STrib: Newcomers give Ben Johnson's Gophers backcourt experience and potential

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Marcus:

The Gophers' new floor leaders are also two of only five D-I guards who shot better than 40% from three-point range (Hawkins 46.6 and Mitchell 44.0) and averaged at least 5.0 assists (Hawkins 6.0 and Mitchell 5.0) last season.

"One thing we tried to do this offseason is find more playmakers," Johnson said. "First year we had it a little bit. I don't think last year we had it as much. So, we wanted to get back to that and take it up a notch. To find guys who can make plays for themselves and others was huge. We have more guys who can handle the ball, create offense, create flow and put pressure on the defense."

Before joining the Gophers this summer, Hawkins, who led Howard to the NCAA tournament last season, said he and Mitchell would "blend well" together as playmakers who can challenge the defense with their outside shooting.

"I feel like we're both unselfish," Hawkins said earlier. "I feel like that will definitely work. We can feed off each other because we both can shoot [and pass]. We both shot over 40 percent from three last year. So, I feel like us playing together will be great."

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom