STrib: The Top 10 Minnesota players in men's college basketball who aren't Gophers

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per STrib:

Marcus Fuller's potential team of Minnesota natives who left the state to star around the country.

McKinley Wright, Colorado

Jalen Suggs, Gonzaga

Matthew Hurt, Duke

Dawson Garcia, Marquette

Nate Reuvers, Wisconsin

The next five: Brad Davison, Wisconsin; Ish El-Amin, Ball State; Trae Berhow, Northern Iowa; Race Thompson, Indiana; Jericho Sims, Texas

Others: Jamison Battle, George Washington; Isaac Johnson, Nicholls State; Theo John, Marquette; Rocky Kreuser, North Dakota State; Steffon Mitchell, Boston College; David Roddy, Colorado State; Tyler Wahl, Wisconsin; Kerwin Walton, North Carolina; Simon Wright, Elon

Go Gophers!!

30 seconds of research told me they're redshirting Dain Dainja at Baylor. That's wild that they already know they're gonna redshirt him. I mean, he looked like he would be a starter here, right?

30 seconds of research told me they're redshirting Dain Dainja at Baylor. That's wild that they already know they're gonna redshirt him. I mean, he looked like he would be a starter here, right?
Wonder if it’s due to academics.

I've asked a similar question before and I'll ask now: do other states' major newspapers do this kind of thing? I'm legitimately curious. Because I don't understand the seeming obsession with tracking guys who are 'one of us'

Does Fuller do this because he actually subscribes to this weird obsession? Is he doing it because he's got an editor telling him this kind of thing will play well?

Tweaking the -U- seems to have been a Strib thing for the last 50 years at least

Does the NCAA eligibility clock not apply to basketball as it didn’t for football this year? If so, redshirting anyone would be a bizarre choice to me.

These things get so annoying. We get it, MN kids are playing basketball elsewhere. If there is a legitimate interest in seeing where guys are at and giving some brief info then fine, but every other story about MN basketball beats the dead horse that is "we don't have enough MN high school kids playing here."

Maybe Pitino should just recruit any Joe Schmo high school kids from MN and compile an 0-30 team just of MN high school kids. Wonder how the media would like that.

Yes, I'm sure other states do this same stuff. The question is more . . . are people in other states as thin skinned as those of us in MN who assume this kind of stuff is done to tweak our hometown team/fans, vs it being done to just provide an update on where some of the local kids are playing now? It's done every year, by every major paper in every state . . . so I'd urge you to not take it personally. My son played (2 years back) in the east metro and we followed a lot of these guys in HS and played against a few, so I appreciate when they have info like this.

Last edited:

I think states with similar or lower populations definitely pay attention. South Dakota laments players leaving the state. Nebraska freaks out about their players leaving. In more heavily populated states, there are too many players available to get too obsessed, though I bet they still hold grudge against the 5 stars who go to blue-bloods. I have no hard data, just an opinion based on anecdotal knowledge.

I would assume the content gets clicks and that's why it gets published every year. And I don't think the narrative has anything to with the Gophers...it's the old, "Local Boy Does Good" story

I like the content. Since I was a kid, I've always enjoyed watching local kids in the NCAA tourney. There's been a lot of fun storylines over the years, but Jake Sullivan at Iowa State was the most memorable for me...you just felt like he was gonna put up 40 every game

I think states with similar or lower populations definitely pay attention. South Dakota laments players leaving the state. Nebraska freaks out about their players leaving. In more heavily populated states, there are too many players available to get too obsessed, though I bet they still hold grudge against the 5 stars who go to blue-bloods. I have no hard data, just an opinion based on anecdotal knowledge.

Amount of D1 schools and metro areas in the state play into this too. UT isn't necessarily surprised if they lose a Memphis kid as an example.

Yes, I'm sure other states do this same stuff. The question is more . . . are people in other states as thin skinned as those of us in MN who assume this kind of stuff is done to tweak our hometown team/fans, vs it being done to just provide an update on where some of the local kids are playing now? It's done every year, by every major paper in every state . . . so I'd urge you to not take it personally. My son played (2 years back) in the east metro and we followed a lot of these guys in HS and played against a few, so I appreciate when they have info like this.
I am in Oklahoma, and they don’t do it here. It’s a story during recruitment, but once a kid leaves you don’t see articles obsessing about locals elsewhere

Top Bottom