The Casual Fans are Returning

MNSnowman

An old timer
Reaction score
Having a 12-0 record is pretty nice in terms of attracting the casual fan and keeping the buzz going.

It's purely anecdotal, but I offer the following as proof:

• During the various rounds of family gatherings and social events over the past ten or so days, I noted a marked increase in interest and conversation about "those Gophers."

Two years ago, some of our friends and Mrs Snowman's relatives were plainly worried about my allegiance to the Gophers. Even at last year's Christmas gatherings many were doubtful that having Tubby meant true improvement.

This year? I even got a couple of requests for any tickets I wasn't going to use. Good luck with that, folks! :rolleyes:
  • Tonight I bumped into three folks I know -- a former client, a member of our church and a third acquaintance. All three were attending a Gopher game for the first time in several years. All bought tickets from the scalpers (for a game with HIGH POINT!!) One fellow even told me he paid more than face value (again, for a game with HIGH POINT!!)
Yep, they're fair-weather, bandwagon fans. But the buzz is coming back and those casual fans are getting interested again. That's good news for all of us, IMO.

Agree Snowman

After missing the SE Louisiana game because of the holidays, returned last night for the High Point game. I was pleasantly surprised with the crowd. Was not expecting much of a turnout because of the opponent and the timing, but it was a nice crowd. The buzz is definitely returning, and it shows when you get that kind of a crowd for an opponent like High Point.

I suspect I might be eating crow (gladly so) on Wednesday, as I've expressed skepticism that The Barn will be at (or very near) capacity for the Sparty game because of the time change. We'll see what happens, but after last night I get the feeling TJ and Gopher Lady will be correct. People will find a way to make the Big 10 opener. If last night is any indication, it could be a packed house Wednesday (despite the odd game time) because of the 12-0 start and the quality of the opponent.

I think the Gopher fans that are coming out of hibernation are and were truly Gopher fans, just that the way things were, priorities were in a different order, now the Gophers are higher on the priority list for many of them. Think of them as the Prodigal Sons, returning and we welcome them all back. Let's make the BARN ROCK fans. GO TUBBY'S TEAM!!!!!

Even Randy Shaver was talking them up on 93X this morning. When the local sports guys start talking positive about the Gophs you know something good is going on.

Casual fans are nice, but the one's in tuxedos and suits really make the team look classy. Just kidding with you, Snowman. Congratulations on a perfect pre-conference record. Wednesday's game will be a great barometer for your program as well as Michigan States. Best of luck and beat Sparty.

Top Bottom