The coaches were planning on installing the pistol next year

Reaction score
per recent reports. A couple months ago I was joking about which offense we would run next and it turns out I was too prescient for my own good.

It's a shame we will never be able to see how our grand plan on conquering the Mountain West Conference would have worked out.

Sorry Jeff, God bless you but don't let the door hit you on the way out. Good luck elsewhere.

The pistol would be the ideal set for MQ Gray and can be used equally effectively in run heavy (Nevada), pass heavy (Indiana), or balanced schemes (Bama).

The pistol is really an extension of the power running set. It wouldn't have been a massive overhaul in philosophy like it would have been moving from spread to power running.

The Pistol is basically a hybrid of the spread and I formation offense. I principals in the run game, but also a ton of read option. Can pass out of it like spread.
In my mind it is the ideal offense.

There is a reason that UCLA, Nevada, Indiana, Ohio STate, Alabama, Oklahoma, (and the list goes on) all use some pistol sets now. Though there are only 2-3 FBS teams that run it exclusively, there are dozens that use it as part of their offense.

We will install it over the bye week and show it to Iowa. They will be totally unprepared and we will upset top 15 IA in front of 34 Gopher fans as the Brewster Era swansong.

Running with the QB worked well in 2007, but we got away from that in 08 and 09, and the offense suffered. Making the QB run a serious threat opens up a lot in the offense, I hope whoever is QB is at least a threat to run, it keeps the defense honest. I'd like to see some option thrown into the mix.

Running with the QB worked well in 2007, but we got away from that in 08 and 09, and the offense suffered. Making the QB run a serious threat opens up a lot in the offense, I hope whoever is QB is at least a threat to run, it keeps the defense honest. I'd like to see some option thrown into the mix.

It isn't the QB running that keeps the defense honest. It is the ability to run (RB & QB) and pass that keeps the defense honest. We just need an offense that can do enough of both.

Pistol offense to go with Cosgrove's Russian Roulette defense.

Seriously how many offenses was Brew gonna go through.

It isn't the QB running that keeps the defense honest. It is the ability to run (RB & QB) and pass that keeps the defense honest. We just need an offense that can do enough of both.

The ability to run with the QB is great, but if you won't utilize it, defenses don't have to respect it.

Pistol offense to go with Cosgrove's Russian Roulette defense.

Seriously how many offenses was Brew gonna go through.

It shocks me no one else has mentioned that we would have *YET AGAIN* been switching Offenses...

It shocks me no one else has mentioned that we would have *YET AGAIN* been switching Offenses...

The pistol wouldn't be a total overhaul. I would view it as a tweak, not a complete change.

if the pistol offense is so easy to install as some of you say, why did horton say that it wouldn't be fair to the guys on the offensive line to change schemes in the middle of the season to accomodate for grays skillset. Wouldn't it be more effective to add the pistol and put gray in only on the pistol as quarterback? Not saying anyone is wrong just curious about the philosophy.

if the pistol offense is so easy to install as some of you say, why did horton say that it wouldn't be fair to the guys on the offensive line to change schemes in the middle of the season to accomodate for grays skillset. Wouldn't it be more effective to add the pistol and put gray in only on the pistol as quarterback? Not saying anyone is wrong just curious about the philosophy.
It is a proven fact that nothing Brewster of his staff did over the past 4 years in terms of schemes made sense at all. So I wouldn't put a ton of stalk into what they say.
It would be tough to put it all in at once in a week. But you could put in pistol set with a couple of new plays (and you could run some old plays out of the pistol) in about 40 minutes. Teams add plays every week thoughout the season (at least most teams).

Even if it isn't a major overhaul, the middle of the season is not the time to make the change. No one is saying it's just a small change. But it's certainly not going from a power running offense to the spread.

Even if it isn't a major overhaul, the middle of the season is not the time to make the change. No one is saying it's just a small change. But it's certainly not going from a power running offense to the spread.

Actually many people do consider the pistol a form of the spread. The pistol combines I formation elements and spread elements.

Actually many people do consider the pistol a form of the spread. The pistol combines I formation elements and spread elements.

Right, it's like a mix of the two. So it wouldn't be a complete overhaul. There would still be some things similar to what we do now.

I know next to nothing about the 'pistol offense', so I appreciate the comments on such.

From what I gather, is sounds like it could be a good transition from this year's O to next year's with Gray.

The Pistol is basically a hybrid of the spread and I formation offense. I principals in the run game, but also a ton of read option. Can pass out of it like spread.
In my mind it is the ideal offense.

There is a reason that UCLA, Nevada, Indiana, Ohio STate, Alabama, Oklahoma, (and the list goes on) all use some pistol sets now. Though there are only 2-3 FBS teams that run it exclusively, there are dozens that use it as part of their offense.

Yes, the guy at Nevada, Chris Ault, developed it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pistol_offense so they use it.

It is a proven fact that nothing Brewster of his staff did over the past 4 years in terms of schemes made sense at all. So I wouldn't put a ton of stalk into what they say.
It would be tough to put it all in at once in a week. But you could put in pistol set with a couple of new plays (and you could run some old plays out of the pistol) in about 40 minutes. Teams add plays every week thoughout the season (at least most teams).

A competent coach could do it, but what about Tim Brewster? :eek:

A lot of high schools have gone to the pistol offense. Eagan High School uses it exclusively.

Top Bottom