STrib: Shakopee's Deven Eastern upfront about his challenges in becoming a Gopher

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Megan:

Deven Eastern sat in P.J. Fleck's office, his mother and his mentor by his side.

"Where have you been in your life up to this point," the Gophers coach asked the 17-year-old, "and what do you need in your life right now?"

The Shakopee defensive end could have given a surface-level answer, anything to preserve a recruiting relationship for the unranked player 12 months before Wednesday's early signing day. Telling the true story, all of its uncomfortable and vulnerable parts, was a risk.

But Eastern opened his mouth, and his heart came spilling out.

"He teared up and started talking to the coach about his life and what means the most to him," said his mentor, Mike Morris. "And it was very, very, very real."

Eastern spoke about his struggle with emotional behavioral disorders, his mom, his devotion to football, his dream to play in the NFL but more important, to be a good man. By the end of his deliverance, everyone was crying.

"He gave me a chance," Eastern said of Fleck. "He knew everything about my past. And he knew I had the potential to grow and become a better person. And that I've been working so hard.

"And he was the first guy to tell me that 'We'll get through it, and I'll help you through this. And we're more than just football here. We're family.'"

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom