STrib: Who starts for Gophers football in 2021? Here's an early analysis

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Megan:

Quarterback: Tanner Morgan • junior
He was a breakout star in 2019, setting school records and earning national attention. But without Tyler Johnson and Rashod Bateman, he didn't look like the efficient and productive passer from just a year ago. In the Gophers' seven games this season, he threw just seven TDs, with five INTs. One of the faces of the 11-2 campaign in 2019, Morgan also now owns the 3-4 team record of this fall. His next game will be his 30th in maroon and gold.

2021 outlook: Still the starter as a highly respected leader on the team.

Other QB options: Zack Annexstad, Jacob Clark, Cole Kramer.

Running back: Mohamed Ibrahim • junior
He put the team on his back and literally carried it in every game, earning Big Ten Running Back of the Year with more than 100 (sometimes 200!) yards in all seven games. He rushed for 15 touchdowns this year, most in the Big Ten and tied for fifth-most nationally.

2021 outlook: He'll finish his degree, likely carry the Gophers again and set himself up for an NFL future.

Other RB options: Treyson Potts, Cam Wiley.

Right tackle: Daniel Faalele • junior
MIA for the entire season, noticeable for the 6-9, 400-pound Australian, with COVID-19 concerns. He hasn't played in more than a year after injuring his leg late in 2019.

2021 outlook: The latecomer to football still needs development.

Right guard: Curtis Dunlap Jr. • soph.
Another lineman sidelined for all of 2020, this time with a lower-leg injury. Dunlap was in the NCAA transfer portal for one day this past offseason but reneged and seems rededicated to the Gophers.

2021 outlook: Also in need of experience and development to go with his 6-5, 345 frame.

Go Gophers!!

This just in...Megan doesn’t know the definition of “literally”.

OL: If everyone comes back, we're going to have a lot of high quality depth along our OL. It'll be interesting to see how that position group shakes out.

TE: It's another interesting group. I have to think Paulsen will be the "starter" but that doesn't mean much with this set of guys. They all play quite a bit. It'll be interesting to see if Kieft and/or Witham are back.

DL: We've talked about it in the thread about the NC STATE transfer. This is an interesting group. I think Carter is starting (for sure), but I'm not sure what combo of MJD, Miller, Schad, Richter take that other spot. DE could also be interesting.

LB: It's Oliver and Marin if everyone is healthy. Oliver was great for us in 2019 and MSM is one of our best leaders. It'll be interesting to see some of the young guys (Tank, Gordon, Willis) step up, Gibbens and how they use Aune situationally. I'll be interested to see if there is some movement from this group.

CB: This position group is the scariest. Right now, it's some combo of Durr - Howard (Is he coming back?) - Harris (Is he coming back?) - Smith or one of the young guys. I expect us to be looking for JuCos here but if not, it'll be interesting.

Too early for this thread imo. We still don’t know who is leaving and coming. There is no guarantee yet that Faalele and Dunlap will even be on the roster. We should also feel far better about our WR room after what happened today. Lots of moving pieces.

Too early for this thread imo. We still don’t know who is leaving and coming. There is no guarantee yet that Faalele and Dunlap will even be on the roster. We should also feel far better about our WR room after what happened today. Lots of moving pieces.

Agree this piece is probably a few weeks early. Need to let guys declare for the NFL and make their intentions known for next year before really being in a position to make a good guess as to how things are going to look.

OL: If everyone comes back, we're going to have a lot of high quality depth along our OL. It'll be interesting to see how that position group shakes out.

TE: It's another interesting group. I have to think Paulsen will be the "starter" but that doesn't mean much with this set of guys. They all play quite a bit. It'll be interesting to see if Kieft and/or Witham are back.

DL: We've talked about it in the thread about the NC STATE transfer. This is an interesting group. I think Carter is starting (for sure), but I'm not sure what combo of MJD, Miller, Schad, Richter take that other spot. DE could also be interesting.

LB: It's Oliver and Marin if everyone is healthy. Oliver was great for us in 2019 and MSM is one of our best leaders. It'll be interesting to see some of the young guys (Tank, Gordon, Willis) step up, Gibbens and how they use Aune situationally. I'll be interested to see if there is some movement from this group.

CB: This position group is the scariest. Right now, it's some combo of Durr - Howard (Is he coming back?) - Harris (Is he coming back?) - Smith or one of the young guys. I expect us to be looking for JuCos here but if not, it'll be interesting.
With Oliver back and healthy, and the development of Gordon and Willis, I would not be surprised if Aune mostly sees the field on special teams. But I could easily be wrong.

Which game qualifies as "Mo definitely did not put the team (offense) on his back"??

Dumbass
I see you should also take a look at the definitions of literally and figuratively and try to understand the difference.

I see you should also take a look at the definitions of literally and figuratively and try to understand the difference.
He did literally carry the ball, in every game. And he did put our offense on his back, in every game.

Dumbass

Gee I wonder if an actual journalist, who actually went to a J-school, and actually has been hired by a major newspaper, might know more about literary rules than some random jerk off internet poster!

He did literally carry the ball, in every game. And he did put our offense on his back, in every game.

Dumbass

Gee I wonder if an actual journalist, who actually went to a J-school, and actually has been hired by a major newspaper, might know more about literary rules than some random jerk off internet poster!
Ah, so you don’t understand what literally means. Got it.

Top Bottom