The 2021 NCAA Tournament will be held in one location this season

Based on cities with multiple arenas and a ton of hotels, you'd think Las Vegas or Orlando would be prime candidates. Maybe Dallas/Fort Worth as well.

I thought I saw a tweet that the whole tournament would be played in Indianapolis.

found this:

The NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Committee announced on Monday that it was in preliminary talks with the city of Indianapolis to potentially host the 68-team tournament in March and April. Indianapolis was already slated to host the Men's Final Four, which is April 3–5, 2021.

A 68 team field would be terrible this season. Mid majors will get screwed. Some conferences will be over-represented with the lack of non-conference play.

Minneapolis loses men's basketball regional under NCAA's new tournament plan

Minneapolis will no longer host the 2021 NCAA men’s basketball Midwest Regional after an announcement Monday the entire NCAA tournament will be held in Indianapolis this season.

Attempting to figure out a plan for the safest environment for all participants in the NCAA tournament, the Division I men’s basketball committee decided that the 68-team field traveling during the 13 preliminary rounds of March Madness would not work during the pandemic.

Committee members are meeting with state and city officials in Indiana and Indianapolis to schedule the entire the NCAA men’s basketball tournament in the surrounding metropolitan area in March and April. The 2021 Final Four was already to be held April 3-5 at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis this season.

The NCAA Midwest Regional had been scheduled for March 25-27 at the Target Center.

Go Gophers!!

I thought I saw a tweet that the whole tournament would be played in Indianapolis.

found this:

The NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Committee announced on Monday that it was in preliminary talks with the city of Indianapolis to potentially host the 68-team tournament in March and April. Indianapolis was already slated to host the Men's Final Four, which is April 3–5, 2021.

Interesting. Curious how many arenas/courts they have to use there? I can think of Colts Stadium, Pacers arena, Hinkle (Butler) and then IUPUI. Maybe there are some smaller D2 and D3 gyms that I'm not aware of.

Will there be fans? TBD? Can you imagine Final 4 in Lucas with no fans. Talk about an empty cavern.
Guess you would have to have 4 gyms the first 2 days unless they spread the first weekend out. If no fans, you could play at local college or even big high school gyms though the press part would be more than difficult. Any thoughts on how this would work?

Will there be fans? TBD? Can you imagine Final 4 in Lucas with no fans. Talk about an empty cavern.
Guess you would have to have 4 gyms the first 2 days unless they spread the first weekend out. If no fans, you could play at local college or even big high school gyms though the press part would be more than difficult. Any thoughts on how this would work?
I'm assuming Butler and IUPUI would be used along with the Pacers arena? Not sure about #4, unless they use the football stadium for all rounds.

University of Indianapolis (D2) has a decent court. Seats like 4k I think.

I would be SHOCKED if they let in fans in any sort of numbers. Maybe like 1k simply to have some families in there. Not that it makes a huge difference but I would say if there are say 8 teams that play in 1 arena in a day i would think between the players/coaches/managers etc there would at least be a few hundred in the gym which takes away some of the cavernous feel.

I'm assuming Butler and IUPUI would be used along with the Pacers arena? Not sure about #4, unless they use the football stadium for all rounds.
Ok. Makes sense. Forgot about IUPUI. Thanks.

In no order. Lucas oil stadium, bankers life, butler, iupui, uindy, marian, franklin. Probably no fans or very limited. Pepsi Coliseum at fairgrounds.

the way things are going with covid, if there is an NCAA tournament, it will essentially be a TV-only event.

So, from that perspective, the size of the arena doesn't matter. as long as the court is regulation sized, and they can set up TV cameras, they could play in a HS gym.

I just wish they would not go with that god-awful phony crowd noise. let us hear the real sounds of the game. and if a coach or player goes all Rich Hill on us with a few F-Bombs, so be it.

So you would need Hotels for 68 teams with lets say staff and players of 30 each. That's 2040 people plus the COVID distancing, food service, referees, and the media.

Then you need enough arenas to host the tournament in the immediate area. They don't have to be huge because there will be no fans! So, almost any major market area could probably pull this off.

Minneapolis could even do it:
Hamline
Target Center
Excel Energy Center
St. Thomas
Macalaster
The U
Bethel
Augsburg

All those gyms are within 10 miles of each other. High School gyms could easily be used.

I think the biggest problem is the food service and the containment bubble.

Minneapolis could definately host! Plenty of college courts around. High school courts are usually 84' as opposed to college which is 94' so high school courts are out.

So you would need Hotels for 68 teams with lets say staff and players of 30 each. That's 2040 people plus the COVID distancing, food service, referees, and the media.

Then you need enough arenas to host the tournament in the immediate area. They don't have to be huge because there will be no fans! So, almost any major market area could probably pull this off.

Minneapolis could even do it:
Hamline
Target Center
Excel Energy Center
St. Thomas
Macalaster
The U
Bethel
Augsburg

All those gyms are within 10 miles of each other. High School gyms could easily be used.

I think the biggest problem is the food service and the containment bubble.
And US Bank.

Top Bottom