Surly

Pewterschmidt

Reaction score
Anyone know of the Surly atmosphere pregame? Did they install TV projectors for like I heard they would for gamedays? Is it busy? Too busy? My group is considering heading to Surly for the pregame Saturday.

Anyone know of the Surly atmosphere pregame? Did they install TV projectors for like I heard they would for gamedays? Is it busy? Too busy? My group is considering heading to Surly for the pregame Saturday.

I asked one of the bartenders last winter if they had any plans for game day activities, etc.. He looked at me and said, "We aren't big football fans around here." Not sure if he was just being a douchbag or that really was the case? Haven't been back since to know otherwise.

SurlyFest is this Saturday, so there probably won't be anything football related there and it will be extremely crowded. Not sure on other Saturdays but it's probably the best beer/food combo close to the stadium that you're gonna get (as long as you don't mind a higher price point).

As far as them being football fans, they definitely play up their sales at TCF on their Facebook page so I'd play it off as a rude bartender.

I was at Surly for the home opener against TCU. Spent several hours there sampling beers, enjoying myself and talking friends with fellow fans. There were no TVs there, and it doesn't really look like there would be any good place for them, given the design of the space. My take, this is more of a pre- and post- game destination for those who just want to eat and drink, and not worry about other games going on that day.

One positive on the game-day experience there though is that I parked for free, and was able to walk to TCF in about 10-12 minutes. And they didn't tow my car when I came back later that night!

I asked one of the bartenders last winter if they had any plans for game day activities, etc.. He looked at me and said, "We aren't big football fans around here." Not sure if he was just being a douchbag or that really was the case? Haven't been back since to know otherwise.
I called earlier this summer and got the same answer.

It's a destination in and of itself at this point, they're not really hard up for customers. Maybe a few years from now if the sheen wears off of the new digs they'll reevaluate.

I plan on going to Surly this weekend along with the Gopher's game. Does anyone have any recommendations on visiting Surly? Best day and time? Best beers to try? Food?

I asked a bartender at Surly's about TV's and he told me in no uncertain terms they are not a sports bar. He assured me I will NEVER be able to watch a sporting event of any kind at Surly's.

I was at Surly for the home opener against TCU. Spent several hours there sampling beers, enjoying myself and talking friends with fellow fans. There were no TVs there, and it doesn't really look like there would be any good place for them, given the design of the space. My take, this is more of a pre- and post- game destination for those who just want to eat and drink, and not worry about other games going on that day.

One positive on the game-day experience there though is that I parked for free, and was able to walk to TCF in about 10-12 minutes. And they didn't tow my car when I came back later that night!

Same with us for TCU so right on bandanna guy.

For those considering pre-game, get there by noon. We may take the Green Line and drop at Prospect Park rather than risk that the lot may be full due to the Surly Fest. This place is all about their beer, etc and not the Gophers.

But I sure enjoy a couple of Furious's before KO and the food we had was very unique and tasty!!!

Same with us for TCU so right on bandanna guy.

For those considering pre-game, get there by noon. We may take the Green Line and drop at Prospect Park rather than risk that the lot may be full due to the Surly Fest. This place is all about their beer, etc and not the Gophers.

But I sure enjoy a couple of Furious's before KO and the food we had was very unique and tasty!!!

Regarding Surly being sold in the Stadium, does anyone know where they have it? It must be at one stand at least.

I have seen a few cans floating around the stadium, but I have not seen the concession that has it. I am not a big fan of the beer selection at TCF since they got rid of the 16oz taps of Summit, but I'd drink the Surly cans for sure.

There is a small stand right outside of my section which is 111. Very convenient for our group.

The beer selection is very spotty and inconsistent. Mostly domestic & lites and maybe one good brew if you are lucky.

I found a stand just up from our seats in 238 around 242 that had Surly Furious.

I asked a bartender at Surly's about TV's and he told me in no uncertain terms they are not a sports bar. He assured me I will NEVER be able to watch a sporting event of any kind at Surly's.

Why is this in any way newsworthy? Sports are just about as far from "Surly culture" as you can get. They have a very distinct brand, with a gigantic, dedicated following. I'm pretty sure that putting TVs in every corner with BTN playing would be a pretty bad business decision for them. They make great beer, and they appeal to folks who like great beer. There are a million sports bar options in the metro with a few Surly options on tap.

Why is this in any way newsworthy? Sports are just about as far from "Surly culture" as you can get. They have a very distinct brand, with a gigantic, dedicated following. I'm pretty sure that putting TVs in every corner with BTN playing would be a pretty bad business decision for them. They make great beer, and they appeal to folks who like great beer. There are a million sports bar options in the metro with a few Surly options on tap.

Why are you being so aggressive to someone who is responding in a Surly thread to a question about the atmosphere and whether or not there are TVs at the location?

The beer selection is very spotty and inconsistent. Mostly domestic & lites and maybe one good brew if you are lucky.

I found a stand just up from our seats in 238 around 242 that had Surly Furious.

Wow, I did not even know they had beer stands at the top of the home side, that is great.

I was really impressed with the tap beer selections, and the outdoor beer garden the first couple of years, then last year they went to al canned beer and that really sucked. Now they did away with the beer gardens out by the tailgate area on the NE side facing Mariucci, and that is a real problem.

Congestion in the concourses is getting real bad this year due to the lack of restroom and general space lost when the U of M decided to do away with all that open space this year. I am shocked more people from the North/ opposition bench side are not up in arms about this unannounced change. The quality of life in the concourse has dropped a great deal without all that overflow space.

Why are you being so aggressive to someone who is responding in a Surly thread to a question about the atmosphere and whether or not there are TVs at the location?

What? How was I being aggressive?

What? How was I being aggressive?

"Why is this in any way newsworthy?" I'm guessing it was this quote. Seemed a little aggressive since it was just an answer to someones question.

Also went to Surly before the TCU game. Great alternative to tailgating. Lots of Gopher fans (and some TCU fans). Took a picture with RT Rybak in his Gopher gear. I was thinking of going for lunch before the game this weekend but didn't know it was SurlyFest. May have to look at the schedule of events. Maybe try and get there before things really start rolling.

I love that Surly consciously has no TVs. As someone said, there's enough sports bars around. Plus there's TVs everywhere now, including your dentist & barber. Death of the conversation, if you ask me. Love that Surly forces you to interact with those around you.

Also went to Surly before the TCU game. Great alternative to tailgating. Lots of Gopher fans (and some TCU fans). Took a picture with RT Rybak in his Gopher gear. I was thinking of going for lunch before the game this weekend but didn't know it was SurlyFest. May have to look at the schedule of events. Maybe try and get there before things really start rolling.

I love that Surly consciously has no TVs. As someone said, there's enough sports bars around. Plus there's TVs everywhere now, including your dentist & barber. Death of the conversation, if you ask me. Love that Surly forces you to interact with those around you.

Death of the conversation is all on the smart phone imo.

I'm in no way mad at Surly for not being more pro-Gophers. I was just relaying what the super cool bartender guy told me. Their beer is still top notch.

"Why is this in any way newsworthy?" I'm guessing it was this quote. Seemed a little aggressive since it was just an answer to someones question.

Ah, well if that's the case I apologize. Definitely not my intent.

I plan on going to Surly this weekend along with the Gopher's game. Does anyone have any recommendations on visiting Surly? Best day and time? Best beers to try? Food?

What type of beer do you generally like?

Surly can get really busy but if you that going in it's really not too bad. You'll probably have to wait at least an hour for a table if you go for dinner, but you can get beer while you wait and there's more than enough space for pretty much any size group to find a spot to hang out, especially when it's warm out which it will be this weekend. You won't feel 'cramped' at all even though there's 500 people there. If you're looking for minimal crowds I would head there right after the game or as early as you can get there on Friday.

For food everything I've had has been phenomenal. Just get whatever sounds best to you and I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

As mentioned earlier, this Saturday is SurlyFest at the brewery. You might be able to get in early without one, but at least starting in the afternoon you have to purchase a ticket to attend. Not sure what that means for early-day service but my guess is it'll be a crazy weekend there as they set up music stages and whatnot. Best bet is to save the Saturday Surly trip for another weekend.

If you're going on Sunday, I have never had any issue getting there when they open (at 11am) for brunch. It's deadsville and you can have your pick of tables, plus the service is super fast at that hour.

EDIT: of course, the Vikes have an early game on Sunday. Probably won't affect the traffic at Surly too much, assuming they open at 11am most Vikings fans wouldn't have time to go there then to the game - but maybe.

Nonetheless, they do need a few more large-breasted waitresses.

Nokomis - Agree with your take entirely. Funny you mention Rybak - on the walk back to my car, my friend and I were walking right behind him and his family. Didn't realize it until we got all the way back to Surly (and my bud had to point him out to me).

I think its a nice change to have a place to get beers before and/or after the game where you don't have to feel bombarded by pre- and post-game nonsense, or some late Badger or OSU game.

Top Bottom