STrib: Stollings Toxic Style Dates Back to Minnesota

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score

Michael Rand:

As they read last week published allegations about Marlene Stollings and her staff at Texas Tech, former Gophers women’s basketball players Jasmine Brunson and Taiye Bello immediately believed much of it.

The reason was simple: Both said they had experienced similar things while playing for her at Minnesota.

“The culture sounded familiar because all of that is true,” said Brunson, who was recruited by Stollings out of New York and played two seasons for her at Minnesota before finishing her Gophers career with two seasons under Lindsay Whalen.

Added Bello, who is from Michigan and was in the same graduating class with Brunson this past spring: “The first thing that came to my mind when I read the article was, ‘that sounds about right.’ ”

[...]

Brunson and Bello said players met with Dan Beebe — a consultant hired by the U athletic department who specializes in risk management — after both the 2016-17 and 2017-18 seasons. They shared their concerns about their experiences under Stollings and her staff, though it is believed those were raised during the meeting in 2018 after Stollings had already left for Texas Tech.

No school administrators or coaches are present during meetings between Beebe’s group and athletes, but the group can then share information with the athletic department if concerns are raised.

In response to a Star Tribune question about the involvement of Beebe’s group and the general handling of player concerns, a Gophers athletics spokesperson provided this statement: “The Athletics Department retained the Dan Beebe Group to evaluate and recommend ways to improve human relations across the Department. While the University cannot comment on specific personnel information received by the Dan Beebe Group from staff or student-athletes, the Athletics Department can confirm its good faith in addressing any concerns brought to its attention.”

Well we didn't fire her so no payout. However the Gopher Administrative team should have fired her due to the toxic coaching methods. For that I'm very disappointed as no one should have had to put up with this crap.

Well we didn't fire her so no payout. However the Gopher Administrative team should have fired her due to the toxic coaching methods. For that I'm very disappointed as no one should have had to put up with this crap.
I agree with the sentiment, but it seems like only some of this was "known" during her tenure. (I am sure that there was discussion among the team and the families about their concerns, but rumors and grumbling don't provide a sufficient basis to end a contract.) The contract, in this case negotiated under Norwood's watch and inherited by Coyle, would almost certainly have required an investigation to try to establish a basis for termination for cause. They might have eventually gotten there, but not before incurring the expenses related to the investigation, the negative press that comes along with that investigation and then the possibility of litigation with Stollings over her termination and/or a settlement of her contract claims. That is hard to justify for a sport that runs seven-figure deficits every year and was having some level of success on the court. I am sure Coyle was thrilled when she left voluntarily.

It's upsetting that these coaches with patterns of player mistreatment keep getting D1 jobs. We know Norwood gave her the U job but I wonder if she had been called out for her techniques if she would have gotten the TT job ? I really hope she is done as a coach.

Top Bottom