Terry Holland, who transformed Virginia basketball, dies

BleedGopher

Reaction score
For those that don't remember, he was close to taking the Gopher job after Haskins was fired.

Per ESPN:

Terry Holland, who elevated Virginia basketball to national prominence during 16 seasons as coach and later had a distinguished career as an athletic administrator, has died, the school announced Monday. He was 80.

Holland died Sunday night, according to the school, which confirmed the death with his family. His health had declined since being diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease in 2019, and he had stopped taking his prominent courtside seat at Virginia home games.

Holland took over a flailing program in 1974. The Cavaliers had had just three winning seasons in 21 years before Holland created a culture that proved a formula for success: His Cavaliers played rugged defense.

Two of his first three teams finished with losing records but only one more did as Holland compiled a 326-173 record and led Virginia to nine NCAA tournaments, two Final Fours and the 1980 NIT title. He also guided the Cavaliers to their first ACC tournament title in 1976 despite a modest 15-11 regular-season record.

Including a five-year stint at Davidson, Holland's record is 418-216.

His biggest victory, however, likely was luring the nation's most coveted recruit, 7-foot-4 Ralph Sampson of Harrisonburg, to join the Cavaliers for the 1979-80 season, and it was then that the turnaround took off.

"Terry Holland," Sampson told The Associated Press in an interview earlier this month when asked what made him choose upstart Virginia over more established suitors. "He was mainly the deciding factor. Good school, good teammates, good education, ACC. I mean, you had Dean Smith and all those people around, but he understood my demeanor and fit what I wanted in a coach. He was the perfect fit for me."

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom