The Athletic: Dane Brugler’s updated NFL Draft rankings: The top 100 prospects in 2023(50. John Michael Schmitz, C, Minnesota (6-3, 306))

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per The Athletic:

50. John Michael Schmitz, C, Minnesota (6-3, 306)​

Although his 2022 film was more up and down than you’d like to see, John Michael Schmitz’s highs are impressive and his Senior Bowl performance was a reminder of the type of ass-kicker he can be. There aren’t many starting-caliber centers in this draft class. Schmitz is one of them, so supply and demand could push him up even higher.

Go Gophers!!

A lot will depend on if anyone in need of a Center drafts for need. I think that could vault Schmitz into the first round. At any rate, he's considered the #1 Center prospect by a lot of the unscientific pre-draft "experts," and he'll be gone by the end of the second round. As for a lot of prospects, a solid performance at the combine would really push him up the order.

OL are rarely so desperately needed or so very skilled that they merit a first round pick.
It happens but not often.

I'm surprised Olusegun Oluwatimi is so far down the list for Centers.

That's who won the Rimington, for the best Center in college football.

Obviously, as the Vikings know, the winners of that award don't necessarily translate into solid NFL Centers. :(

Why is it so important for something that is completely beyond anyone here's ability to control, to have a former MN player go in the first round of the NFL draft?
Does that make the MN record any better?
Would that have made MN beat IA and win the West?
Will that make next year's team any better?

Why is it so important for something that is completely beyond anyone here's ability to control, to have a former MN player go in the first round of the NFL draft?
1. It helps recruiting. If it happens often enough then recruits just glaze over and say, I'm going to Minnesota.
2. In the future it might.
3. If it happened sooner, possibly.
4. Unlikely, it is a longer sequence strategy No immediate gratification. Much more subtle in it's effect.
That help?
Or, more likely, just the Gopher pride of 7 National Titles is a better why. We're back. We are on our way!

Just bummed that Schmitz dominated Wisconsin then, yeah?

It doesn't change the past and it's subjective about what it might do in the future, but I'm surprised that someone who has Badger loyalties can't surmise how the long run of Wisconsin OLs that were drafted on the first or second day had an effect on the quality of OL recruits that came to Madison.

Mel Kiper would get sticky pants gushing over Wisconsin OLs (sometimes justified and sometimes an overblown reputation based on the fact that they were Wisconsin OLs) and if you were/are a high school OL with big-time aspirations, you're probably going to go to a program that will help that along.

It's like you are arguing that kids don't go to Alabama because of what it might mean for a possible NFL future.

I think Schmitz is probably a late-Round 1 or early/mid-Round 2 guy. His success does create a positive vibe for the Gophers. I agree with you it's just a vibe, but in an era that is very vibe-centric, that's more important than it was even a generation ago.

Top Bottom