Talk about fair weather fans

gopherphan

Reaction score
One less than ten point loss to an unranked opponent who is obviously much better than advertised (by our own admission after UCLA)..and everyone is crucifying the team saying the year is lost! woe is us!

This team is so solid and deep it can hardly do anything but win. it's much better than the NCAA team last year already.

just a hiccup.

get over it and root for your team you crybabies

^^^ This. What the heck is going on? We sound like the Butler board from last night that we were making fun of!!! Pull yourselves together! There's people in other threads thinking were only an NIT team just because we played one bad game against an underrated opponent?! Really...?

I agree with that statement. We make threads that hate on boards going into full meltdown then we get these clowns who blow up our boards with all this end of the world BS and make us look like a bunch of morons. Would be fine if TT wasn't such an emo, whiny, middle school b**ch.

The reactionary irrationality of some on this board is a sight to see. In some ways its entertaining and in others, it's just plain ridiculous.

AGREED.

I agree.

This team will be fine. I think Portland will prove to NOT be a bad loss come next March.

It will be interesting to see how Portland fares against WV.

I'll be pulling for Portland.

ulmer

Had we made a few free throws last night we`d be sitting pretty. One of the rants this morning was about the poor recruiting of Monson`s group Nolan and Hoff, Really? They`ve played hard, period. If they could pass on a little enthusiasm to Sampson (I`m just saying) Other than that a 5 point loss at this time is not only not a problem but a needed slap. I`m guessing Sun. we`ll see a different team.

gopherphan-for bringing that up...i think you can join the club of fair weather fans.

The basketball team needs to start playing as a team. Your teammates are not the enemy. Nolan needs to start passing to the open player, (on our side), then perhaps our players aren't yelling at each other going into half time. Another Kodak moment was when one of our guards was yelling at a forward for not passing the ball to him, as the forward was about to shoot free throws. The unnamed forward missed both free throws. Quit the bickering and play the game like it is supposed to be played.

I thought the team played better against Butler, when Nolan was benched after the technical. It also seems to me that the second team out plays the first team often. Perhaps the second teams point guard should be with the first team to make our starting offense run better.

Tubby needs to address the issue of the ego problems on this team. If some of the players don't want to play as a team sit them down for awhile so they can see what playing as a team looks like.

I started to wish after reading the Football Forum for a while this season that GopherHole had another yet another Forum for GHers. You could call it the Rational Discussion Forum. Basically, I envisioned a cyberspace Utopia where people could discuss games and the season without overreacting to losses, without getting nasty about college players, and without getting into pissing matches with each other. I thought of having a minimum age requirement for this forum but I'm not sure what it should be.

I can see the need for the Rational Discussion Forum is probably greater than ever with the loss last night. Yes, we had a poor game that revealed weaknesses on this team. Some of these weaknesses will be fixed; others will reappear whenever we have another poor shooting game. If you keep diving off the ledge when it happens, it's not good for you and it really ruins GopherHole for a lot of people. However, Portland State is a pretty good team. Tubby still knows more about basketball than any of us. Really, he does. It's not the end of the season just because we lost. The Big Ten, as a whole, didn't fare that well yesterday so we're not the only ones.

So please, I hope nobody starts a thread wondering if we could replace Tubby with John Wooden because you think he'd be interested since he once applied for the Gophers job.

The basketball team needs to start playing as a team. Your teammates are not the enemy. Nolan needs to start passing to the open player, (on our side), then perhaps our players aren't yelling at each other going into half time. Another Kodak moment was when one of our guards was yelling at a forward for not passing the ball to him, as the forward was about to shoot free throws. The unnamed forward missed both free throws. Quit the bickering and play the game like it is supposed to be played.

I thought the team played better against Butler, when Nolan was benched after the technical. It also seems to me that the second team out plays the first team often. Perhaps the second teams point guard should be with the first team to make our starting offense run better.

Tubby needs to address the issue of the ego problems on this team. If some of the players don't want to play as a team sit them down for awhile so they can see what playing as a team looks like.
Yikes, this is taking an ugly turn. I'm going to re-post part of what I must have been writing on another thread while you were posting this.

With about 9:15 left in the game, Al is dribbling ... dribbling ...dribbling ... at the top of the arc. Devoe is wide open (REALLY wide open) on the wing and Al looks at him once ... twice ... and passes the ball the other direction to a covered Westbrook. There is NO doubt that if Al had made a very simple pass to Devoe that Devoe would have had a great look. My question is, did Nolan not pass the ball to Devoe because he had lost trust in his teammate, or because he was freezing Devoe out?

The possession ended with the ball getting knocked out of bounds with 3-seconds on the time clock and getting a decent, but rushed shot as the time-clock ran out.

"The basketball team needs to start playing as a team. Your teammates are not the enemy."

Obviously very true. Should also beg the question "why?" Not saying I'm right or that it's the entire answer, but worth considering: We're deep enough with players who know they have talent that they're beginning to individually think there is not enough game time. When they do hit the court, it's time to show that talent, not worry about the other guys.

I have to agree with the original point.

Watching this team grow and become something more unified and cohesive(the Butler game) is really a pleasure. With that, you have to take the mistakes and the struggles.

I said in another post...

This is a team being built from the ground up by a Hall of Fame coach. Each year they've improved . This year looks no different. NO, they didn't magically become the Big Ten favorites, or a lock to to go to the Final Four. It seems their offense is still trying to find itself. (The pick and roll stuff and some of the flow during the Butler game is nice to see). Watching young players grow through adversity, making mistakes, coming together as a team, this is fun to watch. I think so anyway.

Soooo, question for you.

Either this team is more enjoyable (remember how sports are supposed to be fun?) to watch now or four years ago....Which side are YOU on?

Or... either you enjoy being happy when they do well or you enjoy being angry when the do poorly... I think you get the idea....

Applies here too.

I guess hoping that Our center doesn't shoot a dumb ass 3 or that hoff or rodney don't take ill advised threes late in games is bad, then yes we are bad, but a rational person will look at those as mistakes that cost us a game that was given to us.

The reactionary irrationality of some on this board is a sight to see. In some ways its entertaining and in others, it's just plain ridiculous.

I think the over reaction of some people stems from expectation for this team being much to high. Some people simply are not going to be able to comprehend any loss by this team. Since the suspensions the team lacks rebounding ability. Add to that the fact that this is not a great shooting team and they are going to lose some games. To many people believed they would breeze into the sweet sixteen.

I am grateful that they are still playing fine defense inspite of not dominating the boards. This gives them a chance to win any game they play.

I am fine with the Portland loss. They are an extremely good team and I am aware that they destroyed UCLA by 30 points the night before. I am a little perplexed by the heavy, heavy reliance on Al Nolen and almost zero minutes for Rodney Williams.

Top Bottom