STrib: Q&A with Richard Pitino: Gophers coach talks about keeping up with his team, recruits and new challenges this spring

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

Q: Can you find a big man this late in the recruiting process to make a big impact right away?

A:
I think the timing of Daniel telling us [he’s leaving] now helps us in recruiting, but it’s also very, very difficult because you can’t go anywhere. I think recruits are going to see a need right away. They’re going to see if you’re good enough that we’re going to get you the ball in the right spots. The hard part is we don’t know what the transfer rule is. We don’t know that. It could easily change here soon, and guys transferring would be immediately eligible. We all have got to be patient.

Q: How will Jamal Mashburn Jr. fit into the backcourt mix with starters Marcus Carr, Gabe Kalscheur and Payton Willis?

A:
I’m so excited about him. He’s similar to those three guys in the sense of he’s locked in on basketball. You watch him practice and you see him play, he’s a competitor. He doesn’t need to be promised anything. He doesn’t need to be told you’re going to play 30 minutes a game. He wants to go compete and play. That’s what I love about him. He’s going to come in and figure it out. He’s going to be put in the position like everybody else to succeed. He’s fearless. He can make shots. He’s got a little bit of Nate Mason in him where he can hit that mid-range jumper. I’m fired up about him. I like his versatility and I love his competitive spirit.

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom