Carlson (Wisconsin)
Crowl (Wisconsin)
Dainja (Baylor)
Garcia (Marquette)
Madsen, Gabe (Cincinnati)
Suggs (Gonzaga)
Walton (?)

Last edited:

Remember when people panicked about signing Bryan Greenlee because we wanted the extra scholarship for a packed Minnesota class?

So does this class and a bad season get Pitino fired? I would bet yes.

I would hate to see him go, I'm such a big fan, but things are not looking good for his future

Reactions: sal

So does this class and a bad season get Pitino fired? I would bet yes.

I would hate to see him go, I'm such a big fan, but things are not looking good for his future
He should have been let go already imo, but I only think he gets canned if Coyle has someone in his back pocket.

You can't get one out seven local recruits, something is wrong, yes that does matter, basic fact he's not a good recruiter, that is and should be a big part of his evaluation.

Is there a mid-major head coach or high-major assistant in Coyle’s back pocket?? Someone like Fleck (sorry if the analogy is poor, for b-ball).

You guys have to stop caring so much whether our recruits are born in Minnesota or not. Pitino has signed two 4-star recruits for this class. His recruiting isn't a problem.

Would I like us to be better than 1-3 right now? Absolutely. But we also have so many new faces and building that chemistry can take some time. I also think our shooting has started a little cool. Once we start moving the ball a little quicker and hitting more shots, our record is going to improve and this will all go out the window.

It doesn't matter where they come from is right. What matters is that they are basketball players though. Can they shoot? Do the turn the ball over? Do they play smart? So far, I've been unimpressed with most of the recruits he has brought in.

Flat out, defense, rebound, limit turnovers, SHOOT a good percentage.

You guys have to stop caring so much whether our recruits are born in Minnesota or not. Pitino has signed two 4-star recruits for this class. His recruiting isn't a problem.

Would I like us to be better than 1-3 right now? Absolutely. But we also have so many new faces and building that chemistry can take some time. I also think our shooting has started a little cool. Once we start moving the ball a little quicker and hitting more shots, our record is going to improve and this will all go out the window.

Willis and Carr are shooting 3's in the 20%'s percentage range against high major programs, pretty consistent against this level of competition, it could change but I am not holding my breath, I just don't see the roster as an example of good recruiting, Oturu and Kalschuer but after that bottom of Big Ten.

Willis and Carr are shooting 3's in the 20%'s percentage range against high major programs, pretty consistent against this level of competition, it could change but I am not holding my breath, I just don't see the roster as an example of good recruiting, Oturu and Kalschuer but after that bottom of Big Ten.
You really believe they will stay at 20%? Willis is already back in the 30's. Their career stats would disagree with this as well. Let some of the season play out here.

You really believe they will stay at 20%? Willis is already back in the 30's. Their career stats would disagree with this as well. Let some of the season play out here.

I'm guessing better at home in the 30's and in the 20's on the road against B1G competition.

He should have been let go already imo, but I only think he gets canned if Coyle has someone in his back pocket.
I'm glad someone brought up Coyle. He famously said a couple weeks ago that his goal for our teams was way higher than just finishing .500. (Of course, if Pitino had a conference record anywhere near .500 we wouldn't be having this conversation.) I do believe that Richard has had the AD's confidence and good will, but there comes a point where Coyle will want to go another direction. 7 years is a significant sample size. Recruiting does continue to be fairly decent, but the bottom line is wins.

I'm glad someone brought up Coyle. He famously said a couple weeks ago that his goal for our teams was way higher than just finishing .500. (Of course, if Pitino had a conference record anywhere near .500 we wouldn't be having this conversation.) I do believe that Richard has had the AD's confidence and good will, but there comes a point where Coyle will want to go another direction. 7 years is a significant sample size. Recruiting does continue to be fairly decent, but the bottom line is wins.
7 years is a long time. At some point, you would hope the team would go on a good run. Sweet 16 in the least.

The problem many of us have, including me, is a fondness for Coach Pitino. I'm not sure that group is looking at this objectively.

Well, When the state produces a good handful of Division I recruits, it would nice if he could land one or two of them.

Pretty sure the local talent pool will cool off some...Been a blazing since pitino took over. Rick is pretty good at getting out of state kids ..but sucks at local recruiting..

It absolutely is the problem. He gets one or two solid gets but the rest aren't Big Ten players (Hurt for one example). This roster is super thin at quality players. That is a big recruiting issue.

Recruiting is an issue. He shouldn't have to settle for guys like Freeman and Greenlee late in the recruiting cycle that have no business playing Big 10 ball.

+1

It absolutely is the problem. He gets one or two solid gets but the rest aren't Big Ten players (Hurt for one example). This roster is super thin at quality players. That is a big recruiting issue.
I have a hard time criticizing bringing Hurt in. I would have taken him. But--and I hate to say this, but I have to be honest--I don't think Jarvis Omersa is ever going to be a basketball player. He just stands in the lane and hops on a pogo stick, and his hands never seem to pull down anything other than a rebound that lands in his lap, and even that isn't a sure thing.

Recruiting is an issue. He shouldn't have to settle for guys like Freeman and Greenlee late in the recruiting cycle that have no business playing Big 10 ball.

they said that about Dusty Rykert, John Leuer, and many others as well. Let them play two years first.

That's my line of thinking as well. Pitino has gotten some decent recruits but when we have to settle for guys like Greenlee and Freeman it destroys the teams depth and bench.

Love Pitino as a coach and as a person but it might be time to move on and find a coach who can really recruit. Anyone know of a PJ Fleck type coach in basketball?

Pitino should and will probably get through 2021 to turn it around or Coyle will find a new hire.

[/QUOTE

He has been bailing water out of the boat, instead of rowing it.

It'd be interesting to see a comparison of how Pitino treats recruits during their on-campus visit to that of PJ. Back when I was doing job interview visits, there were huge differences in how I was treated when I arrived - the strech limo picking you up at the airport with a driver versus "get a cab and keep your receipts".

Ok I believe there is more behind the scenes issues going on here.
1. Minnesota AAU coaches pushing kids away from the U?
2 AAU bitter with Pitino?
3. Pitino not offering enough money?
4. Pitino not recruiting hard enough?
5. Obviously there is something going on that we don’t know about that people are not sharing.

If you can’t lean on recruits from your region, you’ll have trouble maintaining a competitive level and that’s been a theme in the Pitino era. Good players from New York, Georgia, Texas etc. are not coming here every year nor can a program like this afford to make trips out to see those kids so establishing those relationships in your state and region is vital.

Entire classes don’t need to be from Minnesota, entire classes don’t need to be from the region but coaches can get in-state or regional recruits on campus a lot easier as we’ve seen this year. There were more kids in during the summer and fall than I think we’ve ever seen prior in the Pitino era. They’ve missed on in-state prospects in this cycle but the approach has been awesome and they may have found a bit of a gem in Mitchell. The issue is that hasn’t always been the case and while coaches haven’t come out and said it, I’m sure the previous approach and emphasis on the East Coast has burned some unrepairable bridges....lotta egos in High School/AAU sports.

Reality is Pitino got this job way before he was ready and I think just now is finding his footing as the leader of a program but recuriting has always been his downfall. Kids like Garcia and Tyrell Terry (who’s had a good start at Stanford) should be lay ups for this program and now they’re headed to comprable programs out of state. I think he’ll be successful in his next stop but the window for an upswing has come and gone. We’ve hit a ceiling.

If you can’t lean on recruits from your region, you’ll have trouble maintaining a competitive level and that’s been a theme in the Pitino era. Good players from New York, Georgia, Texas etc. are not coming here every year nor can a program like this afford to make trips out to see those kids so establishing those relationships in your state and region is vital.

Entire classes don’t need to be from Minnesota, entire classes don’t need to be from the region but coaches can get in-state or regional recruits on campus a lot easier as we’ve seen this year. There were more kids in during the summer and fall than I think we’ve ever seen prior in the Pitino era. They’ve missed on in-state prospects in this cycle but the approach has been awesome and they may have found a bit of a gem in Mitchell. The issue is that hasn’t always been the case and while coaches haven’t come out and said it, I’m sure the previous approach and emphasis on the East Coast has burned some unrepairable bridges....lotta egos in High School/AAU sports.

Reality is Pitino got this job way before he was ready and I think just now is finding his footing as the leader of a program but recuriting has always been his downfall. Kids like Garcia and Tyrell Terry (who’s had a good start at Stanford) should be lay ups for this program and now they’re headed to comprable programs out of state. I think he’ll be successful in his next stop but the window for an upswing has come and gone. We’ve hit a ceiling.

no top 100 kid is ever a lay up for any program.

What is the final straw in the coach's MN tenure?

Oh, this isn't Jeopardy.

Top Bottom