STrib: Where does Daniel Oturu's 32-point game rank among Gophers top big men performances?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

The 6-foot-10 sophomore racked up 32 points on 12-for-23 shooting from the field and 8-for-9 shooting from the foul line, to go with 16 rebounds and three blocks in 36 minutes.

“He's a big-time player,” Penn State coach Pat Chambers said. “Long arms, he's athletic, and he's got great touch from 15 feet. He's a big time player.”

It was Oturu's second 30-point performance in Big Ten play, which included his previous career-best 30 points in a Jan. 12 win against Michigan. He was just the third major conference player to have at least 30 points and 15 rebounds in a game this season, joining Purdue’s Trevion Williams and Georgetown’s Omer Yurtseven.

“The student section was on him early,” Pitino said after Saturday’s loss. “I didn’t know how he would respond. I think he was a little bit embarrassed from the first game (squabble with Lamar Stevens). They certainly were good, and everybody competed their [tail] off. You just never know how mentally somebody is going to be throughout the course of game. Daniel was terrific.”

Gophers big men 30-point games since 2000
36 Kris Humphries at Indiana 2004
35 Jordan Murphy vs. USC Upstate 2017
34 Dusty Rychart vs. Hawaii-Pacific 2000
33 Joel Przybilla vs. Indiana 2000
32 Daniel Oturu at Penn State 2020
32 Dusty Rychart vs. TCU 2000
30 Daniel Oturu vs. Michigan 2020
*30 Jordan Murphy vs. North Carolina A&T 2018
*The last time a Gophers player had at least 30 points and 15 rebounds in a game before Oturu on Saturday.

Go Gophers!!

Joel's against IU and Randy Breuer's against Ohio State (1982) are the most memorable for me. It's always more memorable when the team wins. The 1982 game was the conference championship clincher.

Oturu has exceeded my expectations and is only a sophomore.

Watched the Penn St game at the bar with my Michigan friend, Iowa friend (I know...sad, I know) and two Virginia friends. They all really love Oturu and I think if he comes back next year, this team could be REALLY really really good

Dusty Rychart had some really nice games for the Gophers - and none of the baggage that Humphries or Pryzbilla accumulated. I know he was still playing in Australia as of 2017, but apparently missed last season with injuries.

Top Bottom