Sunday's story lines

Schnauzer

Pretty Sure You are Wrong
Reaction score
Man... I can see this going either way right now.

Story Line #1
We knew the Gophers are passing challenged but upon facing their first opponent D-line and backers that could take away their read-option and run, we also should have seen this loss coming. Passing isn't some sort of 'secret weapon' that hadn't needed to be used, it actually IS that bad. Worse, we also should have seen the improvement in Iowa's offense (as described by their fans all week) as a warning sign that the tables wouldn't be turned after last year's drubbing at the hands of a physical line and RB. Sure enough, the Gopher non-conf schedule was soft and Iowa once again showed us this team has a ways to go before it can match up straight with B1G teams on a regular basis. The Gopher D is suddenly a big concern after being suspect against the pass during non conference, and now being gashed by the run against the first conference game. Another wish and hope year for the Gophers' bowl chances, and Iowa is clearly on the rise, having beaten a rising B1G team on the road.

Story Line #2
Leidner's decent day throwing the ball and Engle's 100 yd day show that the stories of the death of the forward pass in Dinkytown were greatly exaggerated. ESPN and BTN take note that they can't bash the passing game anymore and the Gopher O line is indeed the real deal. Iowa had enjoyed a renewed confidence from its fans after reeling in three straight wins, but we should have seen this coming considering all those teams are winless. Back to the coaching questions and sky is falling for the Squawk fans. Meanwhile, for the first time in a long time there is a real buzz building behind the Gopher Football Program. The culture change is impossible to ignore after drawing so few penalties through 5 weeks, no turnovers again, and another example of dominating the second half, this time against a B1G team. It sure has been fun to watch this team improve on defense to the point it can shut down a stout running team with a big line.

I guess the only thing that is certain for tomorrow's result... I saw it coming a mile away, either way. :)

I'll take option 2 please :) I am somewhat prepared for option 1 though and I don't think it should cause us to "meltdown".

Story Line #3
Experts questioned whether either team could show anything with forward pass. The experts were correct. Neither team threw for 100 yards and neither was able to average 4.0 per carry. The Gophers won a sloppy 6-3 (missed XP) game in the rain. The Gophers will eventually need to find some option at WR but this win should give them some confidence going into Ann Arbor...

If we win, we will have that "playing with house money" feeling heading into the Michigan game. Which needless to say, would be awesome.

Top Bottom