is different. Him and his wife buying lunch for 4000 students is different. The way he get's his players to believe and to never give up until the last second is unique. The fact that he makes his players go to class and emphasizes the importance of doing well in school is different than a lot of coaches and it's different because he actually believes it and isn't just giving lip service. Bottom line is he is consistent and holds people accountable. What's really different than many coaches is that he has the courage to stick to and execute his plan and the knowledge, intelligence, and experience to have created a proven, successful plan. He get's the people around him, and involved, to believe. Not virtually every coach in the country has been able to win like he has throughout his career.

Some Day...Is Coming! gets it! Then on the other hand we have wren whose understanding of what it takes to turn around a program consists of the following dribble
SURVIVAL is the key. To survive, a B1G Coach needs B1G wins... It is a WIN or you LOSE kind of situation. And the clock keeps on ticking... I wish Coach Kill the very best and am really pulling for him to win enough to survive here in Golden Gopher Land..

Myself, I quite confident that Some Day...Is Coming! assessment is a great deal more thoughtful and has a great deal more understanding and depth than wren's.

How long have you been following Gopher Football? These things don't sound so different from things that have been done, said and talked about before. Why is there still such a student section problem? I think it's great that he's got you so fired up. Coach Wacker was a wonderful human being. He had his priorities right. He paid for busses to take students to the dome.

It sounds to me as though you haven't been listening to past coaches. Sure, NCAA rules and regulations used to be different. However, I have seen a number of coaches who always said the right things that were fitting for the standards of their times.

We need to see him win here. A lot of coaches are great salesmen. A lot of coaches sound as though they are the only honest coaches left alive. A lot of coaches have the ability to make you believe.

I hope you are right. I hope Coach Kill is all that you say he is and more. Now he just has to start doing the thing that has been so difficult for so many coaches here at the U of M...win Conference Football Games and be competitive within the Conference. Good luck Coach Kill. Be WONDERFUL and win some Conference Games!

; 0 )

; 0 )

You are very observant GopherGod.

The thing is until the program can compete in the Conference Standings with other teams in the conference how on earth can anyone claim that the program has been turned around. Yes, there are some good things that appear to be happening that may make a difference on the football playing field. Will they equate to conference wins? Until the record says the Gophers are more competitive within the conference, it is pure spin and wishful thinking that things ARE actually improved.

The time-tested and honored way to bring stability to a college football program is to survive as the coach for longer than three...four...five years as the head coach. Does that insure that our Gophers will win a championship? Nope. But, it will mean that the program has been living up to NCAA Standards. It will also provide stability. The key for Coach Kill, as he enters his third season will be to win enough Conference games along with the easier ooc games to have his program invited to bowl games. During that time he will need to insure that all NCAA mandates, rules and regulations are honored. IF he doesn't win enough Conference Games, and win invitations to bowl games, he will be very fortunate to make it past his fourth or fifth season. If he doesn't last MORE than five seasons...he will have failed, and all those management practice techniques will have let him down.

SURVIVAL is the key. To survive, a B1G Coach needs B1G wins... It is a WIN or you LOSE kind of situation. And the clock keeps on ticking... I wish Coach Kill the very best and am really pulling for him to win enough to survive here in Golden Gopher Land...

How long have you been following Gopher Football? These things don't sound so different from things that have been done, said and talked about before. Why is there still such a student section problem? I think it's great that he's got you so fired up. Coach Wacker was a wonderful human being. He had his priorities right. He paid for busses to take students to the dome.

It sounds to me as though you haven't been listening to past coaches. Sure, NCAA rules and regulations used to be different. However, I have seen a number of coaches who always said the right things that were fitting for the standards of their times.

We need to see him win here. A lot of coaches are great salesmen. A lot of coaches sound as though they are the only honest coaches left alive. A lot of coaches have the ability to make you believe.

I hope you are right. I hope Coach Kill is all that you say he is and more. Now he just has to start doing the thing that has been so difficult for so many coaches here at the U of M...win Conference Football Games and be competitive within the Conference. Good luck Coach Kill. Be WONDERFUL and win some Conference Games!

; 0 )

Ok here goes; walrus' summation:

-Culture doesn't equal APR which doesn't equal B1G wins
-A B1G football coach must win football games
-He wishes Coach Kill good luck.

Words walrus emphasized (these are the words his Cap Lock got stuck on): WONDERFUL, ARE, WIN, LOSE, MORE, SURVIVAL

Ok here goes; walrus' summation:

-Culture doesn't equal APR which doesn't equal B1G wins
-A B1G football coach must win football games
-He wishes Coach Kill good luck.

Words walrus emphasized (these are the words his Cap Lock got stuck on): WONDERFUL, ARE, WIN, LOSE, MORE, SURVIVAL

Both you and DL65 do a wonderful job in transcribing what is being said by wren and Sid. I think you have the more difficult job though. For some reason wren doesn't understand or won't accept that it is possible to evaluate how Kill is doing by his past and present actions in building this program other than by Big Ten wins. Thanks again!

Killjoy = Rebecca Kill

Most of us really like Kill, including me, but we can still take the blinders off every once in a while. He ultimately has to win B1G games, just like every coach.

Killjoy = Rebecca Kill

Most of us really like Kill, including me, but we can still take the blinders off every once in a while. He ultimately has to win B1G games, just like every coach.

Never said he didn't. My whole point is that turn this program around you have to change the culture and do a lot of focused hard work before you get the wins. I know you are tired of hearing this but that is how it works. Just look at what happened to Mason because he wasn't willing to pay the price.

By the way, I have never said that it is a given that coach Kill will exceed here but I certainly have said that he is doing the rights things for that to happen. Most people understand this and are willing to give him time needed to make it happen. Patience my friend. patience.

Never said he didn't. My whole point is that turn this program around you have to change the culture and do a lot of focused hard work before you get the wins. I know you are tired of hearing this but that is how it works. Just look at what happened to Mason because he wasn't willing to pay the price.

By the way, I have never said that it is a given that coach Kill will exceed here but I certainly have said that he is doing the rights things for that to happen. Most people understand this and are willing to give him time needed to make it happen. Patience my friend. patience.

I am curious how you know how hard A coach did or did not work. Do you know the hours he put in or didn't, or are you speculating again and presenting it as fact?

I am curious how you know how hard A coach did or did not work. Do you know the hours he put in or didn't, or are you speculating again and presenting it as fact?

LOL - For whatever reason, you really seem to be having a hard time accepting that coach Kill works really hard. This is well documented and you should have realized by now that Kill is a extremely focused and driven person. The man eats, drinks, and sleep football seven days a week. This is not something that I am speculating about. You can read or hear about what Kill is doing almost on a daily basis. If you don't believe this or don't understand this I am sure Maybe Some Day...Is Coming! can explain it to you. He certainly did a really good job of articulating to you why coach Kill is different from other coaches. If you are raising this question because you don't like me or what I say that is fine, but at least pay attention to what is going on.

LOL - For whatever reason, you really seem to be having a hard time accepting that coach Kill works really hard. I am not sure why this is, but if you had been paying attention at all you should have realized by now that Kill is a extremely focused and driven person. The man eats, drinks, and sleep football seven days a week. Maybe Some Day...Is Coming! can explain it to you. If you don't like me or what I say that is fine but at least pay attention to what is going on.

G.G. has a point. While Kill is saying all the right things they have yet to lead to much more than, honestly, guy's have been fired for before. Don't get me wrong, the fact that he seems to have a plan and a staff that's had success doing it this way before, gives me personally hope that things will get turned around. Enough so that 7-9 wins a years is something that we can get back to. Anything more will be a big time success IMHO.

The only thing nagging at me is that at SIU and NIU he played in Conferences where he never had to face 4-5 teams that had a whole lot more talent than his teams did. That isn't the case in the Big Ten. Hope that changes too.

So G.G. may be right. Of course wasn't he the guy that said getting rid of Callahan at his beloved Nebraska would bring them back to National glory. Oh and bringing Pellini back would apparently bring shutout after shutout?

No? Maybe it was all an "implication". :D

Top Bottom