STrib: Lindsay Whalen's $900K Golden Valley home was once a Gopher gathering spot

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per STrib:

Two years ago, when basketball great Lindsay Whalen was making the transition from professional player to coach, she and her husband, Ben Greve, bought a villa in Golden Valley’s Hidden Lakes community.

“We’d lived in the neighborhood before, in a townhouse,” said Whalen, head coach of the University of Minnesota women’s basketball team, who, as a player, earned two world titles, two Olympic gold medals and four WNBA championships with the Minnesota Lynx.

“When I was playing for the Lynx, it was perfect,” she said. It was just five minutes from downtown Minneapolis and Target Center, yet quiet and peaceful.”

The 4,129-square-foot house, which sits across from a park and was built in 2001, has great spaces for entertaining, and Whalen made the most of them.

“We hosted Thanksgiving for the team [Gophers],” she said, as well as various other gatherings for her players — “a lot of team functions, team bonding.” The home was also the go-to spot for their extended family on holidays.

Whalen liked their generously sized dining room, where they could extend the table and accommodate 20 to 30 people. “Then we’d play games in the basement” — the walkout lower level, which features a two-sided fireplace, a bar and an impressive collection of framed sports jerseys.

Go Gophers!!

That neighborhood abutting Theodore Wirth Golf Course is beautiful. A hidden gem.

Yes. The view of downtown from parts of the golf course are beautiful. I enjoy looking @ Carl Ellers house on the back nine. Good for her and her family.

And, it is not unusual for college coaches in big time programs to have large houses to host gatherings and recruiting visits (remember those.....someday they will happen again). Pam Borton had a similar "large" house in a different part of Golden Valley with a large back yard and large rooms and a large basement for such events.

Last edited:

While we're on the subject of Golden Valley:

I think it's sad that it was merged into the Hopkins school district. It should still be its own district, with its own public high school.

Top Bottom