The BTN Announcers Said It Best

Reserve

Reaction score
Whoever it was announcing with Larrivee last night put it best - Tubby's got some talented kids coming in next and I believe they will be starting.

What's his name also on the BTN postgame, the one who played for Northwestern who gets on my nerves because he seems to take a lot of pleasure in Gopher losses, also said the Gopher offense is anemic. Maybe he just speaks the truth.

And even Tubby in his postgame comments points out late in the game we have guys that are trying to go one on one and we just don't have the players to do it - re:they're not very good.

Help is on the way.

Whoever it was announcing with Larrivee last night put it best - Tubby's got some talented kids coming in next and I believe they will be starting.

What's his name also on the BTN postgame, the one who played for Northwestern who gets on my nerves because he seems to take a lot of pleasure in Gopher losses, also said the Gopher offense is anemic. Maybe he just speaks the truth.

And even Tubby in his postgame comments points out late in the game we have guys that are trying to go one on one and we just don't have the players to do it - re:they're not very good.

Help is on the way.

Who is going to step in, start, and score 16-18 a game?

Help is on the way.

i think you wanting Tim Doyle.

Who is going to step in, start, and score 16-18 a game?

Al and Lawrence combined for 4 points and 8 turnovers last night. I'm hopeful and confident that any combination of White, Mbakwe, Cobb, Williams, will be able to put a few more points on the board.

I dont know about Williams, or Mbakwe as individual offensive threats. I've heard Cobbs has potential as a scoring threat, but Im not sure he'll jump right in and get solid minutes. But I do think Royce White has the ability to be a go-to scorer, and more importantly I think hes confident in taking shots down the stretch of a game like last night.

Tim Doyle.

Lol. Doyle. He does seem to enjoy it when we lose. He about creamed in his shorts when he and Spence were doing the Northwestern game and NW won going away.

The guys had a tough game. I was really expecting them to win but I'm not overly disappointed we didn't. What I fear is that now we're in a must win situation. That's not a very good spot to be in with this team.

Roll Players

We've known this all year, the whole team is a bunch of role players. Too be successful we need someone to play off of. Royce White will be the go-to guy next year. If Bryant Allen wasn't playing football, he'd probably be pushing for a starting spot also. I also think that DJ and Westbrook will come off the bench next year. It will be interesting next season what happens with the PG & PF positions.

Here is Tubby's lament by the way -

"We run a play and the play breaks down and we try to go 1-on-1," Smith said of the Gophers. "That’s our problem. Because we don’t have 1-on-1 players."

Weber also said about his team -

Weber evaluated his team the same way.

"We don’t have the slasher that can get to the basket and beat people," the Illini coach said.

Yeah, and look at Illinois' offense sometimes....absolutely brutal. When the Gophers are hitting jumpshots, their offense is MUCH better. Early in the year and early in the Big Ten, we were just plain hitting shots. That's not happening anymore. Yesterday was a prime example. Guys who we all thought would shoot better, are just not. And that is a major impact when you don't have guys who can break down and get to the hole, or a guy to drop it down into the paint and get a low post score consistently.

And this is also magnified when you are turning it over 20 times. We are just not getting the guard play we need consistently enough to overcome these inefficiencies. As the talent on this team matures, you will see vast improvement in offensive efficiency, I can guarantee it.

I don't follow the recruiting scene closely, but will say this. From everything I've heard about Trevor Mbakwe, would think he'll be in the starting lineup from Day 1. In addition to finding scorers, next year we've got to have someone getting huge minutes who pounds the glass hard. He sounds like exactly the guy.

I agree with the assesment of this years players being role players.
Next year I see RS3 and Iverson definitely stronger and improved.
We need more of an outside scoring threat from the the 3 spot.
PG..Needs to be tall enough and quick enough to take it to the basket and able to knock down outside shots when left open. So far Nolen not doing it.
SG.. needs to be a consistent scorer. Look for Joseph to seize that spot next year.

Biggest things for next year:

Nolen has to return to form. It's not realistic to think that Cobbs is going to come in and take over.
If there is more scoring around Nolen I think he gets better- he was much better playing within himself last year. This year- guys were pointing to him as THE man. He's not. He needs to change his jumper over the summer.

Joseph needs to get 25+ minutes and be a 14 point scorer. In college ball if you don't have a guy that is a good consistent scorer at the 2 - you are not going to have an offense.

Sampson - as bad as his jumper has been - I think he can score. If as a big man he can start hitting the 15 footer that's devastating to the opposing defenses. It's really tough to stop a 6-10 guy form getting off a 15 foot jumper. Remember Cook of Illinois a few years back?

Iverson and Mbakwe become dominant on the boards. We really should be a great rebounding team next year.

White becomes the guy who can make his own shot - something we lack when things get tight.

Tubby develop a substitution program that has some rythym to it so that guys are confident and comfortable to do what they are good at. If we become average at half court offense (we have a long ways to go!) considering the rebounding, defense and depth this club will have- they could be a great squad.

I think it was Doyle

who said, and I paraphrase, after watching how bad the gopher half court offense is, he had even more respect for Tubby's coaching ability for getting this team where they are.

Doyle made some good observations about the Gophers after the game, but it was analyst Tim McCormick who said that about Tubby. Can't say I disagree with him. In a nice way McCormick was saying Tubby has gotten a lot out of a team that is very (*%$*&*) offensively. We somehow need to scrape out 2 wins at home next week to secure a bid because we don't look like a team capable of beating anyone (save for maybe Indiana) in Indianapolis. If we're counting on the BTT to help us get a bid, I think we're in deep doo-doo. The Gophers would probably only be about a 3 point favorite over Indiana, Iowa would be close to a pick 'em.

I think if Tubby gets credit for the effort and defense (and he should) he also has to take credit for the offense. So far regarding Tubby:

I'm extremely happy that he's here.
I'm impressed with the effort on defense.
I'm very impressed with the recruiting.
I'm totally not impressed with his offensive strategy or his substitution patterns.

Regarding substitutions: next year is going to be even more interesting to watch. I'll assume Bostick leaves because Tubby has him shut down and it doesn't look repairable. Beyond that he's going to have 12 legit athletes that are going to think they can play. He's going to have to carve out an 8-9 man rotation out of that. Once again the younger guys will likely have a little more talent than the older ones.

s sunday

Doyle made some good observations about the Gophers after the game, but it was analyst Tim McCormick who said that about Tubby. Can't say I disagree with him. In a nice way McCormick was saying Tubby has gotten a lot out of a team that is very (*%$*&*) offensively. We somehow need to scrape out 2 wins at home next week to secure a bid because we don't look like a team capable of beating anyone (save for maybe Indiana) in Indianapolis. If we're counting on the BTT to help us get a bid, I think we're in deep doo-doo. The Gophers would probably only be about a 3 point favorite over Indiana, Iowa would be close to a pick 'em.

thanks for the correction. I got them mixed up during and after the game! :)

I think if Tubby gets credit for the effort and defense (and he should) he also has to take credit for the offense. So far regarding Tubby:

I'm totally not impressed with his offensive strategy or his substitution patterns.

Regarding substitutions: next year is going to be even more interesting to watch. I'll assume Bostick leaves because Tubby has him shut down and it doesn't look repairable. Beyond that he's going to have 12 legit athletes that are going to think they can play. He's going to have to carve out an 8-9 man rotation out of that. Once again the younger guys will likely have a little more talent than the older ones.

Accurate BGA.

It's pretty hard for folks to call a spade a spade about the offense.

>>I also think that DJ and Westbrook will come off the bench next year<<

I think DJ will continue to start next season. His hustle, length, hops, defense, and garbage points will always be essential.

Westbrook is way out of control so often. I don't have much time for him unless the defense is completely worn down or the game devolves into run & gun intramural style basketball.

DJ plays the same position that Royce White does

No way DJ will provide as much as White will. We have enough defense, we need to score.

There's a decent chance that you're right about Bostick...I feel bad about that situation because his brother was here and you could tell that they were both very excited. He had one shining moment this year, but he hasn't been able to step up and be the player we thought he was.

Top Bottom