Tailgating Satelite

monk10

Golden Gopher
Reaction score
Has anyone set up a satellite, ala, the Gold Line Club.

I'm looking into a Christmas gift for my extended family, and I want to get a portable satellite, and a small tv to watch post game and other games while we tailgate.

Looking for some tips.

I bought this kit last year for DirecTV. Got the standard def dish, as the HD dish you need to aim at 3 satellites vs 1. (much easier to set-up quickly without expensive dish aiming equipment)

I am looking to upgrade from the small 19" TV to a 32" TV next year.

One thing to consider is power. You basically would have to run your car all the time if you didn't have a generator for the TV/receiver. I saw a couple of dead car batteries in Northstar lot this year. The generator is the expensive part, I have the Honda 2000EU, and it is amazing.

http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Order/Dishes/Tailgate-Satellite-Dish_kits.htm

Did you order it from that company or did you find something local? Did I read that correctly that it is around $90?

I'll have to loop through the family to see if anyone has a generator. The idea came b/c I have an Enclave that comes with some normal power outlets. But if the drain is that heavy on the car battery I might have to look into the generaator.

Don't plug it into your car

The outlets are a nice idea when you are driving to Grandma's and the kids want to plug in the DVD player. But a normal system will drain your battery in a heartbeat.

If you are serious about tailgating get the generator. And if you don't want everyone else in the parking lot to hate you, get a Honda generator. (The Honda is the quietest generator out there.)

You're going to drop a grand on the generator, but if you plan on tailgating for the next 10 years it will be worth it.

Top Bottom