Students - your chance to make a difference

cduff

Reaction score
I don't know a lot about this, but it looks like there is a student group forming on campus that is attempting or organize student activities outside, but more importantly inside the game. This seems like a good opportunity to get involved and put a lot of the ideas I've seen on this board to work.

http://www.mndaily.com/2009/04/02/student-spirit-group-gears-game-day

not to piss anyone off or anything but i dont see this working at all, usually for the most part the drunk/buzzed ones are the only ones cheering, and at least the ones I know prolly wont be to motivated with someone telling them to do a lame rah rah chant. and the ones that just sit at the games are lost causes anyway, you could put a gun to their head and i dont think they could get into the game. I know this all happened at the metrodome and i hope this works at tcf, but the student sections for football games has been absolutley terrible. I admire these kids for trying but i think the only thing that could work short term is a crisp cold breeze and a good team

Umm i dont know what student section you have been watching but we definitely cheer and cheer loud. Sure, my friends and I have been drunk for some games, but we have also been sober and cheered just as loud, as were all the people sitting around us.

not to piss anyone off or anything but i dont see this working at all, usually for the most part the drunk/buzzed ones are the only ones cheering, and at least the ones I know prolly wont be to motivated with someone telling them to do a lame rah rah chant. and the ones that just sit at the games are lost causes anyway, you could put a gun to their head and i dont think they could get into the game. I know this all happened at the metrodome and i hope this works at tcf, but the student sections for football games has been absolutley terrible. I admire these kids for trying but i think the only thing that could work short term is a crisp cold breeze and a good team

okay debbie downer and thanks for your two-cents. thanks for posting cduff. appreciate it!

that sounds incredibly lame, but maybe something interesting will come of it?

any group with the name "We Are....Minnesota Sportsmanship Council" loses all credibility with me. It sounds like some student group run my "The Man" that will end up trying to ruin all the fun.

any group with the name "We Are....Minnesota Sportsmanship Council" loses all credibility with me. It sounds like some student group run my "The Man" that will end up trying to ruin all the fun.

exactly, most the people on this board prolly sat in the good seats at the dome where the student section ws good. But me and my friends who would drink up till the game sit half way up and try and get the student section going, it was brutal, half way up the student sectionwas dead as could be, a few games me and my 7 or 8 friends were the only ones standing within 8 rows eaither direction, and the worst part was the people sitting behind us didnt even care they couldnt see the game. I hope this groups succeeds i really do, but i just dont see the living dead part of the student section getting riled up from some super happy students. I DO THINK a strong chilly breeze later in the season will at least get them off the cold bleachers....but thats just my opinion

exactly, most the people on this board prolly sat in the good seats at the dome where the student section ws good. But me and my friends who would drink up till the game sit half way up and try and get the student section going, it was brutal, half way up the student sectionwas dead as could be, a few games me and my 7 or 8 friends were the only ones standing within 8 rows eaither direction, and the worst part was the people sitting behind us didnt even care they couldnt see the game. I hope this groups succeeds i really do, but i just dont see the living dead part of the student section getting riled up from some super happy students. I DO THINK a strong chilly breeze later in the season will at least get them off the cold bleachers....but thats just my opinion

You, MrSchells, sound like exactly the kind of person this student group is looking for. Passionate, and with a chip on your shoulder. Aside from your perpetual drinking, your energy and enthusiasm fit the bill.

At the end of the day, isn't sitting in the student section all about finding an outlet for your angst by disrespecting the opposing team? I'd give straight cash money to any student org that focused on that.

The student section at TCF is going to be insane next year. And if we can maintain some degree of success, it will be for years to come.

This group idea may seem kinda lame, but it might take something like that to at least get it started. Then more vulgar and offensive cheers will likely evolve from them in years to come.

As I recall, I think freshman in madison go to a mandatory, but brief seminar to learn the chants, cheers, jeers, etc, for football games.

I really hope the fresh air wakes up the tired student section though. I've found myself going hoarse yelling at the games, not only at the games, making noise on defense, and what not, but because I spend so much of the game berating the other people in the student section for not making noise, or not even standing up. Its sad.

And yes I usually drink before games starting with tailgating as early as possible. It is and should be part of being in the student section, just going to have to be a little more crafty next year, but arent we all looking forward to the challenge.

You, MrSchells, sound like exactly the kind of person this student group is looking for. Passionate, and with a chip on your shoulder. Aside from your perpetual drinking, your energy and enthusiasm fit the bill.

if it wasn't for my enjoyment of spirits and fear of being lame i would. I as well as many others who are not part of this group will be trying their hardest to wake up the student section. I dont think it will get done in a formal group way though. Students have to make the statement its no longer acceptable to sit at games. A good example would be at the basketbll game this year when a kid wearing a becky shirt tried sitting in good seats at the bsketball game. After getting a piece of pizza square in his face, becky fans are going to be a bit more reserved when trying to pull that trash again. I wish that spirit would extend to the whole student section.

My regards to whomever guided that pizza to his face

Speaking of Becky

There is a F the Badgers group on facebook.

Go Gophers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks like a great idea but it needs to be implemented properly. Our student section should be intimidating to opposing fans, I'm not saying violently but if an opposing fan attempts to sit in the student section then they should get a lot of trash talk their way.

i was sitting 4 spots a way from him down the row..that could not have hit him more squarly in the eye, toppings first

As I recall, I think freshman in madison go to a mandatory, but brief seminar to learn the chants, cheers, jeers, etc, for football games.

You are correct, sir. All freshman attend a student section "seminar" in Camp Randall where they learn how to do all of the chants and cheers as well as how to participate and have fun in the 5th Quarter Celebration. It's a really fun experience.

You are correct, sir. All freshman attend a student section "seminar" in Camp Randall where they learn how to do all of the chants and cheers as well as how to participate and have fun in the 5th Quarter Celebration. It's a really fun experience.

Go away, no one cares.

Wow. That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

They should teach UW Fresmen how to avoid being douche-bags instead. Then maybe they can manage to fit into society better, and quit forming "UW Alumni groups" in every US city because no one wants to be friends with them.

Wow. That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

They should teach UW Fresmen how to avoid being douche-bags instead. Then maybe they can manage to fit into society better, and quit forming "UW Alumni groups" in every US city because no one wants to be friends with them.

oh snap!

Top Bottom