The 10 greatest Gopher football players, according to ChatGPT

fmlizard

Reaction score
The prompt: Create a listicle of the 10 greatest Gopher football players of all time.

The response:
  1. Bronko Nagurski - Considered one of the greatest football players of all time, Nagurski was a dominant force at both the fullback and tackle positions.
  2. Bruce Smith - A two-time All-American and three-time Big Ten champion, Smith was one of the most dominant defensive ends in college football history.
  3. Carl Eller - A dominant defensive end and six-time Pro Bowler, Eller was a key member of the Vikings' "Purple People Eaters" defense.
  4. Chuck Foreman - One of the most versatile and dynamic running backs in college football history, Foreman was a two-time All-American and three-time Pro Bowler.
  5. Ed Marinaro - One of the most productive running backs in college football history, Marinaro was a two-time All-American and a finalist for the 1971 Heisman Trophy.
  6. Gary Russell - A bruising running back and two-time All-Big Ten selection, Russell helped lead the Gophers to back-to-back Rose Bowl appearances in 2003 and 2004.
  7. Laurence Maroney - A dominant running back and two-time All-Big Ten selection, Maroney helped lead the Gophers to back-to-back 10-win seasons in 2003 and 2004.
  8. Paul Giel - A dominant quarterback and two-time All-American, Giel helped lead the Gophers to three consecutive Rose Bowl appearances in the 1950s.
  9. Sandy Stephens - One of the most dominant quarterbacks in college football history, Stephens was a two-time All-American and the first African American quarterback to win a national championship.
  10. Darrell Thompson - A dominant running back and two-time All-Big Ten selection, Thompson helped lead the Gophers to three consecutive bowl games in the late 1980s.

Started off strong, but then Gary Russell started taking the Gophers to Rose Bowls and Chuck Foreman and Ed Marinaro must have been taking night classes during their Vikings days.

If you read closely, almost every player entry is wrong including Bruce Smith taking on the bio of Bills Bruce Smith, Paul Giel and 3 Rose Bowls that never happened, back to back 10 win seasons for Laurence Maroney, a couple extra bowl games for Darrell Thompson, etc. Not looking like it's going to be taking too many jobs any time soon.

Last edited:

The prompt: Create a listicle of the 10 greatest Gopher football players of all time.

The response:
  1. Bronko Nagurski - Considered one of the greatest football players of all time, Nagurski was a dominant force at both the fullback and tackle positions.
  2. Bruce Smith - A two-time All-American and three-time Big Ten champion, Smith was one of the most dominant defensive ends in college football history.
  3. Carl Eller - A dominant defensive end and six-time Pro Bowler, Eller was a key member of the Vikings' "Purple People Eaters" defense.
  4. Chuck Foreman - One of the most versatile and dynamic running backs in college football history, Foreman was a two-time All-American and three-time Pro Bowler.
  5. Ed Marinaro - One of the most productive running backs in college football history, Marinaro was a two-time All-American and a finalist for the 1971 Heisman Trophy.
  6. Gary Russell - A bruising running back and two-time All-Big Ten selection, Russell helped lead the Gophers to back-to-back Rose Bowl appearances in 2003 and 2004.
  7. Laurence Maroney - A dominant running back and two-time All-Big Ten selection, Maroney helped lead the Gophers to back-to-back 10-win seasons in 2003 and 2004.
  8. Paul Giel - A dominant quarterback and two-time All-American, Giel helped lead the Gophers to three consecutive Rose Bowl appearances in the 1950s.
  9. Sandy Stephens - One of the most dominant quarterbacks in college football history, Stephens was a two-time All-American and the first African American quarterback to win a national championship.
  10. Darrell Thompson - A dominant running back and two-time All-Big Ten selection, Thompson helped lead the Gophers to three consecutive bowl games in the late 1980s.

Started off strong, but then Gary Russell started taking the Gophers to Rose Bowls and Chuck Foreman and Ed Marinaro must have been taking night classes during their Vikings days.

If you read closely, almost every player entry is wrong including Bruce Smith taking on the bio of Bills Bruce Smith, Paul Giel and 3 Rose Bowls that never happened, back to back 10 win seasons for Laurence Maroney, a couple extra bowl games for Darrell Thompson, etc. Not looking like it's going to be taking too many jobs any time soon.

That’s hilarious.

I like this… “Chat GPT”“. I’ve always said we need more half-baked tech crap. I would love to be a fly on the wall while teachers read essays built with this thing 😄

It needs some work. Guessing Google's will speedboat this app when it comes out.

That’s hilarious.

I like this… “Chat GPT”“. I’ve always said we need more half-baked tech crap. I would love to be a fly on the wall while teachers read essays built with this thing 😄
Except teachers are using ChatGPT to grade the papers. LOL.

I wish I would have enjoyed those Rose Bowls after the 03 and 04 seasons more. Guess I just got fixated on our disappointing 4th place Big Ten finish in 03 and only going 3-5 in conference play in 04. It was an incredible gesture by the Big Ten, though, to send us to the Rose Bowl in each of those two years. #eyeroll

The response:

Yeah, the tech has a ways to go. Definitely emphasizes the need to be careful about what you read on the internet because for someone that didn't know better you might assume this info is correct.

I can kind of see why the Vikings guys would have ended up on the list and the Bruce Smith think kind of makes sense. The perplexing one is Gary Russell and the back to back Rose Bowls. I would get that one some if there was a team that went back to back and had a running back with the last name Russell in 03 and 04. But 03 and 04 Rose Bowl did not have any back to back teams in those games.

ChatGPT is confidently incorrect sometimes. It'll even make up sources to try to back it's statement up. It's a step in the right direction, but needs tuning to make sure that basic facts (about when the Gophers went to the rose bowl, for example) are always correct.

ChatGPT is confidently incorrect sometimes. It'll even make up sources to try to back it's statement up. It's a step in the right direction, but needs tuning to make sure that basic facts (about when the Gophers went to the rose bowl, for example) are always correct.

Set Dpo loose on the development team for motivational purposes.

In reality this is so far away from prime time not sure what practical use it has. Nice demo.

I never knew there was a Gopher connection to Hill Street Blues.

Let's be careful out there.

Man, I was in college in 2003 and 2004, but could have sworn I was sober for part of that experience. Those Rose Bowl seasons are a total blur... more blurry than I recall.

I never knew there was a Gopher connection to Hill Street Blues.

Let's be careful out there.
NY Giants' great Nate Scarboro went to Minnesota.

I would have picked him over Foreman.

I love the alternate universe where Gary "Barrel of thighs" Russell leads the Gophers to back-to-back Rose Bowls. What great fan-fic

I love the alternate universe where Gary "Barrel of thighs" Russell leads the Gophers to back-to-back Rose Bowls. What great fan-fic
The whole thing is very positive about the Gophers and gave the program at least 5 Rose Bowls that were never attended (2 for Gary and 3 for Paul Giel) plus two more bowls under Gutey in the late 80s.

Plus, 7 of the players were "dominant" (needs a little work on varying adjectives and structure like a good human writer would) so the Gophers must have a legacy of total domination in ChatGPT world.

Set Dpo loose on the development team for motivational purposes.

In reality this is so far away from prime time not sure what practical use it has. Nice demo.
I guess it depends how you define "Prime Time". It's been great for me getting a general boilerplate or framework of something to write or code, saving tons of time typing and doing setup. It doesn't get you anything that's perfect and is easily swayed by a forceful prompt, but it can be useful.

Top Bottom