STrib: Minnesota to the NBA: Who could be in the next group making the jump?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

A year ago, former local prep stars Chet Holmgren (Minnehaha Academy), David Roddy (Breck School) and Kendall Brown (East Ridge) were picked in the 2022 NBA Draft, making 12 Minnesotans drafted since 2015 — and all but three of them taken in the 202-2022 drafts.)

Holmgren, the No. 2 overall pick by Oklahoma City last year, was the highest drafted Minnesotan ever, surpassing Gophers legend Kevin McHale of Hibbing going No. 3 to Boston in 1980.

It was also the second straight year when players from the land of 10,000 ballers — I mean, 10,000 lakes — were selected in the top five, following Holmgren's fellow Minnehaha Academy and Gonzaga star Jalen Suggs, who Orlando picked No. 5 in 2021.

The question now is who the next players will be to continue the pipeline from Minnesota to the NBA draft? Will it be a member of the Gophers or someone playing elsewhere?

Here are my top 10 NBA prospects from Minnesota prior to the 2023-24 college season, listed in alphabetical order:

Dawson Garcia, 6-11 forward, Gophers (Prior Lake)
– The only player on this list once listed on mock drafts. On NBA radar since his days as a McDonald's All-American in 2020. But Garcia likely needs a breakout year with more team success under third-year coach Ben Johnson to remind folks he's still a next-level talent.

Pharrel Payne, 6-9 forward, Gophers (Park of Cottage Grove) – No Big Ten freshman was more physically imposing than the 255-pound Payne, who led the Gophers with 35 dunks. He averaged nearly 15 points and seven rebounds in his last five starts over 22 minutes last season. Just imagine if he adds a consistent jumper.

Go Gophers!!

per Marcus:

A year ago, former local prep stars Chet Holmgren (Minnehaha Academy), David Roddy (Breck School) and Kendall Brown (East Ridge) were picked in the 2022 NBA Draft, making 12 Minnesotans drafted since 2015 — and all but three of them taken in the 202-2022 drafts.)

Holmgren, the No. 2 overall pick by Oklahoma City last year, was the highest drafted Minnesotan ever, surpassing Gophers legend Kevin McHale of Hibbing going No. 3 to Boston in 1980.

It was also the second straight year when players from the land of 10,000 ballers — I mean, 10,000 lakes — were selected in the top five, following Holmgren's fellow Minnehaha Academy and Gonzaga star Jalen Suggs, who Orlando picked No. 5 in 2021.

The question now is who the next players will be to continue the pipeline from Minnesota to the NBA draft? Will it be a member of the Gophers or someone playing elsewhere?

Here are my top 10 NBA prospects from Minnesota prior to the 2023-24 college season, listed in alphabetical order:

Dawson Garcia, 6-11 forward, Gophers (Prior Lake)
– The only player on this list once listed on mock drafts. On NBA radar since his days as a McDonald's All-American in 2020. But Garcia likely needs a breakout year with more team success under third-year coach Ben Johnson to remind folks he's still a next-level talent.

Pharrel Payne, 6-9 forward, Gophers (Park of Cottage Grove) – No Big Ten freshman was more physically imposing than the 255-pound Payne, who led the Gophers with 35 dunks. He averaged nearly 15 points and seven rebounds in his last five starts over 22 minutes last season. Just imagine if he adds a consistent jumper.

Go Gophers!!
Article was just throwing names out. How is Kerwin Walton on this list 😂

Article was just throwing names out. How is Kerwin Walton on this list 😂
Who knows what happens with people, but how is Ahjany Lee any more likely to play in the NBA than JOJ or Aligbe?

Does he really think Kerwin Walton has a better chance at playing in the NBA than Taison Chatman?

His list feels like a list of "hey I can list guys from Minnesota".

Who knows what happens with people, but how is Ahjany Lee any more likely to play in the NBA than JOJ or Aligbe?

Does he really think Kerwin Walton has a better chance at playing in the NBA than Taison Chatman?

His list feels like a list of "hey I can list guys from Minnesota".
This is Marcus we are talking about, plus most people reading the sports section in the Strib are probably very casual observers of amateur hoops. Their reaction is proably "cool, a list of guys from Minnesota"

I’d give Ahjany Lee a chance. Athletic as all get out, good size, can block shots, explosive jumper. Excellent free throw shooter (84%).

No question his skills have to catch up to his athleticism. Mostly a put-back and dunk type player right now. Like Payne, only a sophomore, with time to grow.

Last edited:

I’d give Ahjany Lee a chance. Athletic as all get out, good size, can block shots, explosive jumper. Excellent free throw shooter (84%).

No question his skills have to catch up to his athleticism. Mostly a put-back and dunk type player right now. Like Payne, only a sophomore, with time to grow.
No chance, and I’m this board’s resident UST fan.

Top Bottom