Swinney ESPN article

Ski-U-Ham

Reaction score

Dabo talks briefly about the portal:

"My transfer portal is right there in that locker room because if I'm constantly going out every year and adding guys from the transfer portal, I'm telling all those guys in that locker room that I don't believe in them, that I don't think they can play," Swinney said. "We're also not doing our job as coaches and recruiters if we're bringing in a bunch of transfers."

I guess that's easy to say when you've more or less got the choice of guys you want to recruit. Don't think this is how most of the college football programs see it though.

Dabo talks briefly about the portal:

"My transfer portal is right there in that locker room because if I'm constantly going out every year and adding guys from the transfer portal, I'm telling all those guys in that locker room that I don't believe in them, that I don't think they can play," Swinney said. "We're also not doing our job as coaches and recruiters if we're bringing in a bunch of transfers."

I guess that's easy to say when you've more or less got the choice of guys you want to recruit. Don't think this is how most of the college football programs see it though.
Yup. If Clemson were to be bringing in a bunch of transfers, I suppose that's true.

Last edited:

He’s definitely not a fan of the portal. On one hand it does suck not keeping players that contribute, on the other hand you can’t fault a player for wanting a chance to shine. I just don’t like the potential for tampering of guys on scholarship to get solicited to leave by other coaches/boosters/NIL. I think it will even out though because what was it only about 1/3 found other scholarships? (Maybe a half? Either way it would suck to give up a sure thing to take a 50% chance at keeping a scholarship)

There are very few players that are worthy of transferring to Clemson via the portal, so mostly Dabo sees only players leaving for other playing opportunities. If I was Dabo I probably wouldn't be a big fan of the portal either. It certainly makes a coaches job tougher but in the end, the portal is a great opportunity for coaches to help their team and also makes them accountable for running a program that kids want to be a part of.

Top Bottom