Surprised it isn't more positive in here

EG#9

Reaction score
I thought I would jump on the site and see a lot of posts really happy with the Gophers today. The running game was improved and the Dline did a great job keeping Kafka in the pocket and shutting down any running game.

The 3rd down defense was atrocious as we gave such large cushions that 3rd down completions were uncontested.

Adam Weber- maybe I am being too harsh on the kid, but his field awareness seems to not be improving (and possibly even going backwards). On a few of those play action passes in the second half, Weber had an eternity to find an open receiver and threw in to coverage. It sure appears like Green and Stoudermire have talent...it's hard to believe they are never open.

I thought the strangest call of the day was not Brewster declining the holding penalty (My theory is that he believed they would spot the ball more favorably for the Gophers than they did), but the decision to throw the fade on the last drive. We were under a minute to play and Northwestern had used all their timeouts. A run up the middle could have resulted in a TD and, if not, the ensuing FG would have been kicked with little time remaining.

Can't say enough good things about Decker, Tow-Arnett, and Eric Small today.

How great was it to see a Gopher defense make plays at the end of a game for once?

I can see why many Nebraska fans ranted against Cosgrove's defense against the spread. We got very good Dlline play, but the rest of the defense appeared to play very passively.

I was disappointed to see that Cal got trounced by an Oregon team that looked absolutely pathetic against Boise State. The Cal loss coupled with the improved play of Wisconsin today has me less confident about the Gophers going in to the battle for the axe.

We will need the run game to produce at a similar level, the pass defense to improve significantly, and a big play out of someone not named Decker or Tow-Arnett to win.

I honestly think most Gopher fans are thrilled today, i know I am. People don't post as much when they feel good. This is where people come to vent more than celebrate.

I honestly think most Gopher fans are thrilled today, i know I am. People don't post as much when they feel good. This is where people come to vent more than celebrate.

Exactly! It's just like articles about the Gophs, as was pointed out this week. One negative word and people go nuts, but the majority of the stuff that is positive, gets overlooked.

I also think the board may be a little more negative, because until the last few minutes of the game, many were thinking we'd lose the game, and those posts are obviously still up and getting bumped up.

Lots of posts are not, I'd rather have a dead board, and lots of W's. Here's to being 1-0 in the Big 10! :)

There is probably a couple of things holding back gopher fans today. NU lost to a bad Syracuse team last week, which makes this win a little less sweet as NU's defense is awful and they will probably only win a couple of B10 games. Plus, Cal got smoked today against an unranked Oregon team. I am happy with the Big Ten win on the road, but the game with Wisconsin next week will give everyone a good barometer on where the gophers stack in the Big Ten hierarchy.

3-1 and 1-0

Starting with a road win is awesome!! Now we have to avenge that tough Badger loss from last year. Go get em boys!

i'm a happy Gopher fan today! I didn't get to see much of the game, just the last two minutes. I'll have to watch it on tape - I don't think I will be able to stay up for the 1am replay. I listened to the game on the radio as much as I could. I took my daughter to the zoo today, kids do cut into my other priorities. :)

In most seasons we're lucky to have four quality football games to watch. This year we're four for four in the good game column. I taped the game and watched it when my daughter went to bed and am still trying to calm down. The good news is we won and a lot of people think we could have played better, but Northwestern kept hanging in there. Brewster has instilled so much more confidence in finishing games then under Mason. I expected to crumble under Mason, I always expect to make a late run with Brewster. We were losing in each of our three winning games, but came back to win. That's huge.

I thought today was a gimme game. isn't that what all the local media were saying. what's to celebrate. we should have crushed them. It's all just a yawn waiting for the next gimme coming in next saturday. I wish Maturi would quit scheduling this cupcake schedule.

I picked us to lose 26-30 so shame on me. I felt all along it would be a high scoring game as NU's offense, when executed, is a scary thing. We were able to run the ball which was major in a huge TOP difference in our favor and put together two nice drives in the second half.

The team has weakness's that we need to work around and with. DB run support is weak which I did not expect this season and CG has them playing soft. But I see signs of emerging talent after watching Gray, Allen, Kirksey, Cooper make big plays and the mighty mite Whaley's gutsy running.

What I am most impressed with is the never give up attitude of our players and Coach Brewster has them believing in themselves.

I thought I would jump on the site and see a lot of posts really happy with the Gophers today. The running game was improved and the Dline did a great job keeping Kafka in the pocket and shutting down any running game.

The 3rd down defense was atrocious as we gave such large cushions that 3rd down completions were uncontested.

Adam Weber- maybe I am being too harsh on the kid, but his field awareness seems to not be improving (and possibly even going backwards). On a few of those play action passes in the second half, Weber had an eternity to find an open receiver and threw in to coverage. It sure appears like Green and Stoudermire have talent...it's hard to believe they are never open.

I thought the strangest call of the day was not Brewster declining the holding penalty (My theory is that he believed they would spot the ball more favorably for the Gophers than they did), but the decision to throw the fade on the last drive. We were under a minute to play and Northwestern had used all their timeouts. A run up the middle could have resulted in a TD and, if not, the ensuing FG would have been kicked with little time remaining.

Can't say enough good things about Decker, Tow-Arnett, and Eric Small today.

How great was it to see a Gopher defense make plays at the end of a game for once?

I can see why many Nebraska fans ranted against Cosgrove's defense against the spread. We got very good Dlline play, but the rest of the defense appeared to play very passively.

I was disappointed to see that Cal got trounced by an Oregon team that looked absolutely pathetic against Boise State. The Cal loss coupled with the improved play of Wisconsin today has me less confident about the Gophers going in to the battle for the axe.

We will need the run game to produce at a similar level, the pass defense to improve significantly, and a big play out of someone not named Decker or Tow-Arnett to win.

You post complaining that things aren't more positive in here and then rant on Weber, 3rd down defense, and Brewster's decline.... look in the mirror pal!

I'm a bit of a mix right now.

On the one hand, we're 3-1 and that's great. On the other hand, Northwestern sucks this year. I think they will end up as the worst team in the B10. I'm actually more impressed with the Air Force win than this one. The Cal blowout stings a little, but Cal is still a top 20 team this year and anyone that says otherwise is being way too myopic.

So, we've beaten the teams we should, and we haven't beaten the team that was better than us. We're were we should be, which is great, but Iowa/Wisconsin are looking pretty tough, and OSU/PSU are always going to be tough. Nothing has really changed, except now maybe MSU and Illinois look a lot more beatable.

7-5 is still my prediction. Not much changed.

i'm a happy Gopher fan today! I didn't get to see much of the game, just the last two minutes. I'll have to watch it on tape - I don't think I will be able to stay up for the 1am replay. I listened to the game on the radio as much as I could. I took my daughter to the zoo today, kids do cut into my other priorities. :)

Apparently you watching the games on TV is very good luck; how about you watch the whole game next time so we can win 125-0? Thanks.

What?

It was a very slow Northwestern team with a new QB and RBs, a squeeker win vs a MAC team and a win vs something called Towson. Get back to me when we whup fat badjerk ass on Sat.

Umm. The qb was the starter last year, we haven't played a mac team and I don't recall ever playing Towson.

Umm. The qb was the starter last year, we haven't played a mac team and I don't recall ever playing Towson.

Was he referring to the Badgers? Did he mean Fresno State instead of Northwestern? My head exploded when I read that post. :confused:

It's all a matter of perception...

What we did was win a Big1T1en road game, coming from behind in the 4th quarter.

First Downs, 23-22 NW
3rd Down %, .571-.529 MN (yes, we were better on third down! NW had 4 of their 9 conversions on their first drive)
Yards per play, 5.2-4.9 MN
Yards per rush, 4.0-2.2 MN
Yards per pass attempt, 7.2-6.6 MN
Yards per pass completion, 12.4-9.6 MN
Turnovers, 3-1 NW

We played a much better game than NW, and we won. It is a the mass perception of impending doom that gets us every time. Minnesota's defense played much better than it feels like at the time. Feel good!!! WE WON.

Top Bottom