STrib: Start of Practice Energizes Whalen

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score

According to Kent: Whalen is energized and putting an added emphasis on culture:

Depth. Last year Whalen’s rotation usually went no deeper than seven players, and usually six. Not this year. Smith and Strande — who will be limited with an ankle injury as practices commence — add depth in the backcourt. And Whalen is thrilled with her depth in the post — a problem last year for a Gophers team that got beat up by bigger conference teams. She has Sconiers, Hedman, Woodard and grad student transfer Bagwell-Katalinich there.

Versatility. Whalen will be able to go with either a small or big lineup depending on the opponent, a luxury she didn’t have last season. Whalen is not ready to start talking about starting lineups yet. But she could go with bigger starting lineup that has Powell and Scalila at guard, Sissoko at small forward, Bagwell-Katalinich at power forward and Sconiers at center. A smaller starting five would have Sissoko at the four and Hubbard on the wing.

No mention of Tomancova, Ross, Cumming or Mershon (She is redshirting so that makes sense for her)

Saying 9 deep which would be welcomed depth.

Whalen won't list starters but IMO the ones that make the most sense is Sconiers, Sissoko, Hubbard, Scalia and Powell. Most experienced and highest level of talent on the team.

Smith, Bagwell-Katalinich likely first two off the bench, with Woodard and Hedman provided post depth. Strande might get minutes if an injury occurs to one of the main three or if a game is out of hand.

Right now, I'm guessing, early on, that we'll get to a lineup of: Hubbard, Powell, Scalia, Sissoko and Hedman.

When we inevitably go small: Hubbard, Powell, Scalia, Smith and Sissoko. (With maybe Strande inplace of Smith (scoring is good)). Yes, we have some post depth; but our strength is still guard play.

There's a lot of players I haven't seen or have barely seen play; so I'm hoping for some surprises.

Right now, I'm guessing, early on, that we'll get to a lineup of: Hubbard, Powell, Scalia, Sissoko and Hedman.

When we inevitably go small: Hubbard, Powell, Scalia, Smith and Sissoko. (With maybe Strande inplace of Smith (scoring is good)). Yes, we have some post depth; but our strength is still guard play.

There's a lot of players I haven't seen or have barely seen play; so I'm hoping for some surprises.
Same. And it would be awesome if one of those posts is good at passing out of the posts.

Top Bottom