Texas and Navy

Kudos to Maturi and Brewster for scheduling Texas and Navy! If the Gophers make bowls in the future, it won't be because of cake OOC schedule.

WOW! Awesome. I wish these games were sooner but I know how hard scheduling is and how few dates there are to work with.

Hopefully this will shut up all the people who were whining about how we never play anyone.....

And this will definately piss off the sconnies big time.....We get USC and Texas....they get Cal Poly and Wofford....

Wow the gopher basketball team ticket holders have to be pretty envious.

"The Gophers have only faced Texas once in their 126-year history, with Minnesota taking a 47-19 win in Minneapolis in 1936."

We OWN them!

Sounds good. Get Army scheduled for a future game, and we have all three of the academies. (No disrespect to the Coast Guard and Merchant Marine academies, of course)

Hopefully this will shut up all the people who were whining about how we never play anyone.....

And this will definately piss off the sconnies big time.....We get USC and Texas....they get Cal Poly and Wofford....

I am sure they will also be very happy to win the games and get the chance at a decent bowl, while we have a difficult time scraping out 6 wins.

Sorry to be so pessimistic but it is also realistic, who knows maybe we'll be a much better team then.

While we used to get easy W's in cupcake non-conference games... and get killed in Big Ten games...

Now we might lose to top notch teams in the Non-conference games but that will 100% get us more prepared to win our Big 10 games...

its kind of a trade-off, that I LOVE...

I am sure they will also be very happy to win the games and get the chance at a decent bowl, while we have a difficult time scraping out 6 wins.

Sorry to be so pessimistic but it is also realistic, who knows maybe we'll be a much better team then.

We're not playing them all in one year. If you look at the future schedules, you will see a nice assortment of non conference opponents, most of which are winnable games. I understand your pessimism. It's tough to see them repeat the same cycle of either being miserable or getting our hopes up, only to have them dashed later on, year after year. Here's hoping we're trending towards a more successful future.

We're not playing them all in one year. If you look at the future schedules, you will see a nice assortment of non conference opponents, most of which are winnable games. I understand your pessimism. It's tough to see them repeat the same cycle of either being miserable or getting our hopes up, only to have them dashed later on, year after year. Here's hoping we're trending towards a more successful future.

Yes I know the games are spread out, but realisticaly we are probably going to lose to USC. I would prefer that we schedule a middle of the road BCS conference team (Oregon, Kansas, North Carolina, Miss St.). Yes it is exciting to play USC, but I would also like to win some of these games too.

Sorry to so negative...but IMO we do not have much hope going in.

Anyway...heres to at least a few wins against these teams..and for the succesful future.

I love the new additions to the schedule. Having one Top-10 worthy team on the non-conference schedule every year is great for the program. Recruits are gonna love seeing MN playing USC and Texas on national TV...

I'm stoked. They're great programs, sure, and they will be great home games for us. But even better, they'll be great road trips for us too. I've been to Texas and their stadium...it's a great campus and that stadium (and atmosphere) is a shrine to college football. Wow, I can't wait until we get to go down there. I'm already getting my time off for that trip.

I love the new additions to the schedule. Having one Top-10 worthy team on the non-conference schedule every year is great for the program. Recruits are gonna love seeing MN playing USC and Texas on national TV...

Alright now these points are starting to get through my thick skull.

With bigger games, we will attract bigger recruits. Just because we couldn't hang with them today, doesn't mean we won't be able to by then.

Winning improves recruiting.

"With bigger games, we will attract bigger recruits."

I think there is something to this but I think its more important to beat bigger team. If we want better recruits we cant just play these bigger teams we have to actually perform well against them. Its not like recruits say I am going to go to Minnesota because I can play USC rather than going to another school to play Tulane. They are going to come to Minnesota because not only do we play USC we have a chance to beat them too. If we go into these games and get killed by 20+ points we wont have the same coach, the same AD, and we sure wont have the support we hope to have. In the end you must beat these teams.

I love the fact that we are going after these matchups but I think the more important games are those against UNC and Colorado. BCS schools that we not only can play against but beat as well.

Well obviously. It's not like we're Indiana. We have momentum and national attention -- these games can lock us in, so long as any losses are at least close.

But even better, they'll be great road trips for us too. I've been to Texas and their stadium...it's a great campus and that stadium (and atmosphere) is a shrine to college football. Wow, I can't wait until we get to go down there. I'm already getting my time off for that trip.

Agreed! These are both destinations you can plan a vacation around. Austin is a great city and stadium with Dallas and San Antonio just a couple hours away! Then Annapolis, with the stadium built overlooking the Chesapeake Bay...just beautiful! Also, near Washington DC, Baltimore, and the Eastern Shore beaches. Sure beats out a trip to Murfreesboro, Tenn. :p I can't wait! :clap:

out of conference BCS opponents thru 2022

Thanks to the Texas announcement, these are the currently scheduled out of conference BCS opponents for the next 13 years. Pretty impressive list!

2010, 2011 - USC
2012 - Syracuse (home) + TBD?
2013, 2014 - North Carolina
2015, 2016 - Texas
2017, 2018 - Oregon State
2019, 2020 - Navy (okay, technically not BCS, but a good game to have)
2021, 2022 - Colorado

This is great to hear. I like the schedule. We have some easy games and one quality to high quality opponent every year. Great for the fans and the players.

I like this because it's only one game a year. We're going to get exposure, it gets the players excited, and puts the programs in the mouths of national pundits a little more frequently. Meanwhile, if the day comes sometime way down the road, where we maybe do start thinking National Championship, we have the schedule to back us up.

Well, if nothing else, we won't be hearing the word "cupcake" associated with the non-conference schedule in the near future. :)

As Ric Flair once said: "To be the man, you've got to beat the man". You can't elevate your program until you beat upper tier schools. Hawaii tried to show they belong and got worked by Georgia. Utah went out and beat Bama. Pretty evident where those schools stand in the eyes of the pollsters today.

Top Bottom