Student Sections ...

scher215

Reaction score
Don't worry, I am not starting a debate over who's better as fans or anything,

but did anyone catch on Sports Center their highlight of the Duke Student section? Granted, they may be the best in college basketball, but when a Clemson player got whistled and argued, the chant was "You let your team down" (not f*** you, believe it or not) This is a perfect example of the creativity a student section should have.

To everyone else who is a student on this board, that is the creativity that we need to have. I was a fan of the "F*** Bo Ryan" chant, but since then it is just annoying and there is no creativity what so ever.

This season may be lost, but hope in the future the creativity can be stepped up a notch.

I have to give the Cameron Crazies an "A" for creativity as well.

When Georgia Tech was playing at Cameron Indoor, the the students chanted "Daddy's better" to Glen Rice Jr.

I have to give the Cameron Crazies an "A" for creativity as well.

When Georgia Tech was playing at Cameron Indoor, the the students chanted "Daddy's better" to Glen Rice Jr.

That could have been a great chant for Hardaway Jr. (had he not lit us up anyways)

Also, can we really not think of a chant for a guy with the last name Keebler???? Come on!

having stood in the front row under one of the baskets, the "energy" of the crazies isn't as organic as you might think. Everything is very rehearsed, complete with pumped in blaring music and "let''s get loud" video montages. Even with all that, which I really hate, they make the barnyard look like 3rd graders.

The best part is that it is all self-policed. An inappropriate chant started, the students themselves shut it down. Some undergrads slipped into the grad student section, and the student ushers politiely asked them to leave, and they did. This actually impresses me more than their creativity, loudness, etc.

Seems like the barnyard board is more interested in being on TV and mugging for photo ops.

That could have been a great chant for Hardaway Jr. (had he not lit us up anyways)

Also, can we really not think of a chant for a guy with the last name Keebler???? Come on!

True...but his daddy was better. Saw him at the barn back when it was Memphis State. He was just a man among boys.

There has to be something better than "Go bake some cookies" for Keebler, but I would love to see some more creative stuff out of the student section.

VT chanting "Who's your daddy" at Seth Curry (his dad was a Hokie great) last weekend was classic. Mostly because of the circumstances - fouled out, no points, turnover on final Duke possession.

I, as a student, definitely agree with you guys that we could be a lot more creative and respectable at the same time. I am not a big fan of the "f*** you" and "pussy" chants that have been going around this season, just makes us look classless and essentially lazy. There are plenty of great examples around the nation of creativity amongst student sections like Purdue singing "Party in the USA" to Sullinger (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h27NIkjnMRY) and Utah State's winning team losing team chant (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARpzavb7PQk)

This being said, I think it is difficult to coordinate certain cheers when you have about 50% of the crowd there solely for the social aspect. Now, this isn't an excuse by any means because I know we could come up with a lot of stuff with our current makeup, but when you have a good chunk of the students sitting in the back, not having a clue what's going on basketball-wise, you're going to get the lazy, vulgar chants. Hopefully we (and the team) can come up with a better performance next year.

In general there needs to be better outreach to the general student body from the athletic department.

On a side note, how intoxicated have the students been lately? The last few games I've attended, the students sadly looked overly sober. Perhaps the student section needs to drink a little more prior/during the games and the creativity will come with it.

This being said, I think it is difficult to coordinate certain cheers when you have about 50% of the crowd there solely for the social aspect.

+1000000

I can't stand watching a game and hearing 2 fools behind me have no idea what a travel is, who is who, etc. And when girls show up to the game thinking they are eye candy and just take stupid pictures with their friends doing peace signs and puckered lips. Cant stand that

End Mike Leach style rant

A possible idea to improve this ... could be implemented rather easily by the athletic department or by any regular fan or especially the barnyard.

Create a UMN student section facebook group (or twitter account). A few days before the game, have its members, whether they actually be students attending the games (preferred) or others post ideas for chants about specific players or just creative chants in general (not slanderous or involving swearing). Then have the barnyard pick their favorites and start these chants at appropriate times during the game.

Of one person has an idea for a "creative" chant it can be difficult to start it all by yourself. With the help of the barnyard, and possibly knowing chants before the games, can make it easier to pull off. For example, have the barnyard post the final list the day of the game so you can check out what to expect going into the game. Especially since half of the time, you can't even figure out what they are chanting anyways right now. This would need some UMN backing however, to get it put into that Barnyard newsletter they have at every home game.

This is a similar idea to what Bill Simmons would do via twitter for Celtics playoff games.

The last creative chants I can think of that we had was against Winona State for Anthony Tucker, ("Who likes drinking? He likes drinking!" and "One more beer, one more beer") I also like the "Gopher Reject" chants. But other than those, boy has it been bad this year.

A possible idea to improve this ... could be implemented rather easily by the athletic department or by any regular fan or especially the barnyard.

Create a UMN student section facebook group (or twitter account). A few days before the game, have its members, whether they actually be students attending the games (preferred) or others post ideas for chants about specific players or just creative chants in general (not slanderous or involving swearing). Then have the barnyard pick their favorites and start these chants at appropriate times during the game.

Of one person has an idea for a "creative" chant it can be difficult to start it all by yourself. With the help of the barnyard, and possibly knowing chants before the games, can make it easier to pull off. For example, have the barnyard post the final list the day of the game so you can check out what to expect going into the game. Especially since half of the time, you can't even figure out what they are chanting anyways right now. This would need some UMN backing however, to get it put into that Barnyard newsletter they have at every home game.

This is a similar idea to what Bill Simmons would do via twitter for Celtics playoff games.

The last creative chants I can think of that we had was against Winona State for Anthony Tucker, ("Who likes drinking? He likes drinking!" and "One more beer, one more beer") I also like the "Gopher Reject" chants. But other than those, boy has it been bad this year.

But that would involve actual work, something in which the barnyard board has no interest.

The Barn Yard has a Board? Really?

Top Bottom