STrib: Spring Game Offensive MVP: Strevler, Defensive MVP: Pook

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Joe:

Offensive mvp

Chris Strevler

He had a 64-yard touchdown run and completed 11 of 20 passes for 73 yards.

defensive mvp

Cody Poock

He had a game-high 17 tackles, including 1½ tackles for loss.

By the NUMBERS

2 Sacks for junior defensive end Hank Ekpe.

12 Tackles for sophomore linebacker Jonathan Celestin.

1 Turnover in about 100 plays for the Gophers.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/299470671.html

Go Gophers!!

Let the QB controversy start...

Celestin looked great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If #13 had not dropped that pass, Strevler would have had an even more impressive outing.

Let the QB controversy start...

Celestin looked great.

There is no QB controversy. That will only happen if ML7 gets hurt, its his team.

If #13 had not dropped that pass, Strevler would have had an even more impressive outing.

#13-Gant had one drop right as I walked in. My friend said that was his second drop. Then he had the long one near the end as well. So I believe he had 3+ drops.

Congrats to the MVPs.

Coach Kill has said he will evaluate the films to determine the line ups.

In regards to WRs, I am sure Desmond Gant will get a boat load of coaching to address dropped balls. Leidner and the receivers need a lot of work to improve the aerial game. Hopefully, come Fall practice Desmond is a much improved confident WR. Otherwise, there are guys vying for the coveted playing time.

Which of the following will seperate themselves and join Woli, KJ, and JJ with playing time at WR?:

Eric Carter, Brian Smith, Jeff Borchart, Will Reger, Desmond Gant (#13), Michael Conway, Melvin Holland Jr., Louis Tuszynski, EJ Sardinha, & Isaiah Gentry.

I presume unless they prove otherwise too good to sit in fall practice, Hunter Register and Rashad Still will red shirt.

You never give up on a kid. Some of them like Nugget won't wake up until their final year.

The best players will have the most playing time, walk-ons or scholarship players. Leave the player ratings coming out of HS behind. Everyone starts from zero rating, and either have unmistakable mature talent (Tyler Moore) or earn their way into playing time.

#13-Gant had one drop right as I walked in. My friend said that was his second drop. Then he had the long one near the end as well. So I believe he had 3+ drops.

In the drills before the scrimmage he dropped three in a row. So he is consistent at least.

Melvin Holland also had a drop from Streveler. The ball hit him on the hands almost immediately after he got out of his break. It just surprised him and was more of a timing issue that should can get out during fall camp than a case of bad hands.

Although you can't take much from the Spring game, some things I saw:
1 . The Canadian DE Kafo is a ways from contributing. Thinking his junior year.
2. #44 RB ( Hart ) from Rochester CC. Is a very good
3. JJ was the best " new" WR out there. On one play he was open by 20 yes and Mitch took a sack
Gant creates good separation, but had 3 drops. Of the returns, Carter and Maye both played well in limited time.
4. Is our DL and LB's that good, or is our OL a work in progress? We need John Christensen back.
5. After yesterday, I think we've the best secondary in the B1G. And did the first unit even play after the first set?
6. The kicking game is top notch. Santoso drilled one from 56 yards that cleared the bar by 10 yards
We will again have great speed at kickoff and punt returns even though they did none of that yesterday
7. Nugget will be our go back. He only played the first series. Rodney and Berkley will compliment.
And I look for one of the freshmen coming in to be in the mix
8. Everett Williams was out yesterday. The first unit only played one series. If Williams holds off Poock, he must have had a hell of a Spring.
9. Connor Rhoda played very well yesterday and he is behind Perra who was out with a hand injury.
10. Summary: The only thing that concerns me is the OL. One of the better players up front yesterday was true freshman Tyler Moore even though he was playing with two dislocated fingers. Alex Mayes is recovering yet from a shoulder injury and as mentioned John C. will be back in the fall. I think true freshman Quinn Osland ( sp?) will be in the mix. I see another 8 win season.

Ruppert, I agree about the OL. Pass blocking seems to be a reoccurring issue the past few years and it was again yesterday. In his interview at the end Kill almost sounded desperate to get Jon Christenson back. I'm hoping he stabilizes things as he's the leader of that unit. He started one game last year, against Missouri, and the pass blocking was pretty good in that game. Lack of athleticism might be part of the issue, but the need for Jon C to be back suggests it's mainly an issue with communication and cohesion. It's my main concern that is hopefully fixed before TCU. We won't have a chance in that game if we don't give Leidner some time to throw.

Ruppert, I agree about the OL. Pass blocking seems to be a reoccurring issue the past few years and it was again yesterday. In his interview at the end Kill almost sounded desperate to get Jon Christenson back. I'm hoping he stabilizes things as he's the leader of that unit. He started one game last year, against Missouri, and the pass blocking was pretty good in that game. Lack of athleticism might be part of the issue, but the need for Jon C to be back suggests it's mainly an issue with communication and cohesion. It's my main concern that is hopefully fixed before TCU. We won't have a chance in that game if we don't give Leidner some time to throw.

Question for those of you at the game commenting on the o line pass blocking. Was it simply that our guys were getting beat (aka the 2 second sacks) or was it an issue of our timing being off on passing plays and taking longer because it's spring (aka coverage or 4ish second sacks)? Just curious if our guys are getting beat off the snap or if it's the secondary being solid and our timing not being quite in stride yet. Thanks

One thought on the O-line, but perhaps it is a timing thing... our DL seems to have great jump on them, but
they had become accustomed to the 'clap' count, vs TCU, OSU and NEBBY... where our O-line is still getting
used to coming of the snap with the 'clap' count.

Of course losing two seniors sucks, but this is still a talented group.

Although you can't take much from the Spring game, some things I saw:
1 . The Canadian DE Kafo is a ways from contributing. Thinking his junior year.
2. #44 RB ( Hart ) from Rochester CC. Is a very good
3. JJ was the best " new" WR out there. On one play he was open by 20 yes and Mitch took a sack
Gant creates good separation, but had 3 drops. Of the returns, Carter and Maye both played well in limited time.
4. Is our DL and LB's that good, or is our OL a work in progress? We need John Christensen back.
5. After yesterday, I think we've the best secondary in the B1G. And did the first unit even play after the first set?
6. The kicking game is top notch. Santoso drilled one from 56 yards that cleared the bar by 10 yards
We will again have great speed at kickoff and punt returns even though they did none of that yesterday
7. Nugget will be our go back. He only played the first series. Rodney and Berkley will compliment.
And I look for one of the freshmen coming in to be in the mix
8. Everett Williams was out yesterday. The first unit only played one series. If Williams holds off Poock, he must have had a hell of a Spring.
9. Connor Rhoda played very well yesterday and he is behind Perra who was out with a hand injury.
10. Summary: The only thing that concerns me is the OL. One of the better players up front yesterday was true freshman Tyler Moore even though he was playing with two dislocated fingers. Alex Mayes is recovering yet from a shoulder injury and as mentioned John C. will be back in the fall. I think true freshman Quinn Osland ( sp?) will be in the mix. I see another 8 win season.

1. Kafo is still raw, but did you see the way he's put together? That's what a B1G DE looks like. I'd be happy to see him get some snaps as a r-Soph and then compete for a starting spot as a r-Jr.

2. #44 is Kirsch I believe? Nice practice player. I'd be shocked if he ever played meaningful snaps in a game.

3. Gant is the most intriguing of the young WR's athletically and that showed in his separation. He's also the rawest/newest to the position and that showed in his drops. To bad Wolitarsky has the flu, he is our best WR right now. Maye is solid. Carter is our 3rd best WR, but it's a challenge to get him on the field behind Maye. Gentry caught a few passes. I saw one over the middle where Poock popped him. I laughed imagining Gentry's reaction to the play call sending him over the middle. Holland has a lot of tools to work with but because of his sturdy frame they like to throw to him over the middle which means he's constantly catching the ball with someone on him or about to decleat him. He's going to very good in time. Jeff Jones' real gift at WR is that we can dump a short pass to him and he has the ability to make the first guy miss consistently.

4. Good question! I agree, we need JC back. Let's re-evaluate in the Fall.

5. I don't think the first unit played at all? It was Myrick-James-Rogers-McGhee until near the end.

6. That 56 yarder by Santoso was all leg. I mean, he didn't hit it in the sweet spot. It was a line drive that got there simply because of his monster leg. If he'd have hit that one square it would have cleared 66 yards.

7. Nugget was very impressive. Bam, bam, bam, bam, TOUCHDOWN! Reminded me a bit of his TD in the bowl game.

8. I suspect the staff wants Poock to win the job. We've seen this same dynamic several times under Kill where he creates a great competition and in the end, the older more mature player wins out. 17.5 tackles & the Defensive MVP certainly didn't hurt Poock's chances, lol.

9. Rhoda is what he is. A decent practice player.

10. 8 wins sounds right.

Some other thoughts:

- Duke McGhee really played well. He and Nugget nearly caused a nuclear explosion on one play in the hole. McGhee also played well ion coverage.

- Thumper Celestin had 13 tackles. Campbell better get it going.

- Myrick played very well and was "this close" to having an impressive pick that would have gone the other way.

- James absolutely popped someone (EJ Sardinha?)

- Sardinha had a circus catch in double coverage against Myrick and Rogers. He reached back across his body and one handed the ball. Myrick was in the right spot, Rogers failed to play the ball. Myrick let Rogers know he's gotta bat that one away after the play.

- Jack Lynn is our best LB, imo.

- Streveler is just an amazing athlete. He's not only deceivingly fast, but big and strong. What a stride the kid has.

- It's fun when you get to the point that half the guys playing aren't listed in the program. :)

1. Kafo is still raw, but did you see the way he's put together? That's what a B1G DE looks like. I'd be happy to see him get some snaps as a r-Soph and then compete for a starting spot as a r-Jr.

2. #44 is Kirsch I believe? Nice practice player. I'd be shocked if he ever played meaningful snaps in a game.

3. Gant is the most intriguing of the young WR's athletically and that showed in his separation. He's also the rawest/newest to the position and that showed in his drops. To bad Wolitarsky has the flu, he is our best WR right now. Maye is solid. Carter is our 3rd best WR, but it's a challenge to get him on the field behind Maye. Gentry caught a few passes. I saw one over the middle where Poock popped him. I laughed imagining Gentry's reaction to the play call sending him over the middle. Holland has a lot of tools to work with but because of his sturdy frame they like to throw to him over the middle which means he's constantly catching the ball with someone on him or about to decleat him. He's going to very good in time. Jeff Jones' real gift at WR is that we can dump a short pass to him and he has the ability to make the first guy miss consistently.

4. Good question! I agree, we need JC back. Let's re-evaluate in the Fall.

5. I don't think the first unit played at all? It was Myrick-James-Rogers-McGhee until near the end.

6. That 56 yarder by Santoso was all leg. I mean, he didn't hit it in the sweet spot. It was a line drive that got there simply because of his monster leg. If he'd have hit that one square it would have cleared 66 yards.

7. Nugget was very impressive. Bam, bam, bam, bam, TOUCHDOWN! Reminded me a bit of his TD in the bowl game.

8. I suspect the staff wants Poock to win the job. We've seen this same dynamic several times under Kill where he creates a great competition and in the end, the older more mature player wins out. 17.5 tackles & the Defensive MVP certainly didn't hurt Poock's chances, lol.

9. Rhoda is what he is. A decent practice player.

10. 8 wins sounds right.

Some other thoughts:

- Duke McGhee really played well. He and Nugget nearly caused a nuclear explosion on one play in the hole. McGhee also played well ion coverage.

- Thumper Celestin had 13 tackles. Campbell better get it going.

- Myrick played very well and was "this close" to having an impressive pick that would have gone the other way.

- James absolutely popped someone (EJ Sardinha?)

- Sardinha had a circus catch in double coverage against Myrick and Rogers. He reached back across his body and one handed the ball. Myrick was in the right spot, Rogers failed to play the ball. Myrick let Rogers know he's gotta bat that one away after the play.

- Jack Lynn is our best LB, imo.

- Streveler is just an amazing athlete. He's not only deceivingly fast, but big and strong. What a stride the kid has.

- It's fun when you get to the point that half the guys playing aren't listed in the program. :)

Good points CRG.

Side note, can we stop calling Leidner ML7?

Not a chance. I intend to use this approach exclusively for every player on the team. It is quick, easily recognizable, I'm going to claim I started it, and it is super super cool to do.

Not a chance. I intend to use this approach exclusively for every player on the team. It is quick, easily recognizable, I'm going to claim I started it, and it is super super cool to do.

I really don't think its "super super cool"... you could have an argument for just super cool though. Its definitely quick and easy.. just the way I like my women.

Completely agree. Is there a way we can get him on the field more often, without it being obvious we are going to run the ball when he takes a snap?

Go Gophers!!

Gant tried to basket catch the long TD. He was wide open by 10 yards and just laid out both hands like he was washing them in a sink, ball bounced right off the palms.

Top Bottom