The best traditions launch themselves

Schnauzer

Pretty Sure You are Wrong
Reaction score
I’ve always enjoyed “Ski U Mah”. It is so unique. It’s kind of fun to bump into a stranger wearing a Gopher tshirt in another state or country and say “Ski U Mah” to them like it is a secret handshake.

Remember a couple earlier years at TCF Bank Stadium when they attempted to put three flags in motion for each side of the stadium to yell “Ski” and “U” and “Mah” in order? If you don’t, do not worry. That effort quickly faded away.

Skip ahead to the present day. It seemed to start on its own but anytime they play the kernkraft music, a growing portion of the crowd yells “Ski U Mah” at the part Penn State fans have long yelled “we are Penn State”.

It just goes to show that traditions and cheers are often unpredictable in the way they start.

each side of the stadium to yell “Ski” and “U” and “Mah” in order

I remember that.

It wasn’t the worst idea but it was done in what seemed to be an effort to fill time after a whole bunch of hype time and I think they miscalculated that the crowd needs a few moments of time too.

I’ve always enjoyed “Ski U Mah”. It is so unique. It’s kind of fun to bump into a stranger wearing a Gopher tshirt in another state or country and say “Ski U Mah” to them like it is a secret handshake.

Remember a couple earlier years at TCF Bank Stadium when they attempted to put three flags in motion for each side of the stadium to yell “Ski” and “U” and “Mah” in order? If you don’t, do not worry. That effort quickly faded away.

Skip ahead to the present day. It seemed to start on its own but anytime they play the kernkraft music, a growing portion of the crowd yells “Ski U Mah” at the part Penn State fans have long yelled “we are Penn State”.

It just goes to show that traditions and cheers are often unpredictable in the way they start.
I hate to break it to you, but that was driven by the spirit squad teaching it to the student section.

Everyone around me does it and we have never been taught anything by the spirit squad. In fact, I didn’t even attend the U.

Why would you hate to break that to me?

I normally agree, but the Skol Chant was not organic, it was literally taught to the fans and it's taken off like wildfire nearly overnight.

Go Gophers!!

Everyone around me does it and we have never been taught anything by the spirit squad. In fact, I didn’t even attend the U.

Why would you hate to break that to me?
Because you were saying "the best traditions launch themselves" and "traditions and cheers are often unpredictable in the way they start.", but the cheer you mentioned was neither.

The spirit squad launched it, and taught it to the students. The students liked it, so they do it, and since they are by far the loudest section in the stadium, it began to spread.

But by no means was the origin of the cheer spontaneous or organic or unpredictable.

They should burn that stupid bell and quit suppressing the broken chair.
I support freedom for the Broken Chair but I see the Bell differently from most

Minnesota and Penn State have had some very memorable games over the past 30 years. Even though the two only play about every 2 years, there is no school we have a more exciting on-field football history with in that time period than the Nits.

The trophy itself is kind of lame, but Penn State has quietly (loudly?) been a very meaningful football series for the Gophers.

Top Bottom