The bye week cannot come at a better time...

Texan Gopher

Reaction score
I hated today as much as everyone. That said, somehow I knew it was going to happen. As i have been a fan for 44 years, we've seen this 44 times.

The game against Illinois will now determine the season. With them beating the Badgers and everybody having one loss, this game determines if we are playing The rest of the season for the big 10 West or another bowl game to be played sometime in mid December.

The true leadership of the veteran players will be shown two weeks from now. The entire team except for the secondary played terrible today. Hopefully film study in two weeks to prepare, give us a different looking team and what we saw today.

My belief that we will ever in my lifetime play in a B10 championship game keeps getting less and less. We are probably at 01% right now in my head. But, that small dream can stay alive with a win against the illini.

Said in another thread that the story of this season will be written in how we respond to what happened today. Fans want to make it all about one game but that isn't what a season is based on. Lots can and will happen over the next two months and even with the loss today the Gophers are very much still in the mix in the West. Doesn't look like we will run away with the division but we are not out of it either.

I hated today as much as everyone. That said, somehow I knew it was going to happen. As i have been a fan for 44 years, we've seen this 44 times.

The game against Illinois will now determine the season. With them beating the Badgers and everybody having one loss, this game determines if we are playing The rest of the season for the big 10 West or another bowl game to be played sometime in mid December.

The true leadership of the veteran players will be shown two weeks from now. The entire team except for the secondary played terrible today. Hopefully film study in two weeks to prepare, give us a different looking team and what we saw today.

My belief that we will ever in my lifetime play in a B10 championship game keeps getting less and less. We are probably at 01% right now in my head. But, that small dream can stay alive with a win against the illini.
Well said.

Even in a wide open West, starting 0-2 in the division and still with a tough cross-divisional game @ Penn State on the docket makes it really difficult to get to Indianapolis. And those two losses would be to the two teams most likely to be the Gophers’ primary competition for the West’s Big Ten CG representative.

Gophers need to regroup & find a way in Champaign-Urbana. Would keep them squarely in the mix for West tiebreakers, too.

After a game like yesterday I hate having a bye week and having a bad taste in my mouth for two weeks, granted that’s a fan perspective. I’d rather regroup quickly and get our swagger back. But, given the importance of this next game, maybe the two weeks really refocuses the program, heals up Mo and we come out dialed in at Illinois. That’s a huge game.

Go Gophers!!

After a game like yesterday I hate having a bye week and having a bad taste in my mouth for two weeks, granted that’s a fan perspective. I’d rather regroup quickly and get our swagger back. But, given the importance of this next game, maybe the two weeks really refocuses the program, heals up Mo and we come out dialed in at Illinois. That’s a huge game.

Go Gophers!!
I get where you are coming from but in this case bye week timing is perfect as now Mo will have 2 solid weeks to get healthy since we clearly need him out there.

Before yesterday I was curious what would happen if they played a decent B10 team. After all their record to that point had been to beat up schools with a combined record of 3 - 17.

New Mexico (1 - 4)
Western Ill (0-5)
Colorado (0 - 5)
Mich St (2-3)

So losing to Purdue didn't come as a total surprise. Next is Illinois followed by Penn State who will certainly test the Gophers further. Hope they are up to the challenge otherwise they could be 1 - 3 in the western division.

Bye week a good time for a self scout. Do we have anyone on the Dline that can win one on one and bring pressure. Do we have any burners on offense we can use on quick outs or end sweeps that can open up the field a little. Illinois is really good at ball control, what can we do to counter act this. Illinois is going to be a huge game for the Gophers.

Bye week could have been this week.

Top Bottom