talent next year?

lefty68

Reaction score
so we can write off this season....can someone update me please about redshirts, transfers, analysis of returning players for next season, with or without brewster, is there any hope for improvement, how many good players will we lose to graduation.... it looks like even if gray is qb, he will be a junior without many snaps under his belt which could be brutal in the big ten, any other qb in the mix?

We lose a majority of our starting OL, starting QB, and at least one S (Theret). Not sure if Royston would be able to get a medical RS. We'll likely only have 3 SR, I think, on our starting D next year (depends on Royston).

We lose a majority of our starting OL, starting QB, and at least one S (Theret). Not sure if Royston would be able to get a medical RS. We'll likely only have 3 SR, I think, on our starting D next year (depends on Royston).

Royston doesn't affect next year's plans, because he's done this year either way.

Next season

The cupboard is stacked next year, plain and simple.

The Gophers will be returning at least 11 players on defense that either are starting or have started games. Beal will be in the mix at LB as well.

Offense will be largely in tact as well. Wills is leaving at RT but Michel was alleged pushing him anyway. Carufel leaving as well, Alford, et al. Overall, OL is a pretty good position of depth from everything I've heard.

Whoever the coach is, Brewster or the next guy, will look like a miracle worker because they just plain don't lose much across the board. A case could be made for Weber but too many people are convinced Gray is better so why bother arguing that. I think they'll miss Weber but we'll see.

Anyway, hard not to get excited about next year. The defense should go from the primary weakness to very strong. I think the offense will be okay, with the offensive line getting more mobile and agile.

Royston doesn't affect next year's plans, because he's done this year either way.

I'm assuming that because this is his 5th year (sat out one year after transfer) that it has to be his last, unless he can't play and gets a waiver from the NCAA which is highly unlikely?

The only reason why I know a little bit about this was looking it up last year for the Rallis situation. It does happen that a player can be granted a sixth yr. (a normal RS and a medical RS), but the criteria are a little more complicated when you are seeking that 6th year rather than in a Rallis type situation like last year.

I don't believe Royston would qualify for that 6th season because that usually occurs when say a player gets hurt at the begining of his RS-Jr season, and is forced to essentially miss over a year (so two full seasons). I believe the injury has to essentially cancel out two seasons to obtain a medical RS and a 6th season. I could definitely be wrong on that though.

I do know that there are 6th year SRs in college athletics due to medical RS.

Both Kim's Dad and Brewster have already stated there will be no 6th year for Kim.

The OL may be more talented but if this year has taught us anything, experience trumps talent. We'll be in for another learning curve experience there.

We'll lose some experience but we actually will have quite a bit of experience returning as well. Bunders, Wynn, and Orton all have a lot of starts and Ed Olson's been getting some starts this season. I do expect there to be a learning curve, but I think it will be more drastic this season.

Additionally, in a power run type of offense the tight ends are essentially O lineman for much of the game/play book. Considering this, next year we also return Lair and Eure and I believe Hughs and McGarry will be done after this year. The way I see it next year we return three starters (Olson, Bunders, Lair) and need to replace three (Burris, Carufel, Wills) on the O line. Replacing three next year is very doable considering the playing time Wynn and Orton have had in the past and the depth of the young players comming up the system. There will be a learning curve but I don't expect a big fall off in O line play, they might even gell together and become a better O line.

The recruiting class for next year is looking pretty decent too, especially heavy in offensive linemen and linebackers, both of which we can always use. And we've also got a verbal commit from QB Max Shortell out of Kansas, who looks to be a pretty intriguing prospect.

And we're still being considered by a number of recruits, probably the best of those being RB Darrian Miller out of Blue Springs, MO, and LB Armonze Daniel, out of Avon, Indiana.

It looks like a pretty respectable class so far, and if we can reel in some of these uncommitted fellas, then it could become quite good, especially under the circumstances of how poor a season we're having.

We've got OG Tommy Olson from Mahtomedi coming in next fall too, and he may just be our best recruit. As of right now, he's ranked the 14th best OG in the country.

The Gophers will be returning at least 11 players on defense that either are starting or have started games. Beal will be in the mix at LB as well.

Offense will be largely in tact as well. Wills is leaving at RT but Michel was alleged pushing him anyway. Carufel leaving as well, Alford, et al. Overall, OL is a pretty good position of depth from everything I've heard.

Whoever the coach is, Brewster or the next guy, will look like a miracle worker because they just plain don't lose much across the board. A case could be made for Weber but too many people are convinced Gray is better so why bother arguing that. I think they'll miss Weber but we'll see.

Anyway, hard not to get excited about next year. The defense should go from the primary weakness to very strong. I think the offense will be okay, with the offensive line getting more mobile and agile.

You say the cupboard is stacked for next season, but the only name you mention is Beal. I don't know quite as much about the football team as I do the basketball team, so you'll have to forgive me for asking who some of the new impact players will be for next season. i know this years team is young, but i'm not sure they are all that talented as a whole.

The newcomers are always important but not nearly as much as having a solid corp of experienced and well season veterans.

One thing that is often overlooked this Fall is the lack of Senior players left over from the 2006 recruits. The only ones around are Alford, Buckner, Burris, Ellestad and Weber. Pretty sad. Campbell is gone. We added Carufel, Royston& Wills but its a very weak and thin Senior group.

Thanks Mason.

Your attitude is impressive. Looks like a 9-3 year based on this.

I'm assuming that because this is his 5th year (sat out one year after transfer) that it has to be his last, unless he can't play and gets a waiver from the NCAA which is highly unlikely?

It doesn't sound like he plans on returning in any case but a medical red shirt and playing in his sixth year is definately a possibility. Adam Boone did it in basketball.

I am hoping that the new coach can evaluate talent and then put the talent in a situation in which they aren't starting all from scratch the way brewster did it. I hope the new coach can hold his coordinators together for more than one season. Six coordinators in three years is the most absurd thing I have ever seen. Thanks a lot brewster. No more 0-8 Big Ten seasons again...EVER. Thank you once again brewster.

6-19 in Big Ten play headed into Madison is NO way to coach a Big Ten Football Program. For heaven's sake, win a border battle brewster for once! Someone in the athletic department or at some level of the administration needs to end this. Stop the bleeding now!

I really do hope the new coach knows where he wants to get with his style of football and knows how to bring the existing players along the learning curve toward playing that style without totally confusing everyone. The offense in the first year may need to be a "hybred-offense" that combines the talent that exists and directs that talent in the direction of the desired system while retaining some of the characteristics of the system they played prior to the arrival of the new coach. The coach will need to be skilled enough and experienced enough to direct and coach them. That will allow for some WINS in year number one. There are NO "throw away seasons..." In the college game, every year is the final year for 20% to 25% of the returning players on the team. HONOR those players who are there when you come to the U of M new coach. Don't "brewsterize" your first season.

I am hoping that the new coach can evaluate talent and then put the talent in a situation in which they aren't starting all from scratch the way brewster did it. I hope the new coach can hold his coordinators together for more than one season. Six coordinators in three years is the most absurd thing I have ever seen. Thanks a lot brewster. No more 0-8 Big Ten seasons again...EVER. Thank you once again brewster.

6-19 in Big Ten play headed into Madison is NO way to coach a Big Ten Football Program. For heaven's sake, win a border battle brewster for once! Someone in the athletic department or at some level of the administration needs to end this. Stop the bleeding now!

I really do hope the new coach knows where he wants to get with his style of football and knows how to bring the existing players along the learning curve toward playing that style without totally confusing everyone. The offense in the first year may need to be a "hybred-offense" that combines the talent that exists and directs that talent in the direction of the desired system while retaining some of the characteristics of the system they played prior to the arrival of the new coach. The coach will need to be skilled enough and experienced enough to direct and coach them. That will allow for some WINS in year number one. There are NO "throw away seasons..." In the college game, every year is the final year for 20% to 25% of the returning players on the team. HONOR those players who are there when you come to the U of M new coach. Don't "brewsterize" your first season.

This tangent was brought to you by Maalox.

And now, back to our originally scheduled post.

DO NOT COUNT ON ANY INCOMING FR. We should now have the depth where we do not have to play true Fr. You cannot win at this level playing Fr. or even many RS Fr. You need 3rd 4th and 5th yr. kids to compete in the BT.

Sounds like a good case for 'keeping Brewster'. Not saying you meant it that way.

Top Bottom