The Benches

Reaction score
I sit on the visitors side. I was struck at the differences between the two sidelines.
The Iowa sideline looked like they wanted to be somewhere else. No emotion at all. I can understand being a team that acts like they've been there before, but they looked like they would rather be somewhere else.
Our sideline looked like they were playing for a championship. In addition to all the jumping around, they were engaged and looked like they were hanging on every play.
I think Coach Kills managing the sidelines is working. I thought it was micro managing when I heard he videotapes the sidelines to see if anyone is screwing around. But it seems to be working.

I sit on the visitors side. I was struck at the differences between the two sidelines.
The Iowa sideline looked like they wanted to be somewhere else. No emotion at all. I can understand being a team that acts like they've been there before, but they looked like they would rather be somewhere else.
Our sideline looked like they were playing for a championship. In addition to all the jumping around, they were engaged and looked like they were hanging on every play.
I think Coach Kills managing the sidelines is working. I thought it was micro managing when I heard he videotapes the sidelines to see if anyone is screwing around. But it seems to be working.
He doesn't video tape the sideline to micro manage he video tapes the sidelines to see how the players react, see who has a bad attitude.

I sit on visitor side as well. What is noticeable is how the whole Gopher team is together watching the play in a huge mass. Focused and supporting whose on the field. I think these are the "little things" the staff must be teaching.

He doesn't video tape the sideline to micro manage he video tapes the sidelines to see how the players react, see who has a bad attitude.

Actually, you are wrong. He also looks to see who screws off and is not paying attention. The players are required to focus on the game during the entire game--whether it's watching the game, going over plays, throwing or kicking. No down time.

My brother has always had theory that you can easily see where the momentum is by looking at the sidelines. We call it "Movement-No Movement". Doesn't matter if it's excitement or agitation. The sideline that is moving the most has the momentum.

My dad made the comment a couple of times to look at the coaches on the sidelines. Our assisstants were going crazy the whole game. I know some of you hate when a player celebrates a play in a meaningless situation, but I think all those little celebrations add up to playing with emotion. Someone posted his postgame locker room speech and he talked about how when you play with emotion things can happen.

This is at least the second time I have seen locker room footage with the players chanting "Jerry! Jerry! Jerry!" maybe I have purged the memory but in all the locker room footage filmed during the Brewster tenure could they be heard yelling "Timmy! Timmy! Timmmmaaay!" ??

Yep, I noticed it too. It is exactly why I thought Doogie's column was complete nonsense last week when he talked about how the Gophers were celebrating the ordinary. I didn't think they were at all showboating and were just super into the game (against Nebraska), and that's why I thought it was a good thing that oursideslines were into the game even though they were getting blown out.

I think that same intensity and energy that got blasted during the Nebraska game was what we saw yesterday and I definitely think it helped them win the game.

Top Bottom