That Championship Season

hungan1

Reaction score
That Championship Season by Rick Johnson, 2021 (University of Minnesota Alumni Association) is worth reading if you haven't.

Murray Warmath was a transformative coach as well as a social change agent.

“In Sandy’s eyes, he was just an extraordinary man of integrity, despite what was going on around him and all the turmoil.”

PJ Fleck is also a transformative hire although not to the stature of Warmath quite yet. His legacy is still being written.

I have a better title for PJ's book.

That First Championship Season

That Championship Season by Rick Johnson, 2021 (University of Minnesota Alumni Association) is worth reading if you haven't.

Murray Warmath was a transformative coach as well as a social change agent.

“In Sandy’s eyes, he was just an extraordinary man of integrity, despite what was going on around him and all the turmoil.”

PJ Fleck is also a transformative hire although not to the stature of Warmath quite yet. His legacy is still being written.

Thanks for the reference. I love the historical college football stuff. This will be on my list.

I've always wondered if they should've given Warmath a few more years at the end of his coaching term, sure he had a few down years but could he have turned it around again? Or was there more to it?

I've always wondered if they should've given Warmath a few more years at the end of his coaching term, sure he had a few down years but could he have turned it around again? Or was there more to it?
I’m old enough to remember Warmath’s last year, but young enough to not quite remember the details. I think it was an amicable decision because he became a Gopher Assistant Athletic Director for the next 6 years. He had a losing record for each of his last three seasons coaching, so maybe he wanted a change instead of being forced out. I’m sure some other old timer here has better insight about this than me.

Top Bottom