STrib: New Gophers coach PJ Fleck scores points in contacting Minnesota high schools

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per STrib:

The honeymoon between the Minnesota football community and newly hired Gophers coach P.J. Fleck has shown no signs of abating. Fleck’s youth, boundless energy and persistent message, along with his coaching ability, appear to have won over many high school coaches and players in the state.

“I like him,” Totino-Grace coach Jeff Ferguson said. “He seems like a guy who can sell his culture and his philosophy. He’s a heck of a salesman and an outstanding recruiter. He’s done a really nice job wherever he’s been.”

The hyper-energetic Fleck didn’t waste a moment making himself known to the locals over the weekend. He attended the Minnesota Football Coaches Association coaches clinic Saturday morning, then made a beeline to the MFCA executive committee meeting in St. Louis Park. All the while, Fleck was fielding interview requests, working to bring recruits to Minnesota and trying to set up a coaching staff.

“I actually ran into him twice that day,” said Ferguson, an executive committee member. “The key is being true to who you are. You can tell that’s who he is. You can’t be fakey or the kids will see through that.”

Josh Helmholdt, Midwest recruiting analyst for Rivals.com and Yahoo Sports, said “recruits believe in Fleck, what he tells them and that he can get them to reach their potential.”

In attendance at a banquet not long after Fleck got hired at Western Michigan, Helmholdt marveled how well the young coach carried himself among a group of coaches that included Penn State’s James Franklin.

“Franklin is one of the best living room guys, one of the best recruiters, and Fleck still owned that room,” Helmholdt said. “He’s very engaging and he has a lot of confidence. The kids respond to that.”

http://www.mnfootballhub.com/news_article/show/743010

Go Gophers!!

“Franklin is one of the best living room guys, one of the best recruiters, and Fleck still owned that room,” Helmholdt said. “He’s very engaging and he has a lot of confidence. The kids respond to that.”

That's good to hear.

That's good to hear.

FORW, you beat me to it-I love this quote and it makes me very intrigued as to what type of players we'll be seeing on the field in a couple years for the Gophers.

Top Bottom