Syracuse: Pregame Thread

Let's hope Max's film sessions this week have helped him enough to correct the mistakes. Coach Marrone must not have seen the same films.

However, Kill said Shortell will feel bad when he sees the video of the game.

"Max is a competitor," Kill said. "We had a couple more shots at the end zone if we had thrown the ball just a little bit longer or a little bit shorter.

per Sid:

Gophers confident

Rallis said Syracuse will give the Gophers their toughest game to date.

"They're a good team,'' Rallis said. ''They have a lot of good players out there, and we're going to have to play our best game. It's going to be a fun atmosphere under the lights," he said.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/170605046.html

Go Gophers!!

HUGE game this week for the defense. I don't see the Gophers winning very many shoot-outs this year, regardless of who is at QB. Defense needs to keep the Cuse under 30 (hopefully WELL under) for the Gophers to win this one. Linebacking corps especially needs to pick things up a little bit.

Great test for the defense in general to find out where they're at.

Let's hope Max's film sessions this week have helped him enough to correct the mistakes. Coach Marrone must not have seen the same films.

However, Kill said Shortell will feel bad when he sees the video of the game.

"Max is a competitor," Kill said. "We had a couple more shots at the end zone if we had thrown the ball just a little bit longer or a little bit shorter.
I remember at least one of the plays Kill was talking about, Max made a completion to the nearer receiver and got a nice gain, but the deep receiver was wide open with a clear path to the end zone.

ESPN: Friday Q&A: Minnesota's Mike Rallis

Minnesota has had some tough times in recent years. What's it like being around the program and being around campus with the team at 3-0?

Mike Rallis: It's an exciting atmosphere around the program, but we know we've got a long way to go still. We're just out here grinding every practice, trying to get better.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/59244/friday-qa-minnesotas-mike-rallis

Go Gophers!!

I am bringing the exact same group I brought to the MSU Haloween game in 2009. We'll do our best to park in the same spot, eat the same food, and drink the same beer.

Expect a Gopher win on an immaculate reception in the 4th quarter.

STrib: The Call

PREDICTION

Shortell throws a few highlight-reel completions to get the crowd energized, but Donnell Kirkwood and his fellow tailbacks steal the show by turning the Gophers into a ground powerhouse. The Orange moves the ball, too, mostly through the air, but mistakes make the difference in a shootout.

Gophers 37

Syracuse 28

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/170782006.html

Go Gophers!!

I really like Miller's take. Syracuse has some nice skill players but no one that's lights out incredible. Their oline and their defense are not good.

Syracuse definitely has some weaknesses particularly the right side of their offensive line. They are subject to giving up the run and have to resort to a special rush package on passing downs. I think we'll see a lot of rushing plays, with enough play action passing, to keep them honest.

Syracuse definitely has some weaknesses particularly the right side of their offensive line. They are subject to giving up the run and have to resort to a special rush package on passing downs. I think we'll see a lot of rushing plays, with enough play action passing, to keep them honest.

I searched and found the Syracuse 2 deep from the game against Northwestern. The Word is Pugh will not play again this week at the left tackle. But the key match up is Hageman vs. McPherson the starting center 6-2 and 269. Unless he plays with excellent leverage, or gets help with a double team quick pressure up the middle should be the answer. One additional note, Hageman is 6'6 and Ryan Nassib is 6-3. Throwing lanes could also be a factor. But dumping on his backside, bumping him, rushing him, hitting him is the answer. Whatever it takes, BEAT SYRACUSE!!!!!
Two Deep

https://twitter.com/WAERSPORTS/status/239441682473558016/photo/1/large

Here is the Syrcause Preview by the Syracuse Beat Writers.

[video]http://video-embed.syracuse.com/services/player/bcpid619299309001?bctid=1852237979001&bckey=AQ~~,AAAAPLpuTok~,Mq6Bf5KTh4A6F2p4EzuWqPyz4b OUvoKu[/video]

Rittenberg answers a Gophers question about weather:

Ryan from St. Paul, Minn., writes: Hey Adam, So I see you and your cohort have both selected Syracuse over Minnesota this week at TCF Bank. While I agree it will be a good contested game, I'm going to disagree with your score prediction. Weather forecast says it may rain Sat night in the Twin Cities and with a full house on hand under the lights I think Minnesota's defensive pressure gets to Nassib in less than ideal passing conditions. Do you want to change your prediction perhaps? I like Goldy this week in a grinder, 31-21.

Adam Rittenberg: Good call on the weather, Ryan, as rain certainly would favor Minnesota. Syracuse has the better quarterback in Ryan Nassib and a passing game that will really test the Gophers' secondary, but if it's windy and rainy at TCF Bank Stadium, he'll be affected. This one could go either way, and for the Big Ten's sake, it'd be great if both of us were wrong on our predictions. But I think Syracuse is a big step up for Minnesota, which will miss MarQueis Gray a bit. While the defense has been good, Nassib is by far the best quarterback the Gophers have faced (Western Michigan's Alex Carder seems to have regressed).

Herbstreet and Corso pick Minnesota !!!

holy hannah they even had our game as part of the predictions segment on College Gameday.

First ever selection as a slate game in 17 years of the show.

Ricky takes 'Cuse.

Lee Corso takes the Gophers and so does Herby, noting Northwestern and us are (semi-sarcastically) currently the class of the B1G.

So, anyone want to jump on over and check those 'cuse fans?

I already did...full melt down mode. They went from calling us a terrible team in the pregame to claiming bad refs during the game to horrible coaches and no talent on the team in the 4th quarter to Syracuse is so bad they'll win 1 more game this year and probably only 1 game next year in the ACC. That is assuming of course they play Duke! The number of calls for the head of Doug Marone is impressive. Full melt down.

I already did...full melt down mode. They went from calling us a terrible team in the pregame to claiming bad refs during the game to horrible coaches and no talent on the team in the 4th quarter to Syracuse is so bad they'll win 1 more game this year and probably only 1 game next year in the ACC. That is assuming of course they play Duke! The number of calls for the head of Doug Marone is impressive. Full melt down.

This makes me smile.

Sound just like GopherHolers! I wonder if they have as many experts as we do here?

Sound just like GopherHolers! I wonder if they have as many experts as we do here?

You could swap the names and it would sound just like a Gopherhole meltdown.

One thing I found irritating is referring to Minnesota as "Minny.

Top Bottom