Season 4 of The Comparable 4 will return Dec. 1, 2024 (about a month into next season)

What I meant was that, between graduations and transfers, Ben Johnson only retained one player from Pitino’s 2020-2021 team (that being Ihnen, I did forget about Eric Curry).

Pretty sure almost all of the players who left for the portal did so either before or within 2 weeks of Ben Johnson’s hire (Brandon Johnson being the exception). Maybe Ben had a shot at keeping any of those guys but based on how long they stayed, probably not a good one.

Yes, Ben was recruiting guys as he was losing them. OP was poor word choice.

Ben may well have not wanted to retain them all any how, especially the likes of Freeman, Photo, etc..

That’s a false argument to make; never worked at any company where management changed and there weren’t subsequent changes in personnel.

A new broom 🧹 sweeps clean

Last edited:

Ben may well have not wanted to retain them all any how, especially the likes of Freeman, Photo, etc..

That’s a false argument to make; never worked at any company where management changed and there weren’t subsequent changes in personnel.

A new broom 🧹 sweeps clean
There are changes made no doubt. however the changes I have seen is in management, upper management. Our company has acquired 4 companies in the past 6 years. Every time we are left alone where VP's, Director of sales or marketing are all sent packing.

There are changes made no doubt. however the changes I have seen is in management, upper management. Our company has acquired 4 companies in the past 6 years. Every time we are left alone where VP's, Director of sales or marketing are all sent packing.

It depends on where the lack of performance lies and who you are specifically managing; the analogy was that Ben wasn’t going to retain the full roster, even if they all wanted to return, because some wouldn’t merit retention - Freeman and Phuto (sp), we’re the two that I recalled. So, it’s about being precise with a critique.

Wondering...is 2-22 the year before walking into a dumpster fire?

And we're thinking how amazing it would be if Ben can get us above .500 in conference and maybe make the tournament in Year 4. Expect little, get little in return.
I'm sure if Gopher fans just expected more we'd be the best team in the land! I've never understood this logic.

Iowa State already has a transfer commit a week into the portal. Here are the classes of the three that are still comparable.

ISU: (Average of 8 changes per year)
2021: 1 HS and 7 Portal
2022: 3 HS and 5 Portal
2023: 5 HS and 3 Portal

MN: (Average of 7 changes per year)
2021: 2 HS and 7 Portal
2022: 5 HS and 3 Portal
2023: 2 HS and 3 Portal

Utah: (Average of 5 changes per year)
2021: 2 HS and 3 Portal
2022: 2 HS and 3 Portal
2023: 3 HS and 3 Portal

Each have 2 HS kids signed for 2024

Fast rising Danny Sprinkle (Montana State —> Utah State) says “hold my beer guys”

Guy has a great Nascar name.

Iowa State already has a transfer commit a week into the portal. Here are the classes of the three that are still comparable.

ISU: (Average of 8 changes per year)
2021: 1 HS and 7 Portal
2022: 3 HS and 5 Portal
2023: 5 HS and 3 Portal

MN: (Average of 7 changes per year)
2021: 2 HS and 7 Portal
2022: 5 HS and 3 Portal
2023: 2 HS and 3 Portal

Utah: (Average of 5 changes per year)
2021: 2 HS and 3 Portal
2022: 2 HS and 3 Portal
2023: 3 HS and 3 Portal

Each have 2 HS kids signed for 2024
And two decent 2025 High School players.

Until Opening Night (Nov. 4) of Season 4 of the Comparable 4, happy trails to you until we meet again.

Updated through November 3, 2024
1 TJ Otzelberger (Iowa State) -- 70-35 overall (66.7%), 46-35 vs. Power 6 (56.8%), NCAA Tournament Appearances/Record (3/4-3), no NIT appearances

2 Craig Smith (Utah) -- 50-50 overall (50%), 29-46 vs. Power 6 (38.7%), no NCAA appearances, 1 NIT appearance (3-1)

3 Micah Shrewsberry (2 seasons @ Penn State/1 @ Notre Dame) -- 50-51 overall (49.5%), 34-48 vs. Power 6 (41.5%), NCAA Tournament Appearances/Record (1/1-1), no NIT appearances

4 Ben Johnson (Minnesota) -- 41-54 overall (43.2%), 19-51 vs. Power 6 (27.1%), no NCAA appearances, 1 NIT appearance (1-1)

Next Update: Dec. 1, 2024

I don’t really follow Gophs BBall as closely as football but always tune in when I can.

Why is there any discussion of whether Ben Johnson is a competent coach if these are real numbers - 19-51 vs. Power 6 (27.1%), no NCAA appearances?

This is clown show stuff. What are the other P6 programs/coaches with similar numbers? Or is it just us?

Seems like this dude was exactly the wrong cat to lead us into the NIL era - basically forcing the already limited fanbase to become apathetic.

What is the reason I should think this will work?

I don’t really follow Gophs BBall as closely as football but always tune in when I can.

Why is there any discussion of whether Ben Johnson is a competent coach if these are real numbers - 19-51 vs. Power 6 (27.1%), no NCAA appearances?

This is clown show stuff. What are the other P6 programs/coaches with similar numbers? Or is it just us?

Seems like this dude was exactly the wrong cat to lead us into the NIL era - basically forcing the already limited fanbase to become apathetic.

We were told that ‘everyone needs to understand.’

No.....there's never been any discussion about if Ben Johnson is a competent coach.....we should probably discuss that....SMH LOL

No.....there's never been any discussion about if Ben Johnson is a competent coach.....we should probably discuss that....SMH LOL

Ok then we’re all agreed it’s settled and the dude needs to go? I mean it’s cute to be dismissive as if we’re all hive-minding all these threads but I was under the impression this guy had sincere advocates.

As said before, I don’t know the X’s and O’s for basketball well enough to be an insider, but just judging by the program’s pathetic numbers under his tenure, it seems a change can’t happen soon enough… SMH LOL.

Top Bottom