STrib: MIAC rivals plot ouster of St. Thomas

The game is going to go away and St. Thomas is going to begin their climb up to MVFC eventually.

Maybe. While on one hand Villanova plays full scholarship FCS football, they are the lone outlier. Georgetown is grandfathered into a league that went from only need-based aid to scholarship, but run their program like DIII and are too proud to downgrade to the Pioneer. Butler is in the Pioneer. The rest don’t have varsity football. (EDIT: I don’t think UConn applies in this discussion, as clearly a different animal than a Catholic private school)

I think if they want to make a true run at the Big East, they need to go Pioneer in football or drop it.

If not, if they’re content with the Summit and playing public schools on the I-29 corridor for a couple decades, and losing to the Dakota schools in football, they can give the MVFC route a try.

I don’t think they can do both.

Last edited:

I think almost 100%.

Agreed.

Almost seems certain that the whole “involuntary” removal was a song and dance to give UST something to put on the waiver form.

Don’t think they’d announce the Summit, or the Summit would vote on it, if they didn’t have strong assurances from the NCAA.

I will be happy to have a second D-1 baseball and basketball program within the state. More opportunities for the youth.

I will be happy to have a second D-1 baseball and basketball program within the state. More opportunities for the youth.

Saint Thomas coming into the Barn would be more interesting than some other non-conference matchups would be. I would suppose we could pay them less to play here because there would be essentially no travel costs. Good baseball matchup too. If they want the Gophers to play baseball at St. Thomas, they'd have to expand Koch Diamond past 250, otherwise all the games would have to be played at Siebert Field (Or US Bank Stadium).

Saint Thomas coming into the Barn would be more interesting than some other non-conference matchups would be. I would suppose we could pay them less to play here because there would be essentially no travel costs. Good baseball matchup too. If they want the Gophers to play baseball at St. Thomas, they'd have to expand Koch Diamond past 250, otherwise all the games would have to be played at Siebert Field (Or US Bank Stadium).

Or Target Field - a midweek game while the Twins are on the road.

But then you’d have to pay rent at Target field. Unless the demand for seating truly exceeded Siebert’s capacity, no reason not to play at the Gopher home facility. Same goes for basketball at Williams (as opposed to Target Center).

Hockey could be a different animal, depending if UST’s new Summit friends North Dakota, Denver, and Omaha decided to bootstrap the program into the NCHC (along with say Mankato). Far fetched idea I’m sure.

Last edited:

I like one game a year at Target Field. I get to sit in the seats that I'd never be able to afford - those nice cushioned seats behind home plate.

But then you’d have to pay rent at Target field. Unless the demand for seating truly exceeded Siebert’s capacity, no reason not to play at the Gopher home facility. Same goes for basketball at Williams (as opposed to Target Center).

Hockey could be a different animal, depending if UST’s new Summit friends North Dakota, Denver, and Omaha decided to bootstrap the program into the NCHC (along with say Mankato). Far fetched idea I’m sure.

Yeah a lot of these "wouldn't it be nice" proposals include a lot of extra costs / inflexibility. And a hell of a lot of empty seats in some cases.

UST doesn't seat more than 250. Gophers rarely draw their 1500 capacity at Siebert. I'm willing to bet Siebert would be just fine.

Nah, it would be a Dave St. Peter special.

I am under the impression the Gophers and Tommies already play each other on some level. Could be a scrimmage. etc.

Do they go independent in hockey and then maybe B1G along with ASU?

Sounds like the UST women's hockey would get a WCHA invite.

If the concentrated Midwest Great Lakes schools drop the AL and AK schools, that conference with Mankato and Bemidji seems very comfortable.

I am under the impression the Gophers and Tommies already play each other on some level. Could be a scrimmage. etc.

The baseball team often plays one or two games against D-III teams.

per Shooter:

There’s whispering that Division III University of St. Thomas, hoping to land in the Division I Summit League, is considering building a basketball-hockey arena on the site of the Tommies football stadium. If that happens, it wouldn’t be surprising if the football team, probably headed for the non-scholarship Pioneer League, moves to Alliance Field for home games.

Meanwhile, St. Thomas has talked to the WCHA about joining for men’s and women’s hockey.

By the way, don’t count out the revenue-sharing Big East Conference for St. Thomas.

https://www.twincities.com/2019/10/...on-likes-him-for-manager-of-year-100-percent/

Go Gophers!!

Is talking to yourself considered whispering?

per Shooter:

There’s whispering that Division III University of St. Thomas, hoping to land in the Division I Summit League, is considering building a basketball-hockey arena on the site of the Tommies football stadium. If that happens, it wouldn’t be surprising if the football team, probably headed for the non-scholarship Pioneer League, moves to Alliance Field for home games.

Meanwhile, St. Thomas has talked to the WCHA about joining for men’s and women’s hockey.

By the way, don’t count out the revenue-sharing Big East Conference for St. Thomas.

https://www.twincities.com/2019/10/...on-likes-him-for-manager-of-year-100-percent/

Go Gophers!!

Allianz Field?..

Allianz Field?..

MNUFC allowing weekly football would be the worst decision they could make.
They can't keep the turf well enough the way it is without football.

They just had to re-sod the whole field this week because it was such a disaster for soccer.

They just had to re-sod the whole field this week because it was such a disaster for soccer.

Maybe they could work out something to upgrade Concordia’s stadium and share that?

Or the stadium at Central High.

{sigh} The team found out their stadium had a drainage problem and fixed it last week before adding their new grass from Wisconsin.

Another alternative could be to leave the track and football stadium as is, move the baseball diamond to the south field (similar to softball), and build a new arena at the current baseball site.

Top Bottom