STrib: Twin Cities program rises in the competitive, controversial world of prep school basketball

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per STrib:

Where traditional governing bodies emphasize fair competition and equal opportunity, prep schools push for individual betterment.

"It's about doing what's right for the kids," Patterson said.

Patterson is the driving force behind Minnesota Prep Academy, a four-year-old online school based at Jerry Gamble Boys & Girls Club in north Minneapolis. Many were skeptical when Patterson and co-founder Donnell Bratton, a senior pastor at Overcomer's Victory Church in St. Paul, launched Minnesota Prep. They were scrambling for players, resources and facilities.

Now, things are moving forward nicely. The tuition for room, board, facilities and travel is $12,500 per year for in-state players and $15,500 for out-of-state, much of it paid for by privately funded scholarships. The school has 26 students, and it fields dozens of requests from potential players.

"We're on good footing," Patterson said. "We'll never turn down funding, but we're better off than I thought we'd be four years ago."

Go Gophers!!

This is one reason the NCAA should not have dropped the minimum ACT or SAT scores to qualify.
Who oversees the quality of the education that the students get?
What happens to the students who do not get a scholarship for college, or do not play BB for money if they have no education?
Who "sponsors" the scholarships?
Twenty six students spread over four years of high school is a bit more than six students per year.
This seems like a scam to me.

This is one reason the NCAA should not have dropped the minimum ACT or SAT scores to qualify.
What happens to the students who do not get a scholarship for college, or do not play BB for money if they have no education?
Twenty six students spread over four years of high school is a bit more than six students per year.
When the ncaa didn’t punish North Carolina it was pretty much an admission they didn’t think they could punish university’s academic standards. That’s an accreditation issue

For those in the youth hockey world, you’ve probably heard of Breakaway Academy and Gentry Academy. I see these places multiplying over the next decade.

When the ncaa didn’t punish North Carolina it was pretty much an admission they didn’t think they could punish university’s academic standards. That’s an accreditation issue
The reason why the NCAA was not able to punish NC has been delineated here multiple times.
The "benefits" in the fraudulent courses were available to all students and the NCAA does not have subpoena powers to get people to testify and to have to testify under oath.
That case has nothing to do with the BB high school in MN.
The accreditation issues for that "school" are at the state level.
My main concern is that students at that school seem to run the risk of getting no education.

1643725001723.png

Like Ypsi Prep where Emoni Bates went his last year before going off to Memphis. I’m not sure they even exist anymore as I can’t find any info other then last years schedule and roster. Nothing listed for this year at all.

The reason why the NCAA was not able to punish NC has been delineated here multiple times.
The "benefits" in the fraudulent courses were available to all students and the NCAA does not have subpoena powers to get people to testify and to have to testify under oath.
That case has nothing to do with the BB high school in MN.
The accreditation issues for that "school" are at the state level.
My main concern is that students at that school seem to run the risk of getting no education.
The education of kids at prep schools have nothing to do with the ncaa either was my point

After the Primetime Prep Fiasco I could see these concerns, but this has been around a few years now, if there were any issues with accreditation on that front, I'm guessing it would have been exposed. They have a guy going to Tulsa next year.

per STrib:

Where traditional governing bodies emphasize fair competition and equal opportunity, prep schools push for individual betterment.

"It's about doing what's right for the kids," Patterson said.

Patterson is the driving force behind Minnesota Prep Academy, a four-year-old online school based at Jerry Gamble Boys & Girls Club in north Minneapolis. Many were skeptical when Patterson and co-founder Donnell Bratton, a senior pastor at Overcomer's Victory Church in St. Paul, launched Minnesota Prep. They were scrambling for players, resources and facilities.

Now, things are moving forward nicely. The tuition for room, board, facilities and travel is $12,500 per year for in-state players and $15,500 for out-of-state, much of it paid for by privately funded scholarships. The school has 26 students, and it fields dozens of requests from potential players.

"We're on good footing," Patterson said. "We'll never turn down funding, but we're better off than I thought we'd be four years ago."

Go Gophers!!
Great, more fake schools.

For those in the youth hockey world, you’ve probably heard of Breakaway Academy and Gentry Academy. I see these places multiplying over the next decade.
Perhaps education will no longer involved in sports. Instead the European club model will take its place.

It doesn't matter. The NCAA is all about money, not getting their kids an education. They are there to sell tickets, t-shirts and hotdogs.

I don't know much about Breakaway Academy, but Gentry takes their academics seriously. As long as that is the case, I'm 100% cool with these types of institutions.

I think we're going to see more and more that don't.

Perhaps education will no longer involved in sports. Instead the European club model will take its place.
It's not the worst thing that could happen. Then these kids could still attend real schools and focus on what is essentially minor league athletics.

It's not the worst thing that could happen. Then these kids could still attend real schools and focus on what is essentially minor league athletics.
We, at this time, are in the minority.
I would also add that we have some poor teachers who have been hired, not for their teaching skills in the classroom, but for their coaching skills in a given sport. Anecdotally, my kids often remarked that their humanities teachers were often poor teachers in the classroom, but since they coached some sport, they were kept.
Get rid of sports and there remains no incentive to keep poor teachers.

I don't know much about Breakaway Academy, but Gentry takes their academics seriously. As long as that is the case, I'm 100% cool with these types of institutions.

I think we're going to see more and more that don't.
Agreed. Gentry seems to be legit for that. In our society, it’s buyer beware. It’s not on the NCAA if some parents elect to enroll their kids at a prep school. This is capitalism

Agreed. Gentry seems to be legit for that. In our society, it’s buyer beware. It’s not on the NCAA if some parents elect to enroll their kids at a prep school. This is capitalism
I wouldn't call it capitalism, I would call it freedom of choice.

We, at this time, are in the minority.
I would also add that we have some poor teachers who have been hired, not for their teaching skills in the classroom, but for their coaching skills in a given sport. Anecdotally, my kids often remarked that their humanities teachers were often poor teachers in the classroom, but since they coached some sport, they were kept.
Get rid of sports and there remains no incentive to keep poor teachers.
Most of your best teachers are coaches. Get over it.

Most of your best teachers are coaches. Get over it.
False.
Most coaches may teach what they love, well. But, most love their sport and do a half-ass job with the actual curriculum they are paid to teach.

Top Bottom