The Bank is LEED Silver

MKE_Gopher

Reaction score
TCF Bank Stadium is now officially the first LEED certified stadium in the nation. The US Green Building Council awarded it Silver status which means that it achieved between 33-38 points out of a possible 69 points.

Among other things, it received points for managing all the rain that falls on the site and allowing it to naturally filter into the Mississippi naturally instead of entering directly into the storm sewer system

The roof is painted white to reduce the urban heat island effect

90% of the steel was recycled and 98% of construction waste was diverted from the landfill

Used low volatile organic compounds (VOC's) in the paint, carpets

The certification levels are
Certified 26-32
Silver 33-38
Gold 39-51
Platinum 52-69

I've worked on LEED projects and am LEED accredited. 33-38 points may not seem like much but I assure you that it is, and these decisions that the University made in making The Bank a "tremendous" stadium should be applauded. SKI-U-MAH

The Twins are going after LEED certification as well (won't find out which level until after it opens) and will become the 2nd ballpark to achieve LEED. The Washington Nationals were 1st.

I believe the target was to just be certified. A few of the Athletics folks I know where hoping they might make it to silver, but not really expecting it. Well done.

Nice! I know a lot of effort was put into this and it is a big deal. I wonder what they would have had to do to get gold or platinum? Build it out of human waste and snot?

This is great news! I was excited when I saw they actually had separate recycling and garbage cans...it's nice to see people making an effort for sustainability.

This is cool, especially since it's the first college stadium to do this. It's also great that it's not a one-off effort for the U. They are planning to pursue LEED certification on many, if not all, new buildings in the future and have a campus-wide energy saving inititative going on right now.

Back to the LEED thing, there may be some up-front costs to do some of these things but it saves us in the long run, esp on public buildings that will be around for a very long time.

question...

Esahnow - Just wondering how "you" became leed certified?

I was working for a firm in Minneapolis after I graduated from the U as an undergrad (I'll get my M.Arch in December). We decided that as a firm we would all become LEED accredited. I studied for a month or so and then took the exam. It was version 2.1 when I became accredited so I'm not sure how the testing has changed now that it is 3.0

A person can't be LEED certified - accredited might be the better choice of words. That question was probably on the test you took to be an "accredited" professional. I think that's what That Guy is referring to. It's funny he brought it up.

That was my point exactly. It is great that the stadium is certified. There are not that many "large" buildings that are certified. Great job U!

Yeah sorry, I'm working on my masters thesis right now and posted that after a very long day. I was a bit tired. Accredited is the correct word there.

Top Bottom