TCU Trying To Steal More Recruits

You've got to be kidding me. Hawkins is our best out state recruit (in my opinion). I really hope the staff is on top of this situation because we can't afford any more bad news.

I know his offer list is amazing, he looks like a stud if we lose him I will be upset because of all the loses already.

This is getting comical. Let's play a game. For full points, who's the next person to leave this program? Also, for half points, who's the next to get arrested?

This is what happens when you can't produce a winning program people......this isn't rocket science. Players want to play for winners.

This is getting comical. Let's play a game. For full points, who's the next person to leave this program? Also, for half points, who's the next to get arrested?

I always wonder if a lot of Gopher fans watch any other college football. The amount of arrests at the U (for football) is very in line with what is happening at every school in the country. Iowa, Wisconsin, Penn St., obviously MSU have all had problems the last few years (i'm not trying to compare them all and get into that tired debate). However the references to the Gopher program like it is exceptionally dirty is extremely naive.

I don't like the amount of recruits we are losing, but it is kind of in line with how things go. We recruit better than our on the field performance has dictated and it isn't that peculiar that we are losing players. To be honest, a guy like Huff and Hawkins coming to the U at this point is kind of an anomoly. It is troublesome with Brewster however. If the guy is losing recruits, what does he hang his hat on. The way things are working out, I think that seat will be mighty warm next season.

Brewster has a very good track record in the state of Texas, but now that TCU is in the BCS they are yet another team that the Gophers have to compete with on the recruiting trail. I really hope Hawkins stays, but I have a bad feeling about this.

I really hope he stays as well (probably one of my favorite recruits of this season), but it'd be hard to blame the kid for choosing TCU. It's closer to home, they are currently a better program, and if i'm not mistaken their HC just signed a long extension. Furthermore, Hawkins can probably play against lesser opponents (puff up stats) and still be on a more nationally recognized program. I hope the kid stays, and there are definite positives for him at the U, but I don't have a good feeling either.

relax people

we have lost 1 recruit of significance. Lewis's offer was pulled and we will replace him with someone just as good or better, same goes for Price. Huff is our only real loss so far and their is still a long time to go for us to get last minute switches as well.

I officially hate TCU. I don't care if it happens everywhere. :mad:

I would have to disagree that we have only lost one recruit of significance. Loosing Kip Smith to UCLA hurt, to many times the kicking game is not thought of, until of course your kicking game is weak. Ellestad will be gone after next year, then who? Kickers as promising/tallented as Smith do not come around every year.

I would have to disagree that we have only lost one recruit of significance. Loosing Kip Smith to UCLA hurt, to many times the kicking game is not thought of, until of course your kicking game is weak. Ellestad will be gone after next year, then who? Kickers as promising/tallented as Smith do not come around every year.

I thought the biggest gains we made from last year to this year was in our Special Teams. The consistency in our field goal unit was great.

Huff verbaled to Oregon, then Minnesota and now decides on the Flavor-Of-The-Day TCU. HS kids who regurgitate verbals like the stomach flu are a red flag. So what changed with Brewsters contract in the 6 weeks of so he was a "Gopher"! Nothing. TCU coaches must have filled in the blanks for him and also promised they would be around for another 5 years. Yeah right. Good luck to him as I have the feeling he may need it down the road.

we have lost 1 recruit of significance. Lewis's offer was pulled and we will replace him with someone just as good or better, same goes for Price. Huff is our only real loss so far and their is still a long time to go for us to get last minute switches as well.

IALTO

I hear the voice of Ray Christensen saying 'This is...Golden Gopher Football.'

I'm not sure where that rumor came from. But the point is valid, we can fill that spot maybe with an upgrade even. Huff is the only one that hurts so far.

Huff verbaled to Oregon, then Minnesota and now decides on the Flavor-Of-The-Day TCU. HS kids who regurgitate verbals like the stomach flu are a red flag. So what changed with Brewsters contract in the 6 weeks of so he was a "Gopher"! Nothing. TCU coaches must have filled in the blanks for him and also promised they would be around for another 5 years. Yeah right. Good luck to him as I have the feeling he may need it down the road.

actually, i think it went something like this: soft verballed to oregon, then verballed to utah, then verballed to minnesota, then officially visited oregon, and now has verballed to tcu.

quite a winding road that kid took. based on what looks like this kid's complete lack of a sense of obligation to anyone/anywhere, i agree with your "red flag" comment about recruits who regurgitate verbals. it is a dishonest and disturbing game that more and more kids are starting to play with more and more schools.

I like the way Iowa demands that once a recruit verbals, he ends his visits and recruitment. It takes balls to do it that way, but Ferentz has proved that if they are up front with a recruit when he verbals, it works to Iowa's advantage. I think it makes the verbal mean more to the recruit as well.

actually, i think it went something like this: soft verballed to oregon, then verballed to utah, then verballed to minnesota, then officially visited oregon, and now has verballed to tcu.

quite a winding road that kid took. based on what looks like this kid's complete lack of a sense of obligation to anyone/anywhere, i agree with your "red flag" comment about recruits who regurgitate verbals. it is a dishonest and disturbing game that more and more kids are starting to play with more and more schools.

Bronko! good to see ya back bud.

I like the way Iowa demands that once a recruit verbals, he ends his visits and recruitment. It takes balls to do it that way, but Ferentz has proved that if they are up front with a recruit when he verbals, it works to Iowa's advantage. I think it makes the verbal mean more to the recruit as well.

agree 100% on such an approach.

the shady practice of "shopping/leveraging" verbals that many recruits and their parents are using more and more in college sports these days is very unfortunate, dishonest and overall just a bad trend for college athletics.

would be completely in favor of an NCAA rule that once a kid decides to publicly annouce a verbal that he/she he is no longer allowed to continue taking official (i.e. paid for by the school) visits. if they want to continue making visits to other schools on their parent's or their own dime after they have verballed to a school that is fine. it would put some degree of responsibility and an actual sense of what an obligation means back into the minds of these kids and their parents.

BNG, good idea. If they want to visit other schools then don't commit. A pretty simple concept. The other upside is that it would get the visits going earlier since a kid couldn't lock up a spot early and feel he has the rest of the year to find a better choice.

Gophers are loading up with 3 star prospects! That's the best way to turnaround a program, bring in mediocre recruits

Top Bottom