Tailgating without a "home" group

Mr. 131

Reaction score
Hey there elite!

I've been lurking for a long time and this is the season that finally got me to make an account! I've always really enjoyed reading posts on here, and I'm secretly hoping for a "full banana" set of unis someday in the future. If that doesn't tell you how much I lurk maybe nothing will. I've also gone deep down the rabbit hole of following Gophers football...

I'm a first time season ticket holder and am so glad I "popped" on making my purchase this year. Not in love with my seats but I do love the live-game experience and being around so many gopher fans! So far I've been lucky enough to attend all the home games without a conflict. I've got a few friends who tailgate and let me join with their long-standing groups, but for this upcoming home game I am without my regular friends... and this has me in a bit of a social anxiety quandy: how realistic is it to think that I can just show up to a tailgate lot and mingle?

I feel sorta obnoxious even posting about this because on paper I totally would tell someone to just go out there and bring good energy and people will be welcoming. However, I also know that we Minnesotans can be a bit insular in our friend groups - it's tough to break in and tougher when you feel awkward.
  • Are there any tailgate lots you would say are a bit more outgoing and welcoming? I've only been to Ski U Mah lot so far - it's a riot but I will admit I've only really mingled with people I know.
  • Without walking around with a case of beer, what would you recommend I carry on my person to offer to folks as a token of appreciation? Is this silly?
  • How much am I overthinking this crap? Have you ever just joined up in tailgate lots?
If you are rollin your eyes at this, believe me I get it - I get stuck in my own head and have been thinking about this all week!

You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. Bring beer and snacks. Cans preferred, broken glass is a bitch.

I am a former "always tailgater," but it has slowed since I moved to Arizona. I have a special place on my heart for Lot 37, where most of the "old-timers" gather, as well as many of the player's families. Lot 33 and Lot Maroon are way fun too.

Just mingle, be cordial, and have fun. I'll be there for Northwestern, so contact me before then.

You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. Bring beer and snacks. Cans preferred, broken glass is a bitch.

I am a former "always tailgater," but it has slowed since I moved to Arizona. I have a special place on my heart for Lot 37, where most of the "old-timers" gather, as well as many of the player's families. Lot 33 and Lot Maroon are way fun too.

Just mingle, be cordial, and have fun. I'll be there for Northwestern, so contact me before then.
Honestly the old-timers-lot feels like it would probably be pretty cool about welcoming folks - I've always loved old-guy Gopher heads that have kept true even in the down years. And I haven't been to lot 37 yet! Thanks man - I really appreciate you!!

Hey there elite!

I've been lurking for a long time and this is the season that finally got me to make an account! I've always really enjoyed reading posts on here, and I'm secretly hoping for a "full banana" set of unis someday in the future. If that doesn't tell you how much I lurk maybe nothing will. I've also gone deep down the rabbit hole of following Gophers football...

I'm a first time season ticket holder and am so glad I "popped" on making my purchase this year. Not in love with my seats but I do love the live-game experience and being around so many gopher fans! So far I've been lucky enough to attend all the home games without a conflict. I've got a few friends who tailgate and let me join with their long-standing groups, but for this upcoming home game I am without my regular friends... and this has me in a bit of a social anxiety quandy: how realistic is it to think that I can just show up to a tailgate lot and mingle?

I feel sorta obnoxious even posting about this because on paper I totally would tell someone to just go out there and bring good energy and people will be welcoming. However, I also know that we Minnesotans can be a bit insular in our friend groups - it's tough to break in and tougher when you feel awkward.
  • Are there any tailgate lots you would say are a bit more outgoing and welcoming? I've only been to Ski U Mah lot so far - it's a riot but I will admit I've only really mingled with people I know.
  • Without walking around with a case of beer, what would you recommend I carry on my person to offer to folks as a token of appreciation? Is this silly?
  • How much am I overthinking this crap? Have you ever just joined up in tailgate lots?
If you are rollin your eyes at this, believe me I get it - I get stuck in my own head and have been thinking about this all week!
Just carry a tailgate from 1962 pickup and you'll be fine.

Top Bottom