Tampering has arrived in college football, and it looks like NBA free agency - ESPN

Saw a tweet about this. A reporter was stating that mid-major schools are refusing to sign contracts to play "guarantee" games against high-major schools (not sure if this was hoops or FB) because the mid-majors did not want to give the high-major schools a free chance to scout their players and possibly target them for future transfers.

In short, the greater freedom for players to transfer is making schools paranoid.
You don’t need a guarantee game for this just a free Tuesday night in November at a Courtyard Marriott that gets ESPN2

What I would like to see is a stop to allowing the coaches to move, as opposed to letting the players move too. For example, a coach can't coach at an NCAA school if he's already under contract at another one. So if your coach just signed a 10 year extension, that's it, he is no longer eligible to coach at any other NCAA school for the next 10 years. He can sit out, he can go to the NFL, but he can't move to another school until that contract expires. And no, we don't let schools "update" the contract to all of a sudden reduce the # of years so he can leave.
That implies that said coach could not be fired until his ten years were done.
In any event that idea is very unrealistic.

What you are talking about is the entire purpose of the transfer portal and the one time free transfer. As long as a player is in the portal they should be fair game. But teams shouldn't be actively recruiting players that are not in the portal. In that way the players and coaches are different.
Why should they not be actively letting player know if they want to transfer there is a place for you with us?
How else could a player who might want out know there is a better position waiting for him?

Why should they not be actively letting player know if they want to transfer there is a place for you with us?
How else could a player who might want out know there is a better position waiting for him?
Not sure if you are just playing dumb or if you really don't get it.....but teams should not be actively recruiting players off of another teams roster.

Obviously stuff happens behind the scenes but it is pretty crappy to try and recruit a player that isn't in the portal.

That is the entire purpose of the portal in the first place. Players that want to look around can enter the portal and then teams have the right to contact them. That is how it should work, even if we all know there are going to be teams trying to poach players before they get into the portal which is pretty shady.

Teams 1000% should be discouraged from recruiting players not in the portal and on another teams roster. And if they get busted doing this the punishment should be severe. Most will never get caught of course.

Not sure if you are just playing dumb or if you really don't get it.....but teams should not be actively recruiting players off of another teams roster.

Obviously stuff happens behind the scenes but it is pretty crappy to try and recruit a player that isn't in the portal.

That is the entire purpose of the portal in the first place. Players that want to look around can enter the portal and then teams have the right to contact them. That is how it should work, even if we all know there are going to be teams trying to poach players before they get into the portal which is pretty shady.

Teams 1000% should be discouraged from recruiting players not in the portal and on another teams roster. And if they get busted doing this the punishment should be severe. Most will never get caught of course.
A rule or law that cannot be enforced is not a rule or a law.
It is only an opinion.
"Tampering" is in that category.

It is only an opinion.
Well, you could *reward* the whistleblowers. Like, tell the athletes, "if you're not in the portal and you get contacted by another team, tell us and we'll give you some money" just like the police do when they need tips to come in to solve crimes.

It is only an opinion.
So you would have no issue with a team directly contacting a player on another team and telling them to transfer?

The rule can be enforced which is why teams don't make the contact directly but use "runners" and other third parties to do it on their behalf. It is shady as hell but would be naive to think it hasn't been happening for a while in college athletics.

It's like the old "gentlemen's agreement" that used to exist in the B1G where, once a player committed to a school, the other schools in the conference would stop trying to recruit that player.

then, that agreement went by the wayside, and these days, teams are constantly going after other team's recruits and trying to flip them.

it's a relatively small step from that to going after players on another team's active roster.

it's a dog-eat-dog world, and teams will try to stretch the rules as far as they can.

the real question is how do you prove tampering, and what penalties should be imposed if teams get "caught?"

Well, you could *reward* the whistleblowers. Like, tell the athletes, "if you're not in the portal and you get contacted by another team, tell us and we'll give you some money" just like the police do when they need tips to come in to solve crimes.
I hope that comment was meant as a joke.

So you would have no issue with a team directly contacting a player on another team and telling them to transfer?

The rule can be enforced which is why teams don't make the contact directly but use "runners" and other third parties to do it on their behalf. It is shady as hell but would be naive to think it hasn't been happening for a while in college athletics.
The answer to your question is no, i would have no issue.
This is what "head hunters" do every day in the business world and happens in academics also.

I hope that comment was meant as a joke.
No it wasn't. What's wrong with it? If I was a politician and someone tried to persuade me to do something, I could report them. If I was on a jury and someone tried to influence my decision making, I could report them. Why wouldn't it work like this?

I hope your reply was meant as a joke.

This is what "head hunters" do every day in the business world and happens in academics also.
And it's not allowed in the NFL except for like 2 days before free agency.

It's like the old "gentlemen's agreement" that used to exist in the B1G where, once a player committed to a school, the other schools in the conference would stop trying to recruit that player.

then, that agreement went by the wayside, and these days, teams are constantly going after other team's recruits and trying to flip them.

it's a relatively small step from that to going after players on another team's active roster.

it's a dog-eat-dog world, and teams will try to stretch the rules as far as they can.

the real question is how do you prove tampering, and what penalties should be imposed if teams get "caught?"
IIRC, wasn't it Urban Meyer who stopped that? I thought he flipped some Wisconsin Olineman late in the game when he was first at tOSU. Then he commented how poorly the B1G recruits compared to the SEC?

I would think it would be, but it would also be nearly impossible to catch and I am sure happens quite frequently.

I am sure this stuff goes on behind the scenes all the time, it is just when teams get sloppy that they get busted for it.
From the article linked in the original post:

NCAA rules allow for players on opposing teams to talk to one another about transferring, so long as it's not done at the direction of a coach. But an ACC assistant said that's exactly what's happening "in most cases," because proving who orchestrated the conversation is difficult.

Just a thought ... What if a school could offer a player a "no cut" scholarship for their remaining eligibility (4 or 3 or 2 or 1 year) in exchange for a "non compete" agreement with the same term? The "non-compete" could be at the conference level or the division level. Then both the team and the player have some leverage.

Not shocking to find myself on opposite sides of an issue from you. Allowing teams to openly contact players on other teams in an effort to get them to leave their current team would be an absolute disaster. There is a reason why no league allows it to happen.

An absolute huge can of worms, snakes or whatever. With the more loose rules now, this problem is going to compound "gigantic" time.

It seems to me that some people who are writing on this topic seem to fear, that despite a cult like following of the HC and new facilities, fear that other programs are more attractive so competition for players has to be constrained.

It seems to me that some people who are writing on this topic seem to fear, that despite a cult like following of the HC and new facilities, fear that other programs are more attractive so competition for players has to be constrained.
Good lord you are pathetic sometimes. This has nothing to do with being afraid teams are going to steal players from Fleck. Your take that teams should be able to openly recruit players off of other teams rosters is horrible. There is a reason that EVERY sport bans doing that.

I get that you don't care since your only goal is to troll this board every chance you get but read the room man....you are the only person that seems to think just opening up 24/7 recruiting of players from the time they are in high school till the end of their playing days is a good idea.

Good lord you are pathetic sometimes. This has nothing to do with being afraid teams are going to steal players from Fleck. Your take that teams should be able to openly recruit players off of other teams rosters is horrible. There is a reason that EVERY sport bans doing that.

I get that you don't care since your only goal is to troll this board every chance you get but read the room man....you are the only person that seems to think just opening up 24/7 recruiting of players from the time they are in high school till the end of their playing days is a good idea.
I am glad you added the modifier "sometimes" or my feelings would have been hurt.

I think the solution, not only to this, but to the problem of the top 3-4 teams getting most of the NFL talent, would be to ban people from transferring from one P5 team to another P5/G5.

In this case, what non-G5, non-P5 team has enough clout to try and poach P5 players? And in the case of recruiting, would two 4/5* QBs both sign with tOSU knowing that if they are the player that doesn't win the job, their only transfer option is outside P5/G5? I think you wouldn't see so much top talent being so tightly condensed. Right now you can sign with tOSU and try and compete with all the other talent, and the worst case is if you get beat out you can pretty much pick any school you want to transfer to.
Or pay players and have a salary cap like the NFL

Top Bottom