STrib: MIAC rivals plot ouster of St. Thomas

A_Slab_of_Bacon

Looks great on a map. Classic venue.

Needs millions of $$$ for new ice making equipment. Which is partly why the state tournament left.
Also need to work it out with the State Fair folks, granted they might be open to it, but it's another party you have to make a deal with. I'm not 100% sure even if someone threw free ice equipment into it if they'd want to get back in the game.

Schnauzer

Pretty Sure You are Wrong
St. Thomas community Q&A page says they are actively pursuing D1 options for Hockey and Football. Hmmmm

MnplsGopher

Other big looming question is what about Tommy Johnny football game.

If ST goes for the Pioneer route, then there is no reason they can't play a yearly non-conf game against a DIII opponent. The Pioneer teams have zero chance for an at large bid. So it's win the conference or bust, which the non-con doesn't do anything for or against that.

But if they somehow decided to go for the MVFC route, the game would be dead.

Unless SJ/SB somehow decided to also move up to DI. But that is a much more flawed proposal. Even combined, I think they have well less than half of ST's endowment and well less than half of ST's enrollment. Both are true liberal arts colleges, rather than (trending towards) a comprehensive university. Both are outside the Cities market. Fine for driving up for a weekend game, but much harder for a weekday (especially in winter). Don't think they can get it done, without some massive gifts.

Bob_Loblaw

Other big looming question is what about Tommy Johnny football game.

If ST goes for the Pioneer route, then there is no reason they can't play a yearly non-conf game against a DIII opponent. The Pioneer teams have zero chance for an at large bid. So it's win the conference or bust, which the non-con doesn't do anything for or against that.

But if they somehow decided to go for the MVFC route, the game would be dead.

Unless SJ/SB somehow decided to also move up to DI. But that is a much more flawed proposal. Even combined, I think they have well less than half of ST's endowment and well less than half of ST's enrollment. Both are true liberal arts colleges, rather than (trending towards) a comprehensive university. Both are outside the Cities market. Fine for driving up for a weekend game, but much harder for a weekday (especially in winter). Don't think they can get it done, without some massive gifts.
The game is going to go away and St. Thomas is going to begin their climb up to MVFC eventually.

I saw some speculation on another option:

If the Summit has 6 teams playing D1 football, they could make that a "conference" sport. Like the B1G with hockey once they had 6 teams.

The question is whether that would be optional or mandatory. Which I cannot answer without diving into the Summit League by-laws.

But that at least presents another possible route.

Panthadad2

I saw some speculation on another option:

If the Summit has 6 teams playing D1 football, they could make that a "conference" sport. Like the B1G with hockey once they had 6 teams.

The question is whether that would be optional or mandatory. Which I cannot answer without diving into the Summit League by-laws.

But that at least presents another possible route.
Interesting. I could see NDSU and SDSU being against that. It's probably tough to get non-conference FCS teams to play them.

Lakeville Goldy

For hockey I wonder if they could play at Aldrich Arena. Seats 3200. Might be adequate for their needs. Not sure about scheduling since it is the home ice of both White Bear Lake and Hill Murray...

RodentRampage

How likely is it that the NCAA will give them a waiver? It makes me wonder if they have an unofficial offer of a waiver.

MnplsGopher

The game is going to go away and St. Thomas is going to begin their climb up to MVFC eventually.
Maybe. While on one hand Villanova plays full scholarship FCS football, they are the lone outlier. Georgetown is grandfathered into a league that went from only need-based aid to scholarship, but run their program like DIII and are too proud to downgrade to the Pioneer. Butler is in the Pioneer. The rest don’t have varsity football. (EDIT: I don’t think UConn applies in this discussion, as clearly a different animal than a Catholic private school)

I think if they want to make a true run at the Big East, they need to go Pioneer in football or drop it.

If not, if they’re content with the Summit and playing public schools on the I-29 corridor for a couple decades, and losing to the Dakota schools in football, they can give the MVFC route a try.

I don’t think they can do both.

Last edited:

MnplsGopher

I think almost 100%.
Agreed.

Almost seems certain that the whole “involuntary” removal was a song and dance to give UST something to put on the waiver form.

Don’t think they’d announce the Summit, or the Summit would vote on it, if they didn’t have strong assurances from the NCAA.

DarrenTheGreek

Gov. Victory Bell Ringer
I will be happy to have a second D-1 baseball and basketball program within the state. More opportunities for the youth.

RodentRampage

I will be happy to have a second D-1 baseball and basketball program within the state. More opportunities for the youth.
Saint Thomas coming into the Barn would be more interesting than some other non-conference matchups would be. I would suppose we could pay them less to play here because there would be essentially no travel costs. Good baseball matchup too. If they want the Gophers to play baseball at St. Thomas, they'd have to expand Koch Diamond past 250, otherwise all the games would have to be played at Siebert Field (Or US Bank Stadium).

Ski U Mah Gopher

Member of the Tribe
Saint Thomas coming into the Barn would be more interesting than some other non-conference matchups would be. I would suppose we could pay them less to play here because there would be essentially no travel costs. Good baseball matchup too. If they want the Gophers to play baseball at St. Thomas, they'd have to expand Koch Diamond past 250, otherwise all the games would have to be played at Siebert Field (Or US Bank Stadium).
Or Target Field - a midweek game while the Twins are on the road.

MnplsGopher

But then you’d have to pay rent at Target field. Unless the demand for seating truly exceeded Siebert’s capacity, no reason not to play at the Gopher home facility. Same goes for basketball at Williams (as opposed to Target Center).

Hockey could be a different animal, depending if UST’s new Summit friends North Dakota, Denver, and Omaha decided to bootstrap the program into the NCHC (along with say Mankato). Far fetched idea I’m sure.

Last edited:

RodentRampage

I like one game a year at Target Field. I get to sit in the seats that I'd never be able to afford - those nice cushioned seats behind home plate.

A_Slab_of_Bacon

But then you’d have to pay rent at Target field. Unless the demand for seating truly exceeded Siebert’s capacity, no reason not to play at the Gopher home facility. Same goes for basketball at Williams (as opposed to Target Center).

Hockey could be a different animal, depending if UST’s new Summit friends North Dakota, Denver, and Omaha decided to bootstrap the program into the NCHC (along with say Mankato). Far fetched idea I’m sure.
Yeah a lot of these "wouldn't it be nice" proposals include a lot of extra costs / inflexibility. And a hell of a lot of empty seats in some cases.

DarrenTheGreek

Gov. Victory Bell Ringer
UST doesn't seat more than 250. Gophers rarely draw their 1500 capacity at Siebert. I'm willing to bet Siebert would be just fine.

Latest profile posts

Hi guys, I'm new here! Since I can remember, I’ve always been a sports fan. I haven’t been a student for a long time, but I have a direct bearing on student life and educational programmes so please feel free to write me on any matter!
I have been in the tech business for a very long time. I am now familiar with the ins and outs of the hacking, cracking, monitoring, and other related fields. Currently, my goal is spread information on these topics through blog. You can check out my “snapchat hack download” article to get an idea of what I’m up to.
I could see pitino being a lock for Syracuse if that job opens up. He was raised in NYC and has family in the North East.