Team Statistics - through 10/24

Clyde Tester

Reaction score
The following stats are from http://www.cfbstats.com/ through the games played 10/24/09. Note that there are 120 teams included in the team statistics for each category. Some of you love stats, others despise or discount them. However you view stats, here they are season-to-date (with 2008 total season #s for trending purposes). Discuss.

OFFENSE
Scoring Offense 2009 - #101 2008 - #93
Total Offense 2009 - #111 2008 - #91
Rushing Offense 2009 - #105 2008 - #105
Passing Offense 2009 - #89 2008 - #55
3rd Down Conversions 2009 - #90 2008 - #96
Time of Possession 2009 - #114 2008 - #65

DEFENSE
Scoring Defense 2009 - #70 2008 - #61
Rushing Defense 2009 - #96 2008 - #68
Passing Defense 2009 - #76 2008 - #94 (decent improvement)
Total Defense 2009 - #95 2008 - #81
3rd down conversions allowed 2009 - #115 2008 - #61

MISC
Penalty Yardage 2009 - #45 2008 - #76 (significant improvement)

Conference Stats

BIG TEN CONFERENCE

OFFENSE
Scoring Offense 2009 - #10 2008 - #9
Rushing Offense 2009 - #11 2008 - #11
Passing Offense 2009 - #8 2008 - #4
Total Offense 2009 - #11 2008 - #10
Time of Possession 2009 - #10 2008 - #6

DEFENSE
Scoring Defense 2009 - #8 2008 - #6
Rushing Defense 2009 - #10 2008 - #8
Passing Defense 2009 - #8 2008 - #10
Total Defense 2009 - #10 2008 - #10

MISC
Penalties 2009 - #8 2008 - #11

For the most part, I think the stats speak for themselves. However, I think the defense is a bit better, but the offense's lack of possesion time ends up hurting the defense.

For the most part, I think the stats speak for themselves. However, I think the defense is a bit better, but the offense's lack of possesion time ends up hurting the defense.

I understand that many believe there is a direct correlation between diminishing TOP and a decrease in defensive production, but I'm not sure it's that easy. As an example that it doesn't have to be that way:

Nebraska 2009 TOP ranking - #74 2008 - #2 (holy crap - dropped 72 spots)
Nebraska 2009 Total Defense Ranking - #7 2008 - #55 (so have improved 48 spots in total defense despite a 72 spot drop in TOP)

It's an easy reason/excuse to say that the offense is killing the defense, but clearly it doesn't have to turn out that way. It has just turned out that way in our case here.

I understand that many believe there is a direct correlation between diminishing TOP and a decrease in defensive production, but I'm not sure it's that easy. As an example that it doesn't have to be that way:

Nebraska 2009 TOP ranking - #74 2008 - #2 (holy crap - dropped 72 spots)
Nebraska 2009 Total Defense Ranking - #7 2008 - #55 (so have improved 48 spots in total defense despite a 72 spot drop in TOP)

It's an easy reason/excuse to say that the offense is killing the defense, but clearly it doesn't have to turn out that way. It has just turned out that way in our case here.

I'm guessing that's pretty rare. Generally, the more you're on defense, the more yards you're going to give up.

In each category...

what is the absolute difference (yds etc) between the median (60th) ranked team in each year vs the Gs? How much delta is actually involved here?

Wow...don't know if it's just me, but those numbers seem pretty encouraging. For some reason, I felt like our offense was a LOT more effective last season.

Given the dramatic difference in schedule quality in these 2 seasons, especially in early games, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see some decent improvement across the board by the end of the season (which is my way of saying I fully expect the offense to tick up in all of those rankings now that we're past the real teeth of the schedule)

what is the absolute difference (yds etc) between the median (60th) ranked team in each year vs the Gs? How much delta is actually involved here?

OVERALL - 120 teams (yardage rounded)
---------------------Gophers - Median (#60)
Rushing Offense - 105 ypg -- 146 ypg
Passing Offense - 186 ypg -- 218 ypg
Total Offense - 292 ypg -- 380 ypg

Rushing Defense - 177 ypg -- 134 ypg
Passing Defense - 229 ypg -- 215 ypg
Total Defense - 407 ypg -- 353 ypg

Of more value/relevance though would be to look at the ranges within the conference:

BIG TEN CONFERENCE
----------------------Worst Team - Gophers - #5 Team - Top Team
Rushing Offense - 105 ypg -- 105 ypg -- 171 ypg -- 219 ypg
Passing Offense - 181 ypg -- 186 ypg -- 232 ypg -- 273 ypg
Total Offense - 292 ypg -- 292 ypg -- 394 ypg -- 428 ypg

Rushing Defense - 185 ypg -- 177 ypg -- 117 ypg -- 79 ypg
Passing Defense - 245 ypg -- 229 ypg -- 211 ypg -- 160 ypg
Total Defense - 415 ypg -- 407 ypg -- 327 ypg -- 240 ypg

Thanks much for the delta update...

will be interesting to see how these #'s play out now that PSU & tOSU are history. Please make a note to post the same analysis at the end of the season as part of the GHer HC "grading" exercise which will certainly be a hot thread!

BTW...do those BT #'s reflect just BT games...

or all games...eg the MI beatdown of Delaware St, PSU of Eastern IL St etc? If they do include all games, can you post a similar breakdown for just BT opponents and eliminate the non-conference #'s? Nice work! Thanks much.

or all games...eg the MI beatdown of Delaware St, PSU of Eastern IL St etc? If they do include all games, can you post a similar breakdown for just BT opponents and eliminate the non-conference #'s? Nice work! Thanks much.

The BT stats do include all games - not just Big Ten games. If I find the time I'll try to tackle the conference v. non-conference games as that data is in fact available. I will also try to update some of these stats through the rest of the season.

Conference v. Non-Conference

Here are just some quick #s that include only conference or non-conference games through 10/24:

BIG TEN CONFERENCE GAMES ONLY
----------------Worst -- Gophers -- #5 in Conf. -- Best
Total Offense -- 277 ypg -- 277 ypg -- 372 ypg -- 420 ypg
Total Defense -- 440 ypg -- 440 ypg -- 320 ypg -- 269 ypg

Counting only conference games the Gophers are last in both Total Offense and Total Defense.

COUNTING ONLY NON-CONFERENCE GAMES
----------------Worst -- Gophers -- #5 in Conf. -- Best
Total Offense -- 319 ypg -- 319 ypg -- 422 ypg -- 511 ypg
Total Defense -- 421 ypg -- 352 ypg -- 323 ypg -- 210 ypg

Counting only non-conference games the Gohpers are last in Total Offense and #8 in Total Defense.

Sobering...looking at these #'s Brew is an absolute...

Houdini to have the Gs at 4-4...amazing W/L over-achievement based on these dismal stats alone... recognizing that they include the woeful #'s vs PSU & tOSU.

If he is indeed successful in closing the recruiting/match-up gap vs the BT "mid-tier", there is going to be a lot of GH talk about that over the next two years with probably a much more positive tone in many areas.

Thanks again for the # crunching and please keep us updated as the stats flow in!

Two years ago I asked: "How in the world are we ever going to score?"

Everybody freaked out.

Last year I asked: "How in the world are we going to score?"

Everybody freaked out.

This year I asked: "How in the world are we going to score?

Everybody freaked out.

Care to guess what my question will be next year?

That's right: "Erin Andrews, will you marry me?"

I find it sort of interesting that all the threads about arguing and calling each other names and sniping at one another continue to grow and grow, but this thread about FACTS is in danger of withering on the vine (yes, this is a shameless bump). How can these stats NOT generate more discussion than they have? I look forward to pulling these numbers in the weeks ahead to see if there is improvement made during a softer stretch of schedule - but is there any interest in the data? I'll hang up an listen.

Jay-Z said it best..."Men Lie, Women Lie, Numbers Don't."

Clyde...please keep updating this valuable thread...

it will help keep all GHers...no matter which side of the street we're on...in touch with current reality.

Also, please consider posting a separate line in the BT stats to show the results of the most recent Minny game (next up MSU of course) vs the averages in the various categories. Adding the most recent game will show which way the Gs are trending vs the averages...you might consider updating your most recent charts with a separate line for the Gs results vs tOSU.

Thanks much...great work!

Defense better than the stats imply because of strength of schedule and the fact the offense can't get momentum. Offense has been poor for three years, but the defense did pretty well against Penn State and Ohio State in the first halves of those games. We don't have a premier running back (except Gray) and we don't have a QB who can hit at .650 or so (except maybe Gray).

It was requsted that I post some matchup stats each week - I'll create a new thread each week for those stats. Also bumping for those who havne't seen this set of data.

I find it sort of interesting that all the threads about arguing and calling each other names and sniping at one another continue to grow and grow, but this thread about FACTS is in danger of withering on the vine (yes, this is a shameless bump). How can these stats NOT generate more discussion than they have? I look forward to pulling these numbers in the weeks ahead to see if there is improvement made during a softer stretch of schedule - but is there any interest in the data? I'll hang up an listen.

For one thing, I'm not sure it's really new information. (Although it is more wide-ranging and specific than we've seen, and I think we all appreciate the time you took to do it.)

More importantly, the tone on this thread has been uncharacteristically civil. There hasn't been a post yet that says, "See, I told you Brewster needs to go." Or, "Yeah, but this is all Mason's recruits." Once that happens, let the name-calling and the "Am not" ... "Are too" begin.

More importantly, the tone on this thread has been uncharacteristically civil. There hasn't been a post yet that says, "See, I told you Brewster needs to go." Or, "Yeah, but this is all Mason's recruits." Once that happens, let the name-calling and the "Am not" ... "Are too" begin.

Good point - this isn't nearly as fun for some I guess! :rolleyes:

Agree.

Mods, please consider making the weekly stat updates from C Tester a sticky for the current week...would insure that all GHers have ready access to actual summarized field performance results when posting/commenting and thus we are all on the same page from a #'s point of view.

At least we should all have the opportunity to agree on the stat facts and comment/post +/- from the same stat base. Thanks.

MISC
Penalty Yardage 2009 - #45 2008 - #76 (significant improvement)

i may be wrong, but i think this is a significant decline. i think that the higher a team is, the more penalty yardage that team has against it.

i may be wrong, but i think this is a significant decline. i think that the higher a team is, the more penalty yardage that team has against it.

It's a good question - I checked when I posted the #s but your question made me second-guess myself. The site I'm using lists penalties from best in the nation (UConn at a measley 29.1 ypg as #1) all the way down to the #120 team in the nation, Arizona State, being penalized at a whopping 89 ypg. So for this specific site they do use #1 as the "best" (fewest ypg).

http://www.cfbstats.com/2009/leader/national/team/offense/split01/category14/sort01.html

I'm guessing there may be other sites that do go the other direction though so it was certainly worth asking about.

Minnesota is averaging 53 ypg in penalties to date. Interestingly Minnesota average 53 ypg in penalties in 2008 as well - so even though they ranked significantly worse in the nation last year, they were penalized the exact same ypg as they have been season-to-date in 2009. So no improvement at all really I guess.

Top Bottom