Teenage son of Iowa basketball coach Fran McCaffery identified as driver in crash that killed National Guard soldier

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Nicholas:

The teenage son of Iowa Men’s basketball coach Fran McCaffery was identified as the driver who fatally struck a National Guardsman who was jogging across a street two months ago.

Jonathan Jack McCaffery, 16, and was driving his grey 2022 Hyundai Santa Fe from school on May 22 when he struck Iowa Army National Guard Sgt. First Class Corey Hite shortly after 4 p.m. about a mile and a half west of Iowa City West High School, according to the criminal complaint viewed by The Post.

The crash left Hite, a 27-year veteran of the National Guard, with life-threatening injuries including a pelvis fracture, multiple skull fractures, and holes in his lung and kidney.

Per Nicholas:

The teenage son of Iowa Men’s basketball coach Fran McCaffery was identified as the driver who fatally struck a National Guardsman who was jogging across a street two months ago.

Jonathan Jack McCaffery, 16, and was driving his grey 2022 Hyundai Santa Fe from school on May 22 when he struck Iowa Army National Guard Sgt. First Class Corey Hite shortly after 4 p.m. about a mile and a half west of Iowa City West High School, according to the criminal complaint viewed by The Post.

The crash left Hite, a 27-year veteran of the National Guard, with life-threatening injuries including a pelvis fracture, multiple skull fractures, and holes in his lung and kidney.

That is horrible. Prayers to both families.

I'm trying to understand why he would be given a citation if it was unavoidable?

I really hope it truly was unavoidable.

if the pedestrian was in a cross-walk, then he has the right of way. Now, if the pedestrian was crossing the street against the light, that changes the story.

I would have to know more of the details. what was the position of the vehicles? who had the light? was Fran's kid turning or going straight? I've read a lot of accident reports, and they usually spell out all of those factors.

and this - given the extent of the injuries, how fast was the kid driving?

to be fair, we are talking about a 16 year old kid - maybe hasn't had his license for very long. lots of kids that age can be spooky behind the wheel.

if the pedestrian was in a cross-walk, then he has the right of way. Now, if the pedestrian was crossing the street against the light, that changes the story.

I would have to know more of the details. what was the position of the vehicles? who had the light? was Fran's kid turning or going straight? I've read a lot of accident reports, and they usually spell out all of those factors.

and this - given the extent of the injuries, how fast was the kid driving?

to be fair, we are talking about a 16 year old kid - maybe hasn't had his license for very long. lots of kids that age can be spooky behind the wheel.
Almost has to be an intersection without a light...right?
If the guy is going to die, it is hard to imagine he was stopped and the guy flashed in front as he was taking off? Because if that is the scenario how do you keep going and run the guy over...which seems like it almost had to happen?
Hard to know from the information presented.
And if he just blew through the stop sign...well that would be different. Do we even know there was a stop sign? Or just a crosswalk? The runner and the driver couldn't have seen each other you'd think?

So if I want Gopher Basketball news I need to go to page 3,472 of a thread about a recruit. But if I want to know about a tragedy involving the offspring of a coach of another team, new thread.

This message board is an utter joke.
It's July... what kind of basketball news are you looking for?

So if I want Gopher Basketball news I need to go to page 3,472 of a thread about a recruit. But if I want to know about a tragedy involving the offspring of a coach of another team, new thread.

You must have missed the 7 other new threads that have been started so far this week about Asuma, Christie, upcoming schedules, returning scoring, the transfer portal/NIL, and the NCAA tournament.

There are new threads on our schedule, Cam Christie, our % of returning scorers, videos of Ihnen, pro am, Asuma, Carrington, Mbakwe, etc and that’s just in the last few days and you didn’t respond to a single post in there but chose to bitch in this one. You seem like an angry dude.

You are an utter joke.

There are new threads on our schedule, Cam Christie, our % of returning scorers, videos of Ihnen, pro am, Asuma, Carrington, Mbakwe, etc and that’s just in the last few days and you didn’t respond to a single post in there but chose to bitch in this one. You seem like an angry dude.

You are an utter joke.
Nate is good buddies with Nadine, angry people usually find each other.

Right under your name it says “bored with recruiting talk”

100% certain it is a right on red issue. I bike… only 5% of motorists full stop at right on red. Even the most drivers are looking solidly left. Oh well

found a report on an Iowa TV station that showed footage of the intersection where the accident took place.

looks like a four-lane divided main highway in one direction and a two-lane street or avenue connecting at the intersection. No streetlights. No stop sign that I could see on the four-lane highway, with a stop sign on the two-lane avenue.

still don't know what direction the jogger was heading. also don't know whether McCaffery was in the inside or outside lane.

the kid is supposedly a 4* recruit, who has not committed at this point, but reportedly said he was learning toward going somewhere other than IA.

Top Bottom